Israels use of Cluster Bombs in the recent conflict

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Zakariya04, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dear all,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on the following taken from a piece written by Franklin Lamb

According to Israeli soldiers, reported in the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz on Sept. 13, the Israeli military launched over 1.2 million cluster bombs into Lebanon, and used phosphorous shells as well -- "the overwhelming majority used in the last ten days of the war." The use of phosphorous, which causes excruciating burns, is prohibited under international law.

An Israeli rocket unit commander stated that because the Israeli rockets are so imprecise, his unit was ordered to "flood" the area with them. The soldiers said that during IDF training exercises live rockets are almost never fired, to prevent leaving duds behind that would "fill the IDF's firing grounds with mines." Yet, the soldiers said, Israeli forces in Lebanon fired the rockets at ranges of less than 15 kilometers, "even though the manufacturer's guidelines state that firing at this range considerably increases the number of duds."

The rocket commander, who said he had complained to Israel's Defense Minister but has received no response, stated: "In Lebanon, we covered entire villages with cluster bombs. What we did there was crazy and monstrous."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Dear Zakariya04,

who is Franklin Lamb?

regards,

Spuriousmonkey

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Destroyer Banned Banned

Who was the the rocket commander? Was he named in the piece?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Obviously I am biased according to all, but I wouldn't be suprised if the story had an element of truth.

8. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Dr. Franklin Lamb, is an international lawyer and author of "Israel's War in Lebanon: Eyewitness Chronicles of the Invasion and Occupation,"

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

1.2 million cluster bombs? Holy Shit!! As I recall, the Iraeli jets can carry only two of those bombs at a time ...so that makes over 500,000 aircraft runs bombing over Lebanon. Now I might be all wrong, but I don't think it's even possible for the Israeli Air Force to fly that many sorties during such a short war. In fact, I'm not even sure that the Americans flew that many sorties in all of World War II!!

Think about it .....that's just one helluva lot of bombing runs!

Baron Max

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I think if we are talking about the individual cluster bomblets, an aircraft can carry upto 2000 at a time.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, no ...I don't think so! If we're talking about the little bomblets, I don't think one cluster bomb can carry 1,000 of those things! That's a helluva lot of bomblets to pack into a cluster bomb. If I remember correctly, even the largest cluster bomb carries only about 100 bomblets ....and that's the BIGGEST cluster bomb. Most of them only carry about 50 or less.

Something is fuckin' wrong in Denmark!!!! Or is it that people will say and post any-fuckin'-thing to further their own agenda and bias?

Surely there must be some honest person left on Earth??!! I mean, even one??? Geez, are human babies born with the ability to lie and cheat, for god's sake?!?

Baron Max

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That is not what I meant.
    Here:
    Check out this site:
    http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/cluster.htm

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Sam, Sam, Sam! A B-52 is a HUGE, HUGE bomber and Israel has none of them. The CBU-58 and CBU-71's are HUGE, HUGE fuckin' bombs and can't be carried on little, tiny combat jets like the F-15 and F-16's. And notice, please, that even these HUGE, HUGE bombs only carry 1700 bomblets!!

C'mon, Sam, use that pretty little, scientific brain of yours ...and some good ol' high school arithmetic.

Baron Max

14. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Hey Baron,

thank you for this....

but whats wrong with denmark???

I imagine the guy in the article was talking about the bomblets as sam has stated

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

1.2 million bomblets is still one helluva lot of little, tiny bomblets! How the fuck did those little bomblets GET to Lebanon? I don't think they could have been carried by any of the planes that Israel has. So now what? Teleportation?

Baron Max

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Well, they design airplanes to carry bombs. It's not like they had to take them there with handluggage on commercial flights and toss them out the window.

17. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Read the thread, Spurious, ....read it more carefuly and use some of your high school arithmetic to figure it out for yourself.

Baron Max

18. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hye Baron,

Thank you for your posts.

are cluster type munitions not fired from Artilery based systems then????

I can imagine the buffalo getting very excited when he starts reading this lot....eeeekkkk

19. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

hi destroyer

sorry i missed this

no he wasnt

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

If you had read the thread you would have seen how they fired the cluster bombs in the first post.

21. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And how many would be required to put 1.2 million little bomblets on the ground in Lebanon, Spurious? Please explain that to me, okay?

1.2 million of almost anything is a lot of things, like ....a helluva lot of things! Use some common arithmetic to calculate how those little things got onto the Lebonese soil.

"Fired the cluster bombs"? Spurious, the little cluster bomblets are dropped, not fired! Read it again, Spurious, you're obviously missing something.

Baron Max

22. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

Baron you are funny

You are quite happy to mess around with semantics to divert from the real issue of the story.

But here goes say there was 1.2million bomblets fired and say each bomb was carrying 500 bomblets

the maths there is 2400 bnombs or rockets

say a few of them were dropped from planes but i think most of them were fired from artilery guns or similar weapons as the article refers to rockets

ok so we have 5 artilery guns firing lets say a round every 3 minutes which accounts for 20 an hour per gun which is a total of 100 in an hour and 2400 in 24 hours... So it can probably be easily done.

the guy who wrtoe the article is a lawyer... i would hope he would have researched all this and cheked his facts as is instinctive for lwayers to do one would imagine.

Anyway the fact of the matter is israels indiscriminate use of cluster munitions on non military targets...

23. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

More the 250 air strikes and 4000 rocket attack was directed to the area doing the day...

The bombardment started at day break and lasted for 7 hours, worst area to be hit was the village Aitaroun.