Is Yellowstone Going to Erupt?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by soullust, May 4, 2010.

1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Yep I might be getting my Taupa's a Toba's mixed up, I'm refering to the one in Sumartra.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know that a population bottleneck took place between 80 to 60 thousand years ago and “Toba” went off right in the middle of that.
    It’s not conclusive proof but !!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

Whatever. I can keep you up all night worrying about things. Wanna worry about something? Worry about an asteroid that passes the blind spot and collides with Earth- there! Let's talk about that for the next three pages, shall we?

You guys all need to chill out.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

Exactly. We need to keep in touch with space and have some presence in space for that very reason. If you cannot land on an asteroid and plant down on it with vehicles that can change its direction then you are F*****. That is the only way to avoid a collision. Sending rockets for explosion is NOT a good idea.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

Originally Posted by John99
    b: examining event from millions of years ago is not exactly as simple as saying you know for certain what actually DID happen.

No, that is not wrong. Core samples are not an accurate way of telling HOW or for how long an event took place. They can tell you WHAT took place but there are many variables. They cannot tell if the eruption was long and sustained or if it was rapid and catastrophic.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yes they can, if you know what you're looking for, and actually know what you're looking at.

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Clockwise or counter clockwise? I'm ready to go, just waiting be told how.

10. soullust Registered Senior Member

Grrrrr...

Fuck off, I like Selling my Canadian energy to you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. soullust Registered Senior Member

I think we should be working on both, i mean, having the knowledge to control and/or prevent any volcano could seriously help us if we venture into space.:shrug:

12. doodah Registered Senior Member

An exercise in futility. The last Yellowstone eruption left a crater 40-50 miles in diameter- drilling into a magma chamber that size with a 70 foot wide machine is like trying to bleed an elephant to death with a single mosquito bite.

Silicic magmas are extremely viscous. They don't flow like Hawaiian basalts. They behave more like a sponge, a mixture of semi-solid rock, molten rock and volatiles- imagine the sponge pores filled with mixture of gas and thick molten rock. Even if it could flow, the cooling rock would quickly plug the hole.

"Supervolcanos" don't really have volcanic vents. They don't vent, they explode- that's what makes them "supervolcanos".

The good news is that Yellowstone volcanic and seismic activity is not outside the norm- there is no imminent threat of eruption.

13. Ambrose Mason Obsidian Gael Registered Senior Member

There seems to be a lot of docs on TV about this.

14. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I don't think an eruption is necessarily doomsday. From my limited understanding, alot of the hype is worst-case scenario type stuff, but not exactly what is most likely to happen.

But if it is worst-case, then thank God we have all those underground habitats for everybo... oh, yeah, right, most people aren't on those lists, are they? Well, at least our worthy elites will be safe. Can't run the world without them.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Not by a long shot. An eruption like that (what is theorized this is capable of) is mass extinction AKA Cat. 10.

The acid rain alone would make life uninhabitable to any living creature. But that is not going to happen and TBH i am not so sure any super eruptions have ever taken place. IMHO.

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

If you are going where I think you are, then...
    Au contraire. It is a somewhat well known fact that there are underground habitations or cities that are self-sustaining and were built for, allegedly, continuity of government. Though government in this case has a nebulous definition.

Well, what I was saying about the eruption, is that just because it is capable of category 10 or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean it WILL be category 10.
    San Andreas is capable of massive earthquakes but doesn't always produce "the big one" as it is often termed. Other faults are theoretically capable of major quakes, but mostly produce small tremors when they do get active.

I don't know how well that carries over into vulcanology, but I'm sure there are parallels. I would think that it is hard to predict the severity of an eruption just by potential alone.

That may be your humble opinion, and I will let you have that opinion, but on what do you base it?

17. John99 Banned Banned

My own view is that the evidence is just not there. Exactly what evidence is there that super eruptions ever have taken place?

We know that small eruptions have taken place because they are relatively frequent but 'super eruptions' can very well be the creation of creative minds. The earth has a very interesting landscape, look at the grand canyon but only thing i can say in defense of my opinion on this is its just the same as it always was and a few thousand years of our recorded history there have never been any eruptions like they believe these are capable of...why? because maybe they just DONT happen.

18. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, SHIT DUDE! Yer jus beggin fer Ophiolite to come and wup yer ass, ain't ya? :shy:

Okay, I'm clueless.

19. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

out of curiosity, is it theoretically possible for anything made or done by humans to make a volcano erupt?

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

If eruption is soon to happen anyway, blowing the top weight of earth off with explosives should do it.

21. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

Maybe it is possible to relieve the volcano's pressure and delay it by causing a few smaller eruptions that way?

22. doodah Registered Senior Member

I suppose you don't believe in large asteroid impacts or ice ages either- since neither have occurred in past few thousand years?

There's overwhelming geologic evidence for "super eruptions". The existence of large volcanic calderas, widespread (with large measurable volumes) welded tuffs, and the chemical and isotopic composition of ash deposits, just to name a few.

You should do a bit of research before making spurious false assertions...

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

This was one of the points that I was going to make, but I see that John 99 just ignored my last post to him.

Welded ignimbrites can only form if the rock was above a certain temperature, and pyroclastic flows can cool enough to not form welded ingnimbrites simply by flowing out from the eruptive centers. This tells us that where we have large volumes of welded ignimbrites, they must have been erupted, in their entitrety, in a very short period of time.