Is this some kind of sleeping paralysis?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by curioucity, Jun 27, 2006.

1. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Hi everyone.

I was dreaming in my sleep last night, and at the end of it, I felt like I was already awake, but felt like my eyes were shut, though I could see blurs. And when I attempted to open my eyes fully, I couldn't; they stayed near-shut. Also, I felt like I was trying to get up as well, and couldn't. I finally got up suddenly, all awake, eyes open.

That's not the first time it happens to me, and that's not just the only sleeping weirdness I have... I even have experienced sleeping paralysis too (awake, but can't move), so I wonder if the two are perhaps related...

Thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Yensen Registered Member

It sounds like what I've heard happens if you wake up while the paralysis of the REM stage of sleep is still affecting you...I suppose just be glad you aren't feeling the evil nightmare presence I hear a lot of people do :->

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I don't remember often about what you said about nightmares xD but well, I'll take that, thanks ^_^

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

i've had that happen before.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

very alarming. motor function comes back after you struggle for a few minutes.
    i read that people lose motor function during REM, as stated by yensen. some people don't have this (sleep-walking).
    maybe you were wakened by something and came out of REM so quickly, your body didn't have time to release it's "emergency brake".

8. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

This is very common and perfectly normal. Almost everyone will experience this at some time. To prevent the sleeper from injuring his/her/itself, (most animals are included) rem sleep shuts off the volentary motor centers. And as mentioned, it is the opposite of sleep walking. Younger animals seem not to have this ability as well developed. Ever see a sleeping puppy whimper and move its legs like running? That's a mild form of sleep walking. Actually, the paralysis experience could be considered a good thing, your "safety system" is working.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've had that experience, although not for a long time. More recently I enjoy "night terrors". Occasionally - a few times a year - I'll dream of spiders in my bed or some such thing and start ripping the sheets off the bed or knocking over the nightstand. My wife will shake me or yell and I'll wake up. James Spader's character has the same problem on Boston Legal.

10. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Yeah, I've had this. And also some freaky to go with it. I couldn't move and I was paralyzed for like 5 minutes. And it felt like this was this really very evil women sitting on my bed but I couldn't turn around or move. I felt like she wanted to rape me, I could like almost feel her. Then finally I concentrated really hard to move and it worked.

11. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

you know, people described visitation by succubi and incubi like that. a man or woman sitting on their chests and terroizing them before raping them.

12. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Yes Muslim, this sounds like incubi rather than succubi to me. You almost certainly have devil spawn living inside you, just waiting for the right moment to burst cinematically out of your shattered, haemorrhaging chest.

See your GP, and ask him to prescribe a course of antibiotics.

13. Vega Banned Banned

The Incubus, which appears in ancient literature, is one such example. In the book Incubus by Kiessling, It was described as half man half beast, attacking in the night. The word night "mare" has been derived from the word incubus. In Greek it was ephialtes, in Latin incubus, in German mar/mare, in Old English maire, Old Norse mara, Old Irish mar/mor, and all mean "one who leaps on, oppresses or crushes."

The demon of the night has also been called 'The Old Hag' a description and myth coming out of several cultures.

The Old Hag attack is most closely associated with extreme pressure on the chest while sleeping on your back. People may also feel like they are being choked or even bitten.

14. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

was it your girlfriend. maybe she slipped you a cocktail.

15. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

I have been getting sleep paralysis for about three years. It comes hand in hand with low serotonin along with migraines....those are fun too. Make sure you're getting enough sunlight in your eyes.

My personal flavour of SP comes with lots of "false awakenings". Usually I dream a normal dream and then I can "sense" when it's about to turn into a nightmare and try to consciously wake myself up, or I am talking to someone in the dream and I go "Wait a second, this is a dream, isn't it?" at which point they usually give a sly wink or in the worst cases, laugh a horrible evil laugh, and their skin falls off

Then I go "Oh shit, wake up" and try to wake myself up, usually landing myself into SP from which I try to wake myself up from which can lead into more SP....I have had this go on for what seemed like hours.

If you keep getting them, you will just learn to deal with them. Eventually you will realise what they are and just learn that relaxing will get you out quicker....trying to move the tips of your fingers and toes apparently helps too.

16. SycknesS Registered Senior Member

I was having a nightmare once, I was getting strangled, I woke up and had my hand over my mouth, and couldn't move it. I couldn't breathe through my nose and couldn't move my hand for a good 10 seconds. Bad times