Is this world real?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by gonj, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

I mean maintains logic and dosen't contradict itself
    I didn't mean that. I ment that unlike the real world your dreams don't fit together. When you have a dream it dosen't pick up where you left off the night before (I know this one i usually wake up right before the good bits

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)
    Again not quite what i ment. I ment when you are in the dream how well can you remember things. I don't know but i usually can't. But you made me think of another point. You forget 99% of your dreams. Most you don't remember at all thd the ones you do remember you just get bits of.

Actually there are a few exceptions to me knowing that im dreaming. Several times i have dreamed my alarm clock going off and woken up thinking its time to get up. (I hate it when that happens) Then after a few minuites of disorientation and a quick check at the clock discover its 3:00AM i go back to sleep realizing i just had a bad dream.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Than... the answer is... most of them...

Usually not... but they are usually related...

I remember...

When I'm too tired, I don't remember my dreams... but when I'm not so tired, I remember most of them...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Here's one for you all to disagree with probably. I shouldn't post it, will do so anyway.

We all live in our own "time-stream" so to say. You make your own life, thus your own view on reality. Most of this is the same as how others see reality, it can differ though.

Science is reality? How so? It is part of this world and scientists figure out how "things" work in this civilization, they find new questions to solve every time they figured something out. So what is reality?

It is how you see the world. How you live your life and what experiences you have in your "time-stream". Not everybody lives in the same "time-stream". Some of them can "see" further and if Dreams turn out to be Truth and you look a little closer at the Dreams you actually do remember, you'll find a lot of answers on your own reality in life there.

It is good to try to remember Dreams. It gives a clearer vision sometimes. Not always, they tell a lot, though.

I don't care wheter you agree with me or not. It's just my opinion and I am not able to put it in the right words. My English lacks words sometimes and I can't make myself clear enough then. I am sorry...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Why disagree? What you said is true...

8. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Banshee: welcome to the club of more-than-scientific minds

You will get in a lot of trouble with that sort of "irrational" behaviour though.

And Truthseeker is about to back out and return to the land of eterna carnaval.

But don't worry, much people in various states of sanity on this board think similar ideas, so you'll be fine

Truthseeker, a few days before you leave, post a goodbye thread in free thoughts, ok?

And if I miss it: have a good time!

9. Protozoa Registered Senior Member

you know when you dream. I agree with this statement as I know when I dream as well, for some weird reason. but just because our dreams at night have a certain pattern doesnt mean that if this world is but a dream it follows the same patterns.
    so just because nightly dreams feel like one thing, doesnt mean that other kinds of dreams feel the same. if life is but a dream we dont know the opposite of this, making us incapable of drawing parallels to a non dream state. if we lived in a nightly dream without knowledge of another state would we not think of it as reality?

10. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Calling reality a dream is just a metaphore. It is not meant to be compared to the nightly dream state. It just bares similarities, namely that they are both not the final or absolute reality.

But I know that it all is a matter of believes. I just find it more believable than green marsians

11. Ol-Skool Registered Senior Member

What is real?

To each a reality you seek is within yourself. Being awake and asleep are both real, so which one is which doesnt really matter in the end, what is real is death, and what happens in the meantime is just a journey with death as the destination.

No matter how deep you go, or how far you search, or what 'religion' you believe in, it all comes down to a reality we witness through ourselves and experience, Growing old.

We are merely questioning this subject because it just leads us on a never ending journey within ourselves with no apparent destination, there are no right or wrong answers, so to just accept that what we are stating is a figment of our imaginations , we can open our minds to what others feel and incorporate it in our own conclusions.

Accept ones thoughts not for its principle, but for the respect of them being human.

Andy

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That is great Ol-Skool...

13. Ol-Skool Registered Senior Member

Why thankyou Truthseeker

It's so good to get in here and open up my mind to how i used to be, real deep! I guess everyone gets caught up in their life and their job, and forget about themselves. Thats where i have found myself lately, just watching the world go round, not thinking of much just getting my job done, paying the bills and lounging.

Im inspired!

andy

14. kmguru Staff Member

Is this world real?

Nope. It is Maya, Illusion, Fake...we are inside an Universal Computer ....we could be the computer....

If it would have been real, the book I ordered three weeks ago about the Universal Computer (a new kind of science) would have been at my door step by now. I found out today, US Post Office lost it. So they have to send another one!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2002
  15. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

LOL

Yes and no.

Reality (sic), is just as 'real' as you determine it to be.....

Enjoy.

16. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

LOL, seems pretty real to you though!

Now let's hope they don't lose it again, then again it can be fake either. How are you gonna know it for sure then...?

17. kmguru Staff Member

Nothing is "for sure". Remember - getting married for love....a few years later it is not for sure...then comes divorce for sure....

18. aciescomplio Registered Senior Member

That question (is this all a dream) is much a hypothetical one.

Think about it. With our computers and programming getting more and more advenced, a Matrix scene of our world could be arguable!

Virtual Reality is getting more and more advanced and it is only a matter of time until we learn how enter peoples minds. This leads to configuring them and further leads to controlling them.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EVIDENCE THAT IS NOT ARGUABLE, TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE REAL WORLD AND NOT JUST A DREAM?
    DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EVIDENCE THAT IS UNARGUABLE TO SAY THAT THIS IS THE REAL WORLD?

NO!

19. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

No, but we live here and we should act as if we do.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

but how do i KNOW you live here

i know I live here, don't know about you

21. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

For one thing: I do not live here.

I live in a house in a street with a back yard and a cat and a bird and a lovely man.

Don't live here, in the virtual "real world" of the internet.

Then again, I am not sure about my cat. He seems pretty unreal every so often. He's more like a nightmare.

Maybe he is not real and I'm just imaginning him...

22. mastercalis Registered Member

Wheather the world is real or not is irrelevant. it is how you percieve it. it can be real or it can be a dream. but the thing that sucks is, you still can get hurt and die, you get sick, and girls can crtush your heart

23. EPYON Registered Member

re is the world real

You just have to accept the fact the world is real. Our whole world is filled with lies and exagerrations. No one knows why we are here or how we got here. There are no coincidences, we are all on our own, and there is no-one watching out for us.

You are just expected to be a machine.
    Yours is not to question
    nor to ask why
    follow and obey the system
    until the date you become obsolete.

grim reapers machine name EPYON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.