Isn't being an Atheist a religion?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by iHaveNoIdea, Jan 4, 2010.

1. John99 Banned Banned

If you believe in reincarnation then you have a religious belief system. Not to mention the other formalities and commonalities. If anything thrn scientology is less of a religion than Buddhism is. Anything supernatural belief is religious in nature.

Someone who belies in aliens is not religious because alien (from another planet) is not a supernatural belief.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Incorrect. Atheism is merely a theological position. It's no more a religion than theism is.

No. A religion is a form of practical application of philosophy. It is more than just a theological position; a religion is an entire system of thought and behaviour based on a set of philosophical beliefs and stances.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pineapplepizza Registered Senior Member

Atheists do not hold a belief.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Hmmm! Very well put.

8. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Sure they do. Atheism is a belief. That the sun will rise tomorrow is a belief. Science is a set of beliefs embraced because those beliefs give relatively short explanations for experimentally replicable observed behaviors. Theism and atheism can't be experimentally tested and are therefore unscientific religions while science is testable and therefore is a scientific religion.

If a belief or set of beliefs affects/colors/harmonizes your basic framework of beliefs then I think you could call those beliefs your religion.

Atheists flatter themselves and delude themselves when they think their belief is not a belief which is the same sort of thing that theists do when they think their beliefs are not beliefs which is why I consider agnostics more scientific than atheists and theists. Agnostics don't pretend to know what they don't know.

9. John99 Banned Banned

The sun rising is a fact and people can track the sun to know where it is.

:wallbang:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  10. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

This is probably one of the closest posts to the truth. Science only becomes a blind-religion when people (such as many in the Philosophy section) unknowingly and incorrectly define their method of justification (proof/evidence/verification) as the method all people use. That is like talking to people as if they all like the same type of music. Then telling them that their conclusion isn't true because they haven't verified it. But they did verify it. Just according to a different method of justification.

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Reincarnation is not necessarily a supernatural idea.

12. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Nope. A religion is a set of methods for human psychological satiation (most often in a group setting). Atheism can be a lack of belief in god(s) and / or a positive belief that god(s) don't exist. For example, I know with absolute certainty that no human-claimed gods exist (positive belief) and I don't know whether or not any life forms exist that would qualify as gods; however, there is no reason to believe so (lack of belief).

13. John99 Banned Banned

Do you know anyone who was reincarnated?

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Which has got what to do with the point?

15. John99 Banned Banned

Why dont you read the thread, slowly.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Everyone.

17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I don't know anyone that's flown on the Concorde, but that doesn't indicate Concorde is supernatural.
    Why don't you try thinking before posting?

18. John99 Banned Banned

you really are smarter than that...arent you?

19. iceaura Valued Senior Member

From my self description as an atheist, honest and factual, no one here can tell what my spiritual beliefs or religious practices or ritual observances are.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I am but you're not.
    The fact that I (and spidergoat) may not know anyone who has been reincarnated does NOT mean that reincarnation is always a belief in the supernatural.
    There are plenty of pseudoscientific explanations, for example.

21. John99 Banned Banned

OK...no one knows anyone who was reincarnated (with no doubt) and people do know people who flew the concorde. do you see the difference or was the concorde flown by no one?

22. John99 Banned Banned

all you have to do is show that one person was and that would suffice.

23. John99 Banned Banned

AAAND if you were to show one person who was reincarnated then it would no longer be supernatural. so now we have come full circle once again.