Is this true?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by GRO$$, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Xev Registered Senior Member

Tyler, you might appreciate a book called 'Lies my teacher told me' about the American educational system and the way history is taught. Don't remember the author offhand.

I agree with you on the Canadian educational system, even though I've never been to a Canadian high school. I think most educational systems are probably like that.

It is easier to teach "Our country is the greatest and most wonderful country in existance" than to teach the whole truth. It is pretty much one of the functions of an 'educational' system to program kids to be patriotic automatons.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tyler Registered Senior Member

That's a great book!
    From personal experience, I think our education system is better than the U.S.

But like I said, both hide truth.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Xev,

Brazil and Canada dont' say they are the gratest in the world...

Love,
    Nelson

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Nelson:
    Neither do the US's, in so many words....it is much more subtle than that. A country's bad past actions are not covered as much as its good past actions.

Tyler: You're probably right. The American system is so bad it's scary! Why, 75% of our adults do not know that antibiotics kill bacteria but not viruses!

*Sigh*

Things are not so bad as Gro$$'s hysteria would lead you to believe, but it is bad.

(And come on, I know enough Brits and Canadians to describe your stereotype of an American

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

: Gun crazy, willfully ignorent of other languages, slightly cracker-ish and of the "We saved your ass in WW2" persuasion )

8. Tyler Registered Senior Member

I hated brazil when I was there. Then again, I hated south american culture for the most part.

Canada does say it's the greatest. Not as a nation, but as people. And we do a fair amount of stereotyping ourselves.

Look at the two most recent Molson Canadian commericals:

- "Ohhhh you're from Canada right? So do you know Glenn, from Canada? He works in an office, plays hockey, says 'eh' a lot!?!?"

- "Heyyyy, it's the Canadian guy. Mr. Canuck. Where's your beaver? Hahaha"

We stereotype Americans by thinking they all stereotype us.

(note to all Canadians: I know 'office glenn')

We also stereotype American intelligence. As well as that whole southern thing.

Canadians also view our nation as one of the more democratic on Earth, while that's simply not true. Politically, we are a rather pathetic nation. I'd say the only stint of time I would have pride in our nation (outside of hockey, lacrosse, comedy and other non-political things) is the Trudeau era. He made us a nation, and an interesting one at that. Since then we've done pretty much piss all. We don't alter the world in any great way. We don't do anything international.

We just....are!

Inside the country, we are a land of much freedom. But NO WHERE NEAR the freedom of other nations or what should be. Though I would never actually say it, I would like to have the ability to say the word 'nigger' and not get hugely assaulted for it. A friend of mine for art drew a sketch with a swastika in it (the picture did have a meaning, ironically it was to show how people can't deal with discussing controversy) and got suspended. Is that freedom?

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Most people absolutly Love us...
    You can ask anyone...

Love,
    Nelson

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Not most of the group I was there with.

The Amazon was beautiful, no doubt. And it's not the land I have naything against, it's gorgeous, it's the people.

People there are very, how do I put this, intense. People are loud and intense. And very insistent. Not laid back enough.

I have cousins in Argentina who I've had the chance to visit too.

I prefer something like France or Austria or Switzerland. Or Finland or Sweden! Or Denmark!

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I know what you mean...
    I'm not very intemse too... I'm very calm...
    I Love other places too...

But Brazilians are absolutly sweet!

Love,
    Nelson

12. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Actually you're pretty insistent yourself.

Being 17 (or I believe it was 17 you said) and thinking (nay, telling us) that you have all the answers and understand the world perfectly.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Now I'm 18...

And I understand myself much better then you understand the world...

The world... I'm understanding better each day...
    Experiencing Life...

Love,
    Nelson