Is US Becoming a Third World Country?

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by TruthSeeker, Dec 20, 2004.

?

Is US becoming a third world country?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    63.8%
  1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Why young Americans are drowning in debt

"Saddled with college loans and credit card debts at a time when the job market is tight, they may be the most indebted generation of young Americans ever."

Seems so. The government ignores young people so much that it seems nobody is going to have money besides to pay debts....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For example, with the tax cuts and huge debts, the government is crowding out and the future generations will obviously have to pay. The US will be empoverished in its own selfish greed. It is obvious. The cost of living is juts too high for young people, and the burden keeps shifting to young people. It is obvious that the US will become a thrid world country. And it's not going to take long.

Canada may also get there someday. At least here, in BC. The young people are also getting in debt. We are also paying for the crowding out that other generations have done. It is us that are paying the huge debts, with our tuition fees (and possibly high interest rates?). And there seems to be a lot of lies here, too. The government has a contractionary fiscal policy to try to pay the debts, but it advertises that the economy is actually expanding. It just doesn't sound right....

But anyways... back to the US, I've read there's more and more poverty down there. Also, too many people on jail. Who pays to sustain those people?

Seems like we will soon be using euros to compare our currencies....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Eh... we expect more from life now. It used to be that you were happy working in a steelmill and raising a family. No longer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

You expect too much. That's the problem. As I said before:

PS: And, no, I'm not talking about you, Clockwood...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

really the cost of living is not that bad. What the young need to learn is to manage there finances and not dig them selfs a deep hole. Credit cards are not the anster. Having the money before you spend it is. Education would solve Most of the U.S. publics money problems. Also If we revamped the welfare / imigration / socail security would solve alot of problems along with the fact that we need to weed out all the leaches on the system.

8. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

I try to keep at least 3000-5000 in the bank at any one time. At age 26 my grandparnets freak out if they have less then 30,000 in there checking acount. hehe.... But on the other hand my father is never going to retire hehe..

9. Undecided Banned Banned

No America is following the path of Britain after WWI...slow denegration of power.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Typical answer- blaming youth.

Have you read the site? It is not just credit cards. It is tuition fees, cost of living, housing prices, paying the debt of older generations.... even if they don't buy too much and just "pass by" they still get into debt. You know why? Because there's also prejudice that they have to deal with- that is, the so called "lack of experience". They are also paied less, and they have less money accumulated. You say in the next post that you try to keep 3,000-5,000 in the bank? Well, in computer games, I often keep from 100,000 to 10,000,000 in the virtual banks. But in real life, I don't have even a cent. You know why? Because I'm not even allowed to work, much less receive any money whatsoever. Besides, there is also the unemployment rate, the volatility of the price of gas, which makes general products more expensive, abusive rent rates set by extravagant rich landlords, abuse of governamental power.... the list just goes on and on......!

11. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

You should probably define "third-world" before tossing into a discussion.

:m: Peace.

12. vslayer Registered Senior Member

its always bugging me, hearing americans bitch about taxes, so can someone tell me what the tax rate actually is

13. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

14. vslayer Registered Senior Member

15. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

"Typical answer- blaming youth."

I must be Missing somthing I just did the collage thing.... Its payed off and done... The problem is people going to harvard and such is where high cost of collage comes from. KSU has one of the top 10 archetual collages in the country. Cost per credit hour?? 85 bucks... now lets say your doing 20 credits a semester. thats 1700 bucks... 3400 for the year... 17,000 if it takes you 5 years to finish 13,600 if you finish in 4.

Thats if you don't spend any of your money school cost at all.. they your like the link they key is pay as you go. Also they need to apply for grants I had no problem getting them. I got 3,500 a semester from the goverment free + 3,500 in low intrest loans... Guess what if you get a dorm room Ya they suck but they are cheep and food cost is next to nothing. You don't have to work at all... so 1700+400 for books +450 a month rent+ misalansu espenses 4350 bucks that leaves 2650 bucks left for you to spend or save or what ever. Yes that does leave out gas and insureance but... You get the point Or you could just opt out of the 3500 in loans and work part time but with a 20 credit hour load that would be a little nastie hehe...

One one note your right people living in big houses with 4 cars and fly all over the world. Yet live pay check to pay check also need to learn some control.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  16. vslayer Registered Senior Member

can someone in canada tell me about student loans there, im plannig on moving back to canada after university, but if the studunt loans are cheaper then ill go to uni over there

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well.... ok.... altough I think everyone knows what "third world" is.....

Third-world: countries where the gap between the rich and the poor is very wide. Very bad distribution of income.

Yes, indeed...
    They complain about everything when they houldn't be complaining about much.....

You went to college and cannot spell "college"

Well, anyways. No. The cost of all pot-econdary education in the states is quite high. I've heard and read a lot about that.

Yes. But mostly adults...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  18. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

its called dislexia because of that I can't spell at all....... when I was a kid I had it very bad so to learn to spell I was told to spell it phoneticly so any word with silent letters kills me. Still have problems to this day.

You really need to learn to think before you speak. Its like saying Hay cripple did you know that you can't walk? what are you stupid?

19. shadarlocoth Registered Senior Member

"The cost of all pot-econdary education "
    Post-Secondary Education
    Also if you ragging on people at least spell everthing right when saying how stuipid some one else is...

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

It is readily apparent that you don't, which is really why I asked. Definition of Third World.

:m: Peace.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

What are you saying? That is slightly ambigous...

1) In the computer I was using the "s"s weren't working quite well. It's unfortunate we have this kind of problem when using a computer at college...
    2) I never said you were stupid
    3) Practically everyone has learning disabilities. Me, for example, I have ADD. I've had a very short attention spam and I've always been quite hyper. School was a nuisance for me. But I learnt to deal with it, with meditation, Tai Chi and plain concentration.

Many people still use the term "Third World". As I said, countries where the income distribution is pretty bad... :bugeye:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  22. sniffy Banned Banned

Fellow Americans
    In case you hadn't noticed there's only one world, although it may seem sometimes that there are two; America and the rest. If we are not too careful about the uneven distribution of wealth and the way we geedily and thoughtlessly consume all manner of resources not just our own, we may find the second world getting pretty p****d.
    On the other hand if some of the world banks were to call in our loans and sell off the all the $ currency they have we'd become a 'third world' country faster than you can say patriot.

23. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

That's the future. As America becomes more passive, it heads into the Third World, which I'll define as: non-technological society and the remnants of past great empires (India, Mexico, Viet Nam, and Iraq come to mind)