Isn't time that we understand that mainstream media is limited?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by river, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Bells Staff Member

Who is John?

You received a warning and a thread was closed when you last attempted to accuse him of being someone else. I would strongly suggest you cease and desist.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

We as in the everyday people

Sure but that does not mean the mainstream media shouldn't improve

The thing is though that the everyday person can't attend these conferences

And if people can't subscribe to these journals , they can be expensive , then where do they get the info

Your suggestion is not very practicable , for most people
    Non-sequitur

Sure that all well and good

CNN , is not the place for indepth reporting , BBC , I can agree with

But what of the people , as I mentioned before , who can' t afford to pay for these news papers

This not about me here

What it is about is just informing the general public about the goings on in the world other than the so called " top stories "

Hence why I have turned to alternative media

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sure they can. Most just don't want to.

Scientific American - $2.07 per issue
    Science Daily - free on line
    Science News - free on line

It's perfectly practical if you care enough to do it. If you can't be bothered you can watch CNN. Your choice.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

How do you know that ?

Good

True

It would be good though if the mainstream media makes this info more commonly known , whats the harm ?

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh sure, no bias in the government. You've got to be joking!

I don't know where you live, but here in the USA there is very little public interest in science. Even non-profit enterprises have to bring in enough money to stay in business, and beefing up their science coverage isn't going to make that happen. Channels like Discovery manage to survive because they show programs that are entertaining as well as instructive, but it kinda dumbs down the science.

Why do you devote any of your finite time to watching things that suck??? I watch an average of about 90 minutes of TV per night--which is compressed into about 70 because I can FF the commercials better on my Verizon DVR than I could on Comcast. And I don't think any of the shows I watch suck. Breaking Bad, the Daily Show, NCIS, Leverage, White Collar, an occasional symphony, a few others. About the worst show I watch is Hawaii Five-O--I get a sense of relaxation and nostalgia from the location shots, but I still might 86 it if the crimes they investigate continue to involve children as victims. I'm a musician so I appreciate American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance--I get good tips from the judges on both of those shows, and the winning contestants are really great.

The Oscars are determined by industry insiders, not movie fans.

Also industry insiders, not fans.

I know this will come as a shock to you, but the average listener does not have a degree in music; most of them can't even read a chart and they don't know the difference between vibrato and tremolo. (Of course neither did the person who mis-named the "tremolo arm" on an electric guitar.) People like music that makes them happy. That's an elusive quality that is only tangentially related to its academic credentials.

Most of the musicians I know think that Jack White is a fraud and can't understand why he's so popular. I do: because he does something iconoclastic that people enjoy, just like the punk-rockers of the 80s and the roots-rockers of the 50s did, very few of whom had any academic credentials.

You seem to imply that you are not a consumer. How, then, do you get your food, fuel, living space and other goods and services?

We're all consumers. Some of us have academic credentials but most don't. If you create and market products that only appeal to the eggheads and professionals, you'll end up with a very small company.

You need to remember that the average IQ is only 100, yet most of those folks make very pleasant companions on this planet.

Oh wait, didn't you already confess that you enjoy TV shows that "suck"? I'm still not sure what that says about you, but at the very least it qualifies you as a consumer!

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Because I have personally attended many such conferences.

Make what known? That other sources are available? Pretty much everyone knows that.

Or are you saying that they should be forced to advertise the availability of competitors? That's a very bad idea.

10. river

What I'm saying it that , why not have a hour long program , say once a week , the talks about discoveries that are new , even have interviews with the people involved with these discoveries

With no bias

For instance how many people knew about stem cell research used in chronic heart patients...

11. billvon Valued Senior Member

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://sciencefriday.com/

12. river

Now if we could get mainstream media , TV to do the same , not a website

But a TV program on CNN , NBC , ABC , FOX and any other TV station you care to mention

So that , instead of a few thousand audience , we get millions

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

TV is dying. Young people are getting more and more of their information and entertainment from the internet. Many of the top-rated shows are carefully aimed at my generation: NCIS (Mark Harmon, not to mention David McCallum), Dancing With The Stars (there are always a couple of contestants in their 50s and 60s), General Hospital (many of the cast members have been on the show for 30 years and when they die the writers kill off their characters), etc.

