Israeli air strike on Syria

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Sep 13, 2007.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

A week after Syria accused Israel of infiltrating its airspace and jettisoning ammunition in its territory, officials in both Damascus and Jerusalem continue to keep the details of the incident under a heavy veil of secrecy. Syria lodged a formal complaint with the United Nations on Tuesday, saying that Israel's "breach of airspace of the Syrian Arab Republic" constituted a "flagrant violation." Israeli officials, meanwhile, continue to maintain a studied silence.

In recent days, however, several reports have emerged quoting anonymous US sources confirming that the Israeli foray took place and suggesting Israeli forces had carried out a provocative attack on a strategic target.

CNN reported that the attack, which took place in northern Syria overnight between Sept. 5 and 6, may have targeted weapons shipments from Iran en route to Hizbullah guerrillas in Lebanon. The news network added that its sources suggested that the strike included Israeli ground forces, which helped the aircraft pinpoint a strike that left behind "a large hole in the desert."

Syria denies reports that the Israeli infiltration was aimed at weapons shipments destined for Lebanon, reports Iran's Fars News Agency. A Syrian military source said the media reports were leaked by Israel in an effort to sow dissension in Lebanon and to threaten Iran.

If such allegations are true, how come Israel suffices to such unofficial reports and does not announce the reality and the goals of its dangerous intrusion in an official statement," Fars news reported, citing a Syrian military source.

"Where was the alleged truck coming from and where was it going? Why has the aggression happened in the northern parts of Syria and in the vicinity of our shared borders with Turkey?"

However in the absence of any on-the-record details of the incident, the flurry of anonymous official commentary is only likely to enhance the ambiguity surrounding the strike rather than clear the fog.

A BBC analysis concluded:

There are still more questions than answers in this affair. More information is slowly seeping out.

But in many ways it is remarkable that in an age of instant news and the worldwide web spreading information almost at the speed of light, there can still be episodes like this that remain shrouded in so many layers of mystery.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0913/p99s01-duts.html

The only people interested in this news ---->*CRICKETS*

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

*Ahem*, excuse me.....

SYRIA 4 EVER!

Anyway, I think there's going to be a war soon. And no matter how many people say "oh, well they have better equipment, bla bla blah", we're going to win this time.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. otheadp Banned Banned

only if you manage to get those nuke installations that Kim sold you operational. then you have 0.001% of winning

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Excuse my ignorance, but why is Israel attacking Syria ?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

War on Terror, of course.

10. otheadp Banned Banned

what SAM said, sans the sarcasm/irony

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Which explains why all the attacks are carried out by Israel and why Israelis are celebrating harvests on Arab lands

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah ok..
    So Syria is harboring terrorists according to Israel ? Sorry, I stopped following this some time ago.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All Muslims are inherently terrorists, therefore attacking any country that contains a Muslim is a War on Terror.

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Israel is calling up reserves now for a possible conflict with Syria. The attack was most probably justified.

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Uh...Israel is shelling Sderot itself? I see.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That cannot be the official reason.
    Muslims are all over the world. We have Muslims in the Netherlands, so why are they not attacking the Netherlands ?

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Which is why they (Israelis) have been doing military exercises for some time.

After all, if two kidnapped soldiers can justify an invasion and massive destruction and displacement in a country, anything can be considered justification.

And there's always preemptive strikes. :shrugs:

Why wait for something to happen?

18. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

If Syria loses this war, I will rip my hair out.

But I hope not

See, we have brave soldiers and organisation, but what we need is modern equipment. If only we had modern equipment, we would've won long ago.

And if necessary, I think they'll resort to guerilla and indirect warfare. Whatever it takes to win!

But if "we" kill any innocent civilians, I'll lose support for my own country.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Dutch are doing fine in that regard.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Because the Netherlands is not a Muslim dominant country.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Golan Heights are not Arab lands?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Damn right they are Syrian land!

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Sderot is Arab lands?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!