Is this world real?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gonj, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Right, so I suppose you could shoot yourself in the head and survive so long as you 'perceive' that you won't be injured?

Objective reality is always out there just waiting to bite you, and it doesn’t care one bit what you perceive.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SeriouslySam Registered Member

"Why" is the question why are we here why do we live and die how do we know the world around us is not just a dream a fake world how do we know anything is real how do we even know diffrent parts of the wolrd are real how do we know we even real ourselfs what is our reason for being on this planet for being anywhere for liveing for excisting we don't even know if the supposed allmight god exists but god is "why" we have made god as a reason for why we are here for life to excist i do not belive in god myself but it is good to have a reason that you are happy to beilve and live with if you want to know what is this world then work it out your self so that every five secounds you do not think about it because it will drive you mad i may have not answered your question but what i have said may help you to understand when you are ready to find out if this world is real or not will come to you not you find it

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kmguru Staff Member

"Because I asked you to be here. I created this organic computer simulation and there you are. I just wanted to have fun.... because in the beginning there was this void...." -GOD

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

What is reality? What is truth? Are reality and truth only fabrications of the human mind? Sure they seem 100% logical, but is human logic infallible? I do not deny my own existence, and I consider whatever my existence is to be reality. So, depending on your definition this question has both a YES and a NO.

8. Possumking I think, I am? Registered Senior Member

If he shot himself in the head and perceived that he didn't get hurt, to him he wouldn't be hurt. Therefore, as he said, it is all relative to perspective. From your persepective he would be hurt, but if he truley believed he didnt' get hurt then from his perspective he wasn't hurt. THis is just further proof of his point.

9. VitalOne Banned Banned

Reality is REAL, but is is also ILLUSORY. It is real in that it is something, just as how when you dream the things exist as something. It is illusory in that it appears to be something its not.

What you're reading on right now isn't words, its simply electrical charges and colors, we label them as words. Everything is simply the arrangment of atoms (which exist in all possible states at once until observed). In the same way we label objects and things, etc...when in reality they're just an arrangment of atoms, nothing more. In that way the world verily is an illusion.

All of your problems, fears, worries, concerns, etc... are simply neurological messages in your brain, nothing more. When you desire something, in truth you desire the "feeling" you get of it happening, not the actual event nor experience.

In this way you can know that verily everything in this world is an illusion.

10. metalcranium Registered Member

but in the Bible it tells us that heaven is more real then the earth that we live on, so how do we know that heaven isn't real and our life is a dream. what about so called spirit, could that be real and our body be fake or a dream. now i'm a christian and i'm not saying that this is true, though i kind of take it to be, but you can't just rule out the fact that it could be in fact only a dream of the choices that we've made to try and exist eternaly as a child of God.

11. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Holy thread necromancy!

Are you familiar with the ad verecundiam fallacy?

Check it out.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I wish people would learn the definitions of real & genuine & use them correctly.

13. Ladicius Registered Senior Member

Uhhh, regaurdless if this world is real or not, the life it maintains is pointless. We're domesticated animals that think a little too much; yet know nothing. The thing that created us in one word sucks, because "it" made us with enough knowledge to know that we know nothing, and it will always remain like that. Evident to those of us that aren't ignorant.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Most people are neither "real nor "genuine" any longer for they have forgotten what the "truth " really is.:shrug:

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Of course, people are real. They are part of reality. They might not be genuine. They may not be what they seem.

16. thinking Banned Banned

17. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Reality is omnipresent and if so, there can only be one. Go anywhere and there it is. Pass through a portal to another world, dimension, universe, realm etc, and there it is. You can't get away from it. Wherever your travels take you it will be there.

Granted, concepts of reality will vary individually but it is still only one.

18. Exeter Registered Senior Member

I think I can sum this up by saying what I have experienced, and that is: The things that we see, are not as they appear to be. Simple but true.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Well....that's reality

20. Jozen-Bo The Wheel Spinning King!!! Registered Senior Member

Neither is it real nor is it unreal...

Or a dream within a dream??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  21. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

How much would it take for me, a two-bit dream character, to place a suggestion into the mind of our sleeping beauty that would enable me to meet Elizabeth Hurley in the shower?

22. Exeter Registered Senior Member

I can't even explain reality directly. It is too convoluted. I have to use various stories as examples of what I'm thinking. -I see myself standing in an extremely uncomfortable part of the world, say, a humid, hot swamp. If someone there were to ask me if that was reality, I may even get a little pissed off, being in discomfort as I would be. Then, lets say a helicopter drops off everything nessessary to construct a small house-like structure, complete with an air-conditioner and power source. After putting everything together, and after freshening up a bit, I relax in a chair, sipping a drink. -Is that reality? Sure it is. but the "real" reality is outside in the swamp. I created this reality, and it is just as real. We have created our own realities.

23. thinking Banned Banned

because of the constituents of which you are made of ( minerals , proteins , vitamins , water , molecues ) that gives existence to you and therefore allows you to question the reality of the " real world "

seems ironic doesn't ?

you question if the world is real but at the same time it is the world that gives you ability to exist in the first place

because all things that are necessary for life to exist and evolve , exist on this planet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.