Islam Got It First...

Discussion in 'History' started by Shadow1, Jan 23, 2010.

?

what? uuh, what?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2013.
  1. uuuh...

75.0%
  2. whatever

25.0%
  3. hmm...i told you...

50.0%
  4. what?

25.0%
  5. ...

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

you can keep discussion about it, but, no accusings, no racist thoght, opinion based on real facts, friendly discussion, keep the agressive replyes out of here, any agressive or insulting thoghts, not based on any facts. after all, we're discussing, not fighting like we're at war,
    so, just keep it clean, ok?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

just a friendly advice

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

But we are discussing the concept, and not refinements according to the proper evolution of human rights. I think my point is proven.

Hyperbole. I understood initially that you disapproved of such.

Prefer or are ignorant of? How does this relate to the source of the concept of democracy and the scientific method? My suspicion is that your mention is political.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

"Racist"?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah we are discussing the concept of equality of all human beings. Not white supremacism. Or Aryan ballyhoo.

8. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

yes, it's just an advice, cause soem people, the discussions and start to be agressive or racists, it's just a small advice, that's all

i don't mean anythign bad

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Excellent. Then perhaps you could stick to the topic? My point appears quite well established.

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i meant by racists, relegion racists, or cultural racists, i know that they got wrong ideas about something, but, even after seeing many facts, and books, they just keep attached to that's bad idea,
    i'm not accusing anyone, cause no one here said anythign agressive or offensive, just saying that to not make it happen, some people, on youtube, when they see an arabic clip, or somethign about arabs, or by arab, or any project, that imrove us more, they start to say bad words, and stuff

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Geoff:

No your point appears to be that fake ideology = real practice.

12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

"Racist" does have a strong negative connotation, shadow.

13. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That's absurd. You argued that the Western world had produced neither democracy nor the scientific process. I have refuted one claim; you have avoided the other.

I think that's it. Anything to add?

14. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

sorry, i'll delet it, Me and my big mouth!!

15. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That's all right, Shadow.

I suppose some people don't mind racism, or its accusation, so much as others. For me, of course, it's quite a big deal. But as an example, Sam is not so bothered as others by being accused of racism. It's probably a cultural thing; she's called black people "ni**ers" numerable times and thought nothing of it.

16. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

i think that talking about democracy, is way off-topic, when you finish your conversation, i will appreciate to go back to the main topic,

17. iceaura Valued Senior Member

We are talking past each other - the wealthy banker turns to embezzlement, robbing the savings of the poor, destroying his bank; you ascribe his riches (including the bank itself) to crime, and take embezzlement as the ideology of banking.
    And this is crippling, economically, to Americans and America overall. It hurts the bottom line, enriching the few at the cost of greater wealth for the many.

Imagine how much the impoverishment of Mexico has cost, recently and visibly via NAFTA and the like if history is not one's bag, the United States. Never mind the psychological undermining and weakening, the making shallow and brittle and incoherent the cultural base and morale; just the money need be followed: compare Texas with Germany.
    Sort of where the East is now. The Americans learned, imperfectly and still, from the Scots and the Iroquois and their own intellectual progress - who will Pakistan/India learn from?

Will Islam help? So far, 800 years of reactionary denial bodes ill. There is quite a bit of good that Islam did not get first, and cannot pretend to have gotten first without handcuffing itself to the worst of its enemies, without rejecting the changes it must allow.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

That the understanding of democracy at its inception is not the same as our current understanding and practice does not in any way change the fact that the Greeks pioneered the concept. Furthermore, criticizing a society that existed thousands of years ago for not sharing our current understanding of ideas, even ideas they were instrumental in developing, is absurd. You might as well criticize Newton for not taking the theory of relativity into account in his PhilosophiƦ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well the Ottomans beat you to it. The Sultan stood in line for his paycheck with his "slave" troops and a bunch of Indian slaves under them went on to establish the Mamluk dynasty.

As for women, the Arabs beat you to it. Fatima al Fikhri established the oldest degree granting university in the 10th century.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

It's not so much who did it first, but what they did next to build upon it that really matters. Consider Leif Ericson, the first European to make it to North America. His visit was pretty much inconsequential because nothing really came of it. Now Columbus, on the other hand, changed the world with his voyage of discovery.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah and like I pointed out, neither the Arabs nor the Ottomans put anyone on reservation or put puppet dictators to plunder their resources. The Americans never did anything but. Columbus was a mass murderer.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah they did, they made Jews live in Ghettos and wear yellow stars.

23. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Bull. He enslaved many of the natives he came in contact with, but he didn't kill that many. Disease did most of that, and the first pandemic didn't even hit Hispaniola until after Columbus was dead.