Japanese Whale slaughter

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Asguard, Feb 7, 2008.

?

What should the Australian goverment do

1. Im Australian and i think we should do nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Im Australian and i think we should gather evidence for action in the fed court

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Im Australian and i think gather evidence for the world court

16.7%
  4. Im Australian and i think we should send in ARMED coustoms ships and the Navy to stop the whaling

11.1%
  5. Im Not Australian and i think we should do nothing

5.6%
  6. Im Not Australian and i think we should gather evidence for action in the fed court

5.6%
  7. Im Not Australian and i think we should gather evidence for the world court

11.1%
  8. Im Not Australian and i think we should send in ARMED ships and the Navy to stop the whaling

38.9%
  9. Other (please specify)

5.6%
  10. Not interested

5.6%
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I dont have a link yet, will try to post one latter. The unarmed customs ship the oceanic viking has been down in antiatica taking photoes of the Japanise waling fleet. They have filmed the slaughter of a mother wale and her calf and the goverment are taking legal advice over who they can procicute on this and where

Now recently there was a case in the federal court that ruled that a) our claim over the majority of antatica was legal, b) that the area the Japaness are waling in is our exculsive economic zone. This means that the Japaness must abide by Australian fishing laws (as well as all the rest) which means that the waling is a criminal action under Australian law.

The courts also encoraged the federal goverment to take more active action against the Japanise fleet including boarding and areasting ships crews

Now i would be interested in seeing what people opinions are, I will leave this as a NON anomouse poll, if people wish me to change this PM me and i will

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The origional video is also avialable on that link but i wont post it here. I havent watched it, i find the whole thing sickning. If the federal court gave the goverment the right to send the RAN and Armed customs and fisheries ships to intercept, board and detain then i think they should do so.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

The world court. If we sent an Armed customs ship, we'd be portrayed as bullies etc. Although I wouldn't mind sticking to principles, I know thats not going to happen, even with a labor government.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bells Staff Member

Lets face it, we cannot force them to stop, even if we take them to the world court. If we could declare that area of the Antarctic as being Australian waters purely for conservation, then we could be justified in sending an armed ship down there to stop them. But we can't and we won't. Australia would never fire on a Japanese whaling vessel because we would not want to ruin the relationship we currently have with the Japanese Government.

And lets face it, Garrett has turned into one of the biggest two faced liars that ever walked this earth. I mean the idiot approved the pulp mill. The PULP MILL!!

He will not do anything and will simply tow the line.

8. Bells Staff Member

Apparently, that's supposed to make it "ok".

God damn bastards!!

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

In a few years there won't be any whales left for them to "harvest" so that should put a stop to them doing this. As soon as all parts of the ocean are polluted, which today over 50 percent of it already is, then more fish will become extinct and fewer problems will arise with the way they do business.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

are these whales endangered?

11. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Ever see the chaser's parody of him ?

So true.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIsJCR6w1Vg

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Arrest them for breaking Australian law in Australian territory?

Ask yourself what Japan would do if Australia sent a fishing fleet to its waters without permission and violated Japanese laws there. At the very least they'd tell them to get the hell out and never come back, more likely they'd be arrested. And who'd be responsible for damaging relations? Australia.

Just like Japan is responsible for damaging them in this case.

13. superstring01 Moderator

As an American, I think we should invade and occoupy the country over this issue... wait, is there oil in this "Japan" place?

Oh... just wales, you say....

But they can be tunred into oil...?

YES, INVASION then!

~String

14. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Hehe. Humanity hasn't changed, has it string ?

15. superstring01 Moderator

Just bigger clubs and sharper spears**!

~String

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I'd like to get our claim recognized over the waters internationally (has it already ?), before we start arresting random people. that way, we're watertight with the international community.

17. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Ah I thought it was already recognized, but apparently the Antarctic Treaty forbids international claims.

Not much you can do then except lodge a protest with the Japanese government for all the good it'll do. Maybe fit a ship with some kind of sound generator that will scare the whales away and follow the whaling fleet around with it. :shrug:

18. John99 Banned Banned

Ignorance

Intelligence

There is no competition.

If you have to chase people around in a boat how much hope is there?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

What intelligence?

Really, all I see is the the old adage, if at first you don't succeed get a bigger Hammer.

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

Thy are when the Japanese are about

21. Myles Registered Senior Member

You are right I am sad to say

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

How about economic sanctions ? I suspect such a policy would never be implemented across the board. Vested interests.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

As far as i know the only three countries that surport whaling are Japan, Norway and South Koria. The anti whaling countries (ie those for whom its a large political issue) are mostly Australia, NZ and Britton. Its a HUGE issue here because whales actually come into our coasts and are a HUGE tourist assest here.

Changer that clip is so sad but true. I used to admire him alot and i know as a goverment offical he has to make compromises but this many?

Bells im not sure about that, if any other nation invaded our teriotial fishing waters we have no problem boarding and aresting the crew. Why is Japan so different, esspecially after the fed court ORDERED the goverment to go and do it. I cant actually think of anyother case where the courts have been ignored by the goverment (they bitch and moan about decisions, and they might drag there heels but they dont normally ignore them)

Maybe we should start a pertision to force the goverment to action even if it WOULD piss the US off. Showing we would stand up to Japan could even improve our relationship with china. Its an international whale preserve for christ sake AND its been ruled to be our eclusive economic reserve so we DO have the law on our side. Whats next whaling in sydney harbor because the Japs dont recognise THAT as our exculisive economic zone either??????

Its time we stoped pissing around about this, infact there is a good case for the Japanise to be charged with piracy over the sea sheped incident as well but that seems to have disapeared as well

On a side note i am surprised that this thread exploded after i posted the piture, seems photos DO have power