Is Yellowstone going to blow?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Crunchy Cat, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

What area of the country do you live in?
    If you don't live within 300 miles of Yellowstone, you will be one of the people who will have to deal with the snowing ash.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I bet Yogi Bear is getting worried.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

With any luck the next big asteroid hit will be right on top of it, that way it'll give us two less things to worry about

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

SUPER VOLCANO

Which we can do as much about as the sun swallowing the earth.

9. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

While we might not be able to stop it, if we could get a sense of when it's going to blow then we might in theory minimize the damage.

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

There seems to be a lot of panic mongering following this article around, so i'm going to copy and paste a post I made on this very topic on another forum.

Magma Movement = Harmonic Termors.
    Nowhere in the articles are Harmonic Tremors mentioned.
    Yellowstone is in a tectonically active area, and experiences something like 1000-2000 earthquakes per year. Earthquake swarms like this are not unheard of in this area. There was an event in 1985 where over 3000 over a period of several months. There have also been 70 earthquake swarms in the period 1983-2008.

Further, there was no eruption from Yellowstone 70,000 years ago. The eruption that occurred 70,000 years ago was from Lake Toba in Indonesia (Sumatra). The Lake Toba eruption was nearly 3 times bigger than the last Yellowstone eruption which occured 640,000 years ago, and in terms of volume ejected only barely qualifies as VEI 8.

There have been several larger eruptions than the most recent magmatic eruption at Yellowstone, 640,000 years ago.

11. Burada Registered Senior Member

It's probaby a good thing just to be on the safe side to put up a sign in the middle of Yellowstone Lake stating: 'Watch Out For Broiled Fish Floating On The Surface'. That should tell you that something's up.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

http://ashfall.unl.edu/ashfallstory.html

this isn't far from where I grew up. It was also from a volcanic explosion and most of the animals died. They said some died from starvation, but it seems to me they would have died from dehydration first.
    Doe sash float on the water or sink?

13. Burada Registered Senior Member

Toba the largest supervolcano could still surprise us again someday too. If both Yellowstone and Toba ever went off again in the same century, then expect the feds. to lower the prime rate again.

14. John99 Banned Banned

i am gonna say BOTH. the majority will slowly sink with some residual floating on the surface. i was watching the science guy - there is my imitation.

15. John99 Banned Banned

Good post.

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No.

It's not a good thing.

Encouraging people to panic is never a good thing.

As far as the USGS is concerned, it's situation normal, they haven't seen fit to increase Yellowstone's watch status.

The USGS aren't worried.

The distribution and location of the earthquakes is completely consistent with known or suspected faultlines.

They're located in an area where they suspect one of the former caldera rims lies (a giant fault) they also lie in an approximate location that's onsistent with a northward extension of another known fault.

There's also been regular earthquakes in that area since 1973.

There really is no need (at this time) for any of this fear mongering.

http://www.seis.utah.edu/req2webdir/recenteqs/Maps/Yellowstone.html
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0c/Yellowstone_Caldera_map2.jpg

17. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

1. People don't need encouragement to panic.
    2. Panic sells newspapers and so is good for newspaper proprietors.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

And as you might imagine, over on the other site i'm getting hammered for advocating common sense over panic mongering.

19. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Is the Yellowstone Supervolcano About To Blow?
    "Apparently, Yellowstone National Park has been having a very unusual number of earthquakes. Many of the most recent tremors have been deeper underground, an ominous sign. Combine that with a rapid rise in elevation over the past three years, and the possibility that earthquake activity from surrounding areas could trigger such an eruption on its own, and you've got the possible warning signs of a supervolcano eruption that would wipe out half to 2/3 of the continental US, plunge global temperatures, and wipe out a very significant chunk of world food sources. Here's a little more info to make your New Year brighter!"

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/31/2248210

Seems a lot of people are talking about this.

On a side note.. wanna keep a backup of the site in Africa if it does go?

20. Burada Registered Senior Member

There is going to come a time when you just don't want to hang around the U.S. anymore, especially if the amount of earthquakes and ground rising in Yellowstone continues to increase 'Bigtime'. When should you be ready to move? Get your airline reservation early. You just know the airports are going to be extremely crowded when it does decide to blow this next time. Happy New Year everyone.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Of course. People like doom and gloom. And we mustn't forget that the military/industrial/political/scientific complex is deliberately hiding the severity of the problem. Indeed the current world economic crisis was doubtless precipitated in order to distract attention away from Yellowstone.

Don't you just love humans.

22. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

And this from the USGS, on the YVO website:

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No. :\