Recently I read that for young people (and I don't know how they defined "young"), their primary source of music is YouTube, rather than MTV, CDs or radio. I can't stand its one commercial before every video!

14. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's not a website, that's a radio station (NPR.)

Why force people to watch something they don't want to watch? There are plenty of science shows that are just a click away if people want to watch them. There's even an entire TV station dedicated to such shows.

15. river

True enough

It could be that they are bored with mainstream TV media because there is just nothing much more than politics

Boring after awhile really

To make TV more interesting is to change the format

I think thats what TV media needs to look into

16. river

Look young people are far more educated these days and when was the last survey done that asked the question " what interests you , what subjects would you like to see covered "

It seems to me that politics , while important , are just saturating the TV market , as well as murders , wars etc.

And are so redundant

And it seems to me that the TV media have given in to the internet rather than adapting to being far , far more interesting

In order to attract the young and some older people , TV media has to get more on the ball here

Thats what I think anyway

17. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

All that proves is that you don't know how to "follow the money." I'm not defending TV in ANY way but they sure still earn nice profits. By the way, did you know that a one-minute commercial during the Super Bowl sells for a cool 1/2 million dollars? Try watching the game and count the number of commercial spots.

18. river

So your argument is based on sports ?

I understand your point but its a limited vision of what TV could be when sports is not on

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

I wish TV had more science content on it.

But keep in mind that the reason that channels like FOX News have high ratings and the Discovery Channel has low ratings is that more people want to watch sensationalist infotainment than want to watch science. FOX News IS attracting young and old people alike - by showing death and destruction, starlet scandals, political follies etc. That's what people would rather watch.

20. river

I would like more science as well

People would rather watch negative TV because I think they are conditioned to do so by redundancy

21. Nom-De-Plume "Give him a mask ... " Registered Member

It's a sad fact that hoi polloi enjoy senseless violence and detest actual information. We live in a society which is becoming increasingly philistine, perpetuated by corporate media and public schooling. Here in Australia we are fortunate to have 'cutting-edge' mainstream media, in some sense (ABC [Four Corners, Hungry Beast etc.] and SBS) but still suffer from pathetic drivel comparable to FOX (A Current Affair, 7pm Project). All in all, TV stations are going to pander to the interests of the many, the fact is that the many don't care about 'intellectual' topics.

22. wellwisher Banned Banned

In America, the liberal dominate media does not celebrate success, self reliance and critical thinking, but dependency, failure and emotional parroting. Dependency, failure, and parroting is not only useful for expanding a nanny state government, but also useful to the needs of merchants who find it easier to manipulate low information viewers, to sell products. The dumbing down of America helped both causes with liberal social policies making this possible.

What needed to happen to make this possible, was to downgrade the role of the traditional male into a he-she. The male of yesteryear was expected to think, be self reliant (fix the house) and work hard to support and protect his family. Now more and more males never leave childhood (party); children in adult bodies. Look at the inner city male. If the males are screwing off, there is more opportunity for the females.

Government compounds and promotes this by having a dual standard in law. For example, there is no such things as an all male school but there are still all female schools since only the male is evil. This is the forced and then media will spread the propaganda for the dumb down.

Males represent competition and team work. This was the basis for the golden generation. Culture now has the loser get a medal. After defeating Hitler in WWII, today we would give him a trophy for just trying; muslim terrorists and media trophy. Grades in college are inflated. The result is a make-up job (female culture ) to create the illusion one is better than reality.

The solution is to remove all sexist and racist laws created by the expanding dependency government. The last two generations of he-she's have not done any of the things the law suggests, due to the law. These laws are discriminatory based on low information propaganda. As long as the dumb down continues, the propaganda will make it harder to see the law is unconstitutional; does not provide for equal protection under law, since it favors demographics.

If we allow nature to run its course the balance would return. Artificial allows the dumb down.

23. billvon Valued Senior Member

You'd hate our house. My wife and I share the various duties of fixing the house, working to support the family etc. I guess that makes me a he-she and her a she-he.

Since I went to an all-male school, you'd probably hate the place I grew up as well.

Like what?