Is Your Job Pointless

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by sderenzi, Oct 26, 2006.

?

Answer the following

Poll closed Nov 15, 2006.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Maybe; I've not decided yet

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Pay is Salary

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Pay is Hourly

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. I can live on my earnings

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  7. I can't live on my earnings; Explain why

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sderenzi Banned Banned

I'm interested in knowing whether or not you think the job you currently have is important or not. Do you only work for the pay or is there some satisfaction because of what you do. To help get things started below is a link to a rather amusing discussion some posters on another board made, I find the comments insightful.

http://www.dmt123.com/other-health/435-1-dmt123-1.html

PS I can't live on the wage I make, I get 11 dollars an hour and live at home. This is enough to keep me on my antidepressant (Zoloft), pay car insurance (when it comes up), pay rent (bi-weekly), and some other stuff. If I really wanted to live on my own it would likely cost around 13-14 an hour, which I fear I'll never make.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What you really mean is that you can't live in the manner that you WANT on that wage. There are millions of people in the USA living on $11/hour or less. You just don't want to live that way, right? You want "things" that you're accustomed to having ...which cost money.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I love my job. Most of you are probably use the results of my work at some point in your life, and it permeates throughout the world. Primitive tribes in the Amazon probably encounter items with my influence as among their first taste of industrial society (and I've seen pictures of this).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sderenzi Banned Banned

Baron Max, what I mean is that you can't live on 11 an hour peirod. How could I possibly pay rent of say 500 a month, then pay for travel to work in my car 60, then pay for my antidepressants (60 with insurance) then pay for my therapy + psychiatry (60 each month) then my insurance and buy food, then have my Roth IRA (55 a month) and 401K (35 a month). It's impossible, I'd be in a hell of a bind if my car broke down or they fired my ass, people that live on 11 an hour are homeless!

Chances are rent would be more then 500, probably 650 or so, that'd leave me with almost no money for food etc.. LOL

8. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

I guess social-darwinistic crowd would love to attack posts like yours, but probably they are spending precious time somewhere else.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Find a cheaper apartment or get roommates. What I find interesting is considering the millions and millions of people who ARE living on $11/hour ...yet you claim it can't be done.

Something's wrong, don't you think? And I'd suggest that it's with you, not the millions that are actually doing it and not complaining on an Internet forum.

Baron Max

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

barons right. my living costs are just under $15k/year before tax. and that includes spending about $80/weekend on beer. if you cant live on minimum wage(20K) then you need to sort out your finances.

11. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

What is the minimum cost of living for a single person?
    -Own a decent home.
    1 bedroom
    1 kitchen/dining
    1 bathroom
    1 living room
    1 yard
    1 driveway

-1 Car (Ideally a Toyota Hybird)

-1 Desktop Computer

-1 Laptop

-1 Mobile Phone

-Supplies
    Wardrobe
    Accessories
    Personal Care Supplies
    Personal Fitness Supplies
    Books and Study Materials
    Bathroom Fittings
    Furniture
    Kitchen Appliances
    Cooking/Dining Ware
    Home Appliances
    Linens
    Food/Water Supplies
    Medicine
    Cleaning Supplies
    Car Supplies
    Computer Supplies
    Laundry/Iron Supplies
    Personal Administration/Finance Supplies
    Luggage and Travel Items
    Gasoline

-Services
    Power
    Internet
    Mobile
    Car Insurance
    Barber/Beauty Salon
    Doctor
    Dentist

THIS IS THE MINIMUM STANDARD OF LIVING.
    (Anybody that does not have at least this is living like crap. That goes for the majority of earth.)

How much should all this cost per year?
    What about per month?

12. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Why not a tiny, one-room efficency? And share that with another person?

Why not an old, but still operating, Honda Civic or something like it?

Don't need a desktop computer or a laptop or a mobile phone in order to live!

Wardrobe? A very small, very inexpensive selection of clothes would be quite sufficient. And there are numerous second-hand stores that offer good quality clothes very cheap.

Books and study materials? No, you can't afford to go to school, so put that off until you've saved enough money to do it.

Personal fitness supplies??? You can do workouts in your apartment that are damned good and don't cost a single penny. Why pay for something that you don't need?

Furniture? Don't need it. A pad on the floor makes a good bed.

Cooking and dinnerware? Cheap at the second-hand stores.

And as to all the other items you've mentioned ...take the same attitude that I've given above and apply it to those items. You'll find that most of it you don't actually need, so why pay for it. Others you can find cheap if you just go searching for them.

If you don't have the money to pay for it, then you shouldn't have the luxuries that you've mentioned. A mobil phone??? C'mon, man!

Baron Max

13. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Because a tiny one-room shares is substandard. Everybody has the right to at least their own place.

An old used car is not proper. People require adequate transportation in a first hand hybrid car. Not something used.

Desktop, laptop, mobiles are very important NECESSITIES for a decent lifestyle. Anybody without it is deprived and living like crap.

I agree about wardrobe, but nothing second hand. All people deserve first hand clothes.

