Is This The World We Created...

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wet1, Jun 7, 2002.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

This lyric/Song was sent to me by my son. It is a Song from Queen and I think there's a lot to say about this lyric. It says a lot about the way we are living today.
    It's a short Song, the lyric is very actual nowadays and to the point.

Is This The World We Created:

Just look at all those hungry mouths we have to feed
    Take a look at all the suffering we breed
    So many lonely faces scattered all around
    Searching for what they need

Is this the world we created...?
    What did we do it for
    Is this the world we invaded
    Against the law
    So it seems in the end
    Is this what we're all living for today
    The world that we created

You know that everyday a helpless child is born
    Who needs some loving care inside a happy home
    Somewhere a wealthy man is sitting on his throne
    Waiting for life to go by

Wooh, is this the world we created...?
    We made it all our own
    Is this the world we devastated, right to the bone
    If there's a God in the sky looking down
    What can he think of what we've done
    To the world that he created

I get sad by reading/hearing this Song. I think Queen has very good points here about the actual world we are living in...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

I agree it's a fab song and even better when sung instead of read. Also a huge lump of fabness is "Who wants to live forever?" It was released here about the time people started to become aware of Freddies illness and therefore had even greater meaning.

A huge loss

Rest in peace Freddie you ol' tart !

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Except that we have fewer people per cent going hungry every night. Fewer people per cent live the short sort of brutal lives that were common even 150 years ago, much less back in the dark ages. Granted the world isn't perfect, and we haven't been able to fix every social problem, but we're slowly but surely working on them.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I like that song very much. I have it on the cd Queen live in Wembley '86.

It is a good song, that keeps your eyes open for the misery in the world.

Thanks to bring the song back to mind. I'm gonna play it right now!

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

I envy you greatly, that you need a song in order to be reminded of this.

You're a very lucky man, A4.

Personally, I prefer Blake:

Every night and every morn
    Some to misery are born
    Every morn and every night
    Some are born to sweet delight
    Some are born to sweet delight
    Some are born to endless night

Riomcloud:
    Aye! Indeed, we shall continue to work on them. There is no limit to what science can do, so long as we are not stupid arses and blow ourselves to smithereens!

9. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I am indeed a happy man.

I didn't need the song.

I don't need to explain everything

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yep!

I still think there's a lot to say about this world we created. And that the lyrics of this rather old Song are as actual as they were then. It isn't all that bliss. Look at all the suffering which is going on in the poor parts of the world. Also, there are still children born, every day, in misery. Look at how people treat eachother, they lie and cheat for a lousy ten bucks...just an example.

Originally posted by Bbcboy
    You are absolutely right!

If I could, I would've posted the Song as an attachment to the post.

[philosopher Mode On]
    It is indeed a shame Freddy Mercury left this world, we created. He had an enormous charisma and was a great Artist...Queen is very poorly nowadays, without him. They gave a performance in the Netherlands last April 30 ( Queen's Day

) and it was terrible, so I heard it tell, didn't see any of it, though. Still Brian May is a great guitar player...
    [/philosopher Mode Off]

11. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

At least 30000 children die every day.

12. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I wrote a whole reply here.

But I get the feeling you are just looking for conflict. So I erased it. You can think of me what you like.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2002
  13. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I am glad about that!

And my God, you are a quick copy and paster!

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Originally posted by A4Ever
    Originally posted by Xev
    I see no offense in this reply A4Ever,

Looks more like a compliment to me.

Maybe this is a little example of misunderstanding in the world nowadays too. People should show a little more respect and understanding. As in :Listen better to what someone has to say.

And it's not meant unfriendly. I value your opinions just like all the others. Disagreement belongs to people and their behaviour toward eachother is coloured by it. It should bring a little more peace in this world if we all could have a little more patience toward eachother.

Life is made to easy for the more richer people in this world and that is a reason the more poor people are forgotten and left alone. Technology improves and gives us things like computers and internet, so we can communicate all over the world with it.

People in war-zones and countries with poor resources don't have this opportunity and so it is easier to forget and just focus on your own daily life. I mean, we all know about children and adults living in miserable conditions, some of us donate money. Who says it will reach the ones who really need it. In some countries the leaders are "bad" and keep the help given in money, or name something else, to themselves and the people in the countries don't see anything of it.

Don't know how to write it down exactly right, I guess you get the point...I hope...

15. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

Your point is very clear.

But you put wrong quotes of us together. I was reacting against "I prefer to be miserable and moral than happy and callous".

But it's all settled now, it was a misunderstanding, and you're absolutely right!

16. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

This whole rock star thing confounds me tho'
    The paul McCartneys and Bonos of the world saying "oh isn't it a huge shame so many people are dying of starvation" when the combined fortunes of them both could wipe out starvation in a shot

Makes ya want to write an inspirational lyric

17. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

1. Their combined fortunes would not end starvation.

2. We need structural measures, not only 'making a donation', even if it is a million dollars.

A lot of hypocrisy is causing world famin as well. For example, if we produce too much tomatoes, we sell them in Africa at a lower price than local farmers can sell it. It's unfair competition.

I think your view is too simple and not subtle enough.

Btw, that girl that was on Bono's t-shirt: she has been released.

18. bbcboy Recovering christian Registered Senior Member

At the last count P Mc was worth several BILLION and whether he gives a single penny or not is not really the argument.

My point is they come on t.v. at telethons etc and get all het up that us 'little people' don't give our hard earned for the poor starving people when they sit on fucking VAST fortunes.

I know my answer was concise and I do have fair knowledge of the reasons for the famine that exists in the world.

I just think they should either shut the fuck up and carry on singing about yellow subs or give most of their money away and thereby convinve me of their conviction.

19. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

I agree with bbcboy

I knew what you were saying, and I agree - tossing the wealth of the vatican in the hat might help too.

Cheers,
    Teri

20. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I do not agree.

take the wealth of all the popstars and the vatican combined. Throw it at the third world. Maybe we'll see a short risin of living standard, but it will fall back very quickly.

You see, we need structural, non hypocritical measures -urgent- and not simply giving money.

We need investment and education on the long term.

21. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

A4Ever

Don't take offence - I also know what you're saying.

I was just throwing in an arbitrary comment.
    It's not meant to be taken as a serious idea on how to fix the world.

Along with investment and education there is a multitude of things we need to do. I don't proclaim to know how to fix any of it. Actually, I wonder whether anyone knows what the solution is?

Peace
    Teri

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you want sad songs lission to "ligtning crashes" by live, you can't get much sader than a new mother losing her baby by miscarage

or there is the creed song "wash away those tears", its about rape but writen from the perspective of a best friend of a rape victom

both of them are so sad

23. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Yes, there are a whole lot sad, sad Songs. Good Songs and it is a good thing they are there.

I too, do agree with Bbcboy, because when people like Paul McCartney would actually do someting with all the billions he owns and just go to the poor countries, where there's no water and to less food, he would make a difference. There are countries in which no food grows because of the drought ( or how you write it - hope I spelled it right). I know it seems a very difficult thing to do, it is not that hard, though. They should just join hands in this - people like PaulMcC., U2, The Stones and name some others who are loaded with money, they earned because of people like you and me, are buying the albums they make. Most of the ones who buy the albums are not rich, they are not poor either.

It may be very hard to imagine how this people in poor countries suffer. I think it a good idea to let the real rich Music Artists take their money and buy food and water supplies and so on for those people who are in need of it.

Oh well, I write it down wrong again, it seems undoable, it is not so in my mind, though. Guess it is easier to imagine this really happening than it is to do. There must be some kind of way...