Jazz Notes ....

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Tiassa, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Staff Member

So the thing is that I come to Freddie Hubbard's Blue Spirits while following up on Harold Mabern, Jr. And the thing is that it's possible to get to certain albums from any ridiculous number of vectors. Ayler's Ghosts, for instance, reissued after his death as Ayler/Cherry, Vibrations; I've seen a third version, though I forget what it's called, but I'm pretty certain it's for Sunny Murray. In Hubbard's case, though, well, check these vectors, because this opening paragraph of the Wikipedia entry↱ is just one of those:

Blue Spirits is the tenth album by trumpeter Freddie Hubbard released on the Blue Note label. It would be his last studio album for Blue Note, only followed up by the live album the next year; The Night of the Cookers. It features performances by Hubbard, James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, Harold Mabern, Jr., Larry Ridley, Clifford Jarvis, Big Black, Kiane Zawadi, Hank Mobley, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw, Pete LaRoca. The CD release added tracks from a 1966 session featuring Hosea Taylor, Herbie Hancock, Reggie Workman, and Elvin Jones.

Yeah, that's all of two songs from that second session. And it's easy to see why the diverse, earlier session makes for a good release. But it's nearly absurd that he had Taylor, Hancock, Workman, and Jones, and the result waited thirty-seven years for release.

Still, though, the Wiki article notes Allmusic gives the album four stars, while the Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide awards all of one star. How ... interesting. And here I am wondering what Mabern has to do to score better than three from either of them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Its a bit melancholic and not to innovative, in my opinion. And the flute seems somewhat sharp in contrast.

link:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Staff Member

Not That I'm Intending to Buy One

It started with the idea of, "What the hell is that?" And it turned out that was a Fender Jaco Pastorius Jazz Bass↱. It's not quite six degrees of Wikipedia, but it was an interesting tumble down the wikihole, anyway:

Jaco Pastorius↱ ― Yes, really ... that good. So good, in fact, he thought it a good idea to do a steelpan↱ album. There is a claim, not properly cited, that the steelpan is the only instrument "made to play in the Pythagorian musical cycle of fourths and fifths". Then again, neither am I about to attempt to explain Pythagorean intervals↱ or their significance at the moment―or anytime in the foreseeable future―but Pythagorean tuning↱ reminds that there really is science behind music, though, sure, there are plenty of reminders when we get right down to it. And if "Pythagorean tuning is a tuning of the syntonic temperament in which the generator is the ratio 3:2 ... which is 702 cents wide". Which, in turn, is good to know, and out of all that what I find fascinating is a cent↱. And somewhere on that page I got sick of seeing the phrase just intonation↱, so I clicked it. And at some point I got interrupted, but I think the next proper degree is to return to "equal temperament"↱, another term I am tired of seeing without clicking.​

You know, because I just had to click on "steelpan".

Still ... Jaco Pastorius.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.