Is this you too?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by charles brough, Oct 18, 2007.

1. charles brough Registered Senior Member

Like all production where things are assembled, advertising re-assembles us to a mold that fits the need of our corporate system. Where we were once an idealistic public, we now merely mouth the old ideals and live our lives primarily by one, the so-called “pursuit of happiness.” It is a happiness heaven supposedly achievable or provided for us here on Earth by the acquiring of “things,” “stuff” or “conveniences.”

It is not possible to measure “happiness.” It doesn't come from accumulating "stuff"! The stuff just creates more problems. You have it crowding out your house and have to have garage sales. You have to rent storage, You have to throw away good things, all just to have enough room.

I have found that even poor people are plagued with this problem! They fill their broken RVs in their down and out RV parks. If one is no longer livable, they use it for storage. Their cars are even jammed with it!

We have become the corportate state's tool of advertising and it has molded us into the mindless minions of consumption. We trash the world building up this mountain of "stuff" and wonder what is the purpose of life? We certainly haven't found it. You don't achieve "happiness" with it!

charles, http://humanpurpose.simplenet.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So what do you want to discuss ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

Happiness is not found in stuff, but in others. However, stuff can heighten your experience with others.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, no. Happiness is also found in "stuff". Happiness is also found in total solitude without "stuff".

And unfortunately, I can't agree with you that happiness is found in "others". For one thing, it would seem from the strife and conflict all around the world, it's "others" who are actually a deterrant to our happiness!

Baron Max

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

agreed, some days I love the hell outta my stuff and want to set fire to my others!!