Is Time Real? What Is Time?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Kaiduorkhon, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Right. But does it have a recipe for sausage rolls?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

Actually for lattice sausage pie

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. NO1 I Am DARKNESS Registered Senior Member

A comment I made by about the subject.
    Feel free to discuss.
    Im not trying to bring religion into this, but it was the foundation of the matter at hand.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Over the 9 years I've been on this forum, questions about "Time" have always popped up.

People often query as if something that has no physical substance to it can exist, well to be honest time is merely a philosophical concept to fill the gap. After all if you didn't have a notion of time as being the filler how would you say "I don't have time for this?" or "I'll meet you at the bridge at 6pm".

The concept of time was conjectured through observation of Events and their passage from one state to the next, when such events were regular, they gave way to a method of measurement based upon that events repetitive nature. An example was utilising "Gravity" as a constant in regards to the volume and substances of an hourglass, grains of sand would fall at a steady rate through an small opening to the container below.

How the initial volume (usually an "Hour" as it is stated by calling it an hourglass) was measured, it was likely trial and error rather that pure mathematics (Which can of course can be used today).

Another time measuring system was through the use of Candles, this method wasn't as efficient as the hourglass however considering the slightest draft could blow out the candle or make it burn more ferociously, or the very wax could of been of an uneven consistency or the wick not being the same density etc.

Water measuring devices were also construed, but again water has it's limitations like evaporation when not applied to closed systems as well as of capable of being frozen at a rather "moderate" temperature.

Obviously before we used measuring devices, people got wind of the passage of time as the moon revolved around the planet, and the planet revolved around the sun. To most average people of that period they probably didn't think much of time, they probably "ebb and flowed" with seasonal variation and only when someone decided to investigate such differences was quantification applied.

In our modern era we've moved with more specific time keeping pieces, all measuring various repetitive iterations (frequency) to generate the concept of time. Like for instance the Atomic clock, which keeps time more accurately than our how we initially used our planetary orbit.

So a not particular brilliant answer to "does time exist?" is another question that is rhetorical "Does an inch exist?" The reality is "yes, as a measurement" but "no, as a substance".

As to the question "Is time real?":

• "Are you real?"
    • "Is anything real?"
    • "What is real?"

"Real" is quite an awkward noun, since technically the world you see before you, the existence you have strived to survive or live is itself the only way you define "Real". "Real" is actually from a Copenhagen Interpretation way of thinking "Only observable by an observer".

The world generates a "Composite Real", where by a Mob rule consensus of human condition the definition of "Real" made consistent (Well metaphysically real, "people" can believe in UFO's all they like but it doesn't make them a "Real alien spaceship")

So "is time real?", well it's adopted by the Mob, it's a Consensus and we all adhere to it, without it there would be no fairness in working hours, no standardised Pay per Hour, no way of meeting your sweetheart as they exist a night train etc.

8. Green Destiny Banned Banned

Please don't infer language which inspire the use of ''wrong'' in my use of the definition of time. If your arguement truely depends on whether animals ''know'' or are aware that time passess then of course they cannot but...

...You must be quite woo woo. Awareness mind my french, has fuck-all to do with the gene. The gene is a natural selection by Darwinian Laws, and is a factor of almost all creatures on the earth, which itself dictates when we should shit, eat and sleep. This is the grand cosmological arrow you speak of. It's even been tested on fruit flies for god sakes.

9. dhcracker Registered Senior Member

I wish I knew what woo-woo meant lol. But you have me confused, I think I explained pretty well why the arrow of time is real. However if you are simply stating without biology we would be ignorant of it.. then that is probably correct then we would only be in the present not worrying about past or future. Yet time will still move along in our ignorance, and we don't hibernate so we may well starve and be extinct without a concept of time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying ?

10. Green Destiny Banned Banned

“People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.”

A. Einstein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.