It is time for us athiests to stand up for ourselves.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by fellowtraveler, Jan 2, 2010.

?

Is being an atheist less acceptable than it was in the last 30 years in America ?

Poll closed Jan 3, 2010.
  1. yes, most definately

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. no, it is the same as it was

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I am not sure, but sense that is the trend

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. I really don`t know

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

I have started to do so just lately, the last year or so. I was always to some degree been ashamed of myself for going along with those friends and relatives who took it for granted I had some belief in god to get along and such with them. I do not go around proclaiming my non-belief in utter non-sense, but, if it comes up I SOMETIMES ONLY tell them I do not believe in any god. It can be very difficult and at times I try and change the subject and such. I have no desire to alienate my relatives. And I do understand that it is sometimes the only thing keeping them going and some discretion is necessary.
    But I feel a growing need in me to be honest about it with people who are not that important to me and am willing to do so.
    This came up in a nudie bar of all places lately for me.One of the dancers was sitting near me and said you are an athiest, aren`t you in this really self rightious manner. I said no, I am an ANTI-THEIST and explained the difference. Now , here in this NUDIE BAR, some guys start gathering around, NOT THAT MANY, 3 OR 4, and I am ready for whatever. So she rants on and I stand my ground. Some of them start sucking up with her and arguing with me and such. Nothing else came of it. No fights and such. But I still don`t know quite what to make of it. I perhaps made a few new enemies. I am not worried about that very much though I do not like it.
    It was a bit unexpected and I am not sure how she knew I was an atheist and chose to make an issue about it. I am a generous tipper and get along there well with most anyone.
    It seems to me atheists are the ones under attack here in America to a considerable degree.
    What is with this what I perceive as a somewhat new, here in America, obsession with religion ? ...fellowtraveler

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i'd say it's attributable to codependence. and that sucks.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I can only hope that in sciforums you are treated better than you were in the nudie bar. You would think they would be more sympathetic since they too are no doubt under fire from at least some theists.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

does anyone else think that the fact that you were in a nudie bar when this happened is ironic?

i think irony is funny.

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I think more atheists should stand up in nudie bars.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

yeah. make a stand and take the nudie bars back from the religious people. lol.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I can't see why anyone would want to stand up and say or do or be anything as far as what they believe. If you believe in god, fine, why say anything about it? And if someone asks, tell them you don't want to talk about it, ain't none of their business. And that goes especially true in a nudie bar!!??

What people believe should be their own business, and it should remain that way.

Baron Max

11. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: I thought it quite ironic. She gets up on a stage and shows all there is to show and launches into me for my lack of a belief in what I assume is the christian god. I never got the chance to ask her how she reconciles her lewd behavior with these strange beliefs. But I am sure she has it all figured out somehow. Baring her crotch for jesus ? ...traveler

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, you'll have to forgive me, but I just don't believe your story! I've been in nudie bars by the gazillions and never had anyone ask me about my believe in god ....nor did anyone ask about religion in any way. Nope, sorry, but I just can't believe that it happened. I think you made up the story just to post this issue about "standing up for yourself as an athiest.

Baron Max

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I don't believe your story either. I think you made up the fact that you've been in gazillions of of nudie bars just so you could mention that you've been in gazillions of nude bars.

Hell, I don't even believe what I've said in this thread.

14. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: I never said a word about my atheism to her. I may have said it to one of the other women who works there. I am not sure. I have taken a few of them out and it may have come up somehow. I never said a thing there at the bar about it and was surely not looking to make trouble with anyone. ...traveler

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

How many is a "gazillion", Doreen?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I often question my sanity just for logging onto this place .....and it gets worse when I start actually posting remarks on threads! There's just got to be something wrong with people who come here and post on this site. With billions of good books to read, why in hell would I bother posting on this damned site? ...and know all along that doing so is stupid, idiotic, worthless, sick, foolish, innane, silly, childish, ......(there must me more similar adjectives, but I just can't think of them all).

Baron Max, diseased, sick individual for posting here.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I can't find the proper choice on the poll. I find being an atheist is more acceptable than ever. Of course you will still run into people that are shocked by that point of view. But, the New Atheist authors are on the best seller lists, so something is changing.

17. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: It happened just the way I said it did. And take a flyer at a roller for calling me a liar. ...Traveler

18. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Baron, nice piece of self bagglish!
    impressed/

19. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

I love it when all the good religious folk go into prayer (at weddings for example) and all close their eyes in unison, I quickly look around at all the other atheists and make course gestures of a guy on a cross and shit like that. Smirking during prayer is frowned upon mind you.

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

But if you don't stand up as an atheist in a nudie bar you are just a chicken atheist.

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

At least a few more times than you've been in a nudie bar you fibber.

I made fun of books for years, but it was never satisfying. They just lie there, flopped open, no matter how well I zing 'em.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yep, unless they do that, I don't see how people can even call themselves proper atheists! Isn't that one of the initiation rites to become a proper atheist these days?

Baron Max

23. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Oh, yeah, you say this now with a fake name, anonymously on the internet, but I'll bet if challenged by a nude woman in a bar, you'd say you were a Presbyterian or something, just in case.