School is never paid for in an educentric city design.

An adequate First World city has facilities for personal fitness. Other than that, there really is no need for personal fitness supplies.

A certain amount of furniture is needed. At least a matress on the floor. I do not believe in raised beds. A desk as well is important with a chair.

Cooking and dinnerware must all be first hand. No second hand provisions allowed. All people are entitled to first hand products.

These are not luxuries. These are all basic necessities. Luxuries are things like gold. What I mentioned is a minimum basic standard of living for the decent lifestyle all are entitled to.

ENTITLEMENT<--Learn this great word, and understand the concept.

All those things you suggested are completely pointless and unecessary. For example, why choose a second hand car when you are entitled to a first hand hybrid?

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

coolskill;

you are so full of bullshit that it is dribbling down your chin, hitting the keyoard and typing posts.

i dont even know where to begin explaining just how retarde you are. ive been stitting here for 10 minutes trying to phrase this so that it uses little enough profanity as not to get banned, but i cant. the only thing that can be said, is GO GET A FUCKING JOB!

15. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

cool skill: why go on about entitlement? No-one is going to give you these things. It would be lovely if the world worked like that but it doesn't and, even if it ever does, it won't be for a very long time - certainly not in your lifetime or mine. So the only way to get the things you mention is either to become a successful criminal (a high-risk activity); or to win the lottery (we'd all love that, wouldn't we?); or to start a successful business (another high-risk activity); or to get a job. Yes, work is exploitative - I completely agree - but it does provide many positive things as well. On the material side it's not about money per se, but about getting the money to do the things you want to do - whether that's buy a nice car, visit places you've always wanted to go, buy things for the people you care about or fund your candidacy at the next elections. Money gives you the means to do all these things and more, as well as providing a certain amount of protection from poverty - from a lack of money, and the stresses and troubles that come with not having enough. That's the thing with money - the less you've got the more time you have to spend worrying about it.

But jobs aren't just about money - or at least the better ones aren't. Admittedly there aren't many added benefits if you're working 40 soul-crushing hours a week in a factory or mopping toilet floors for a living but, with the right choice of job, there are all kinds of other hidden advantages.

For instance, do you have all the friends you need or could you use more? Work is a great way to broaden your social circle.

Have you met the love of your life yet? Many people meet their partners through work.

Are you shy? Do you lack confidence? Work provides many opportunities for asserting yourself; for putting your ideas or point of view across to others; opportunities for advancement - a chance to be rewarded for what you're good at; opportunities to develop as a human being.

Do you have any skills that you feel would be of benefit to the community, eg do you feel that you have anything to teach the young? Consider working in the social sector, which gives you the opportunity to have an impact on your local community and the wider society, whilst getting paid for it - what could be better than that?

It seems to me that you feel that you do have a lot to teach people. Why not put your personal skills to use, reach out and test yourself, and get rewarded for it?

And Sam? No, work isn't pointless. At least not always.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Have I not explained many time what crabs are, and what they are for?
    A slave is doing the work. The slave sees another slave that is working towards freedom. Instead of participating in efforts toward freedom, the crab slave wants to drag the other slave back into the pit with the rest of them.
    Right?

17. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The rest of your post has nothing to do with this statement, but you cannot and will not ever be able to explain this belief based on TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE STUPIDITY. You are so ignorant it is not even funny. Only a total jack ass would presume something so absurdly idiotic. You might as well go shoot yourself, because such ignorant statements cannot be proven, and have no basis in reality whatsoever. I suggest you get lost for saying nothing because you are nothing.

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The rest of the rant is simple slave mentality.
    Slavery is not just about money?
    Then you go onto all these things about how great it is to be a slave.
    Yes we are all slaves. But yammering on about how it gives me so many opportunities to meet other slaves and blah blah blah just sounds totally pathetic.

You already know my name, and therefore the answer to this question.
    What is the point of asking?

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Everbody has something to teach others.

For exampul:
    The best skill is to sue people. Everything in this crappytalistic game of economics is based in the manipulation of the law. Be an expert at suing people, and squashing anybody that tries to sue you.

20. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you are not working towards freedom, you are leeching from those who are. i am working towards freedom by saving 55% of my income to create farmland in africa, which will end poverty and create true freedom.

21. vslayer Registered Senior Member

you call me a crab and a slave? you are nothing but an aspiring slavedriver. you are a pathetic excuse for life.

22. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No one is entitled to anything except to be left alone. You have the attitude of a spoiled child.

I lived on far less than eleven bucks an hour while working my way thru school and supporting a wife and child. I didn't have a cell phone, a laptop, a new car, or nice clothes. I now have all those things, and more. You want a hybred, a laptop, new clothes, etc? Get off your lazy ass and earn it! No one owes you a thing. You are entitled to nothing. Grow up.

23. vslayer Registered Senior Member

so everyone on earth is entitled to a new toyota hybrid? who exactly is going to make 6 billion of these? or is it just american who are entitled to them? why are americans entitled to JAPANESE technology?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.