is this a correct analogy?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by god-of-course, Aug 16, 2003.

1. god-of-course Bluegoblin. Registered Senior Member

i know you cant summarise theories like this and that im sure i missed out vital things but does what ive said make sense? im new to physics and i wrote it mainly for my own understanding, i peiced a lot of it together from things people here had said and i know nothing of quantum mechanics so i kind of made up some things, id be very grateful for corrections or if you could just scrap it all and re write it for me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thnx

1) If you have a basic understanding of general relativity you've probably come across the 'mesh' description of space-time or the space-continuum, basically one analogy of the nature of space and time is that space is like a huge mesh of fibers travelling in every direction through the three dimensions, and that these fibers are like threads of time. ok?

2) Mass bends these fibers and so stretches this 'fabric' of space and time towards itself, other mass wants to follow these threads i.e. they want to travel towards other mass hence; gravity. The more mass the more space time is distorted.

3) E=MC^2 means that mass and energy are interchangable but for the purpose of understanding we can discard the conversion factor C^2. So that the more energy a body has the more massive it is, it takes infinite energy to accelerate something to the the speed of light hence; impossibility, thus a body at the speed of light has infinite mass to, anything with infinite mass from its own perspective i.e. relative to itself (hence; relativity) bends time and space around its self infinitely so that everything exists within the same infinitely small space including time, this is what is meant by the terms time dialation and legnth contraction whivh are both phonomenon that occur as you increaese in speed (remeber movement is a form of energy so the fatser you go and the more enrgy and thus mass you have bending space time more around you leading to time and legnth contraction etc) we never experience this because remeber energy = mass times the speed of light sqaured so you have to have a lot of energy (speed) before your mass increases much and you bend space.

4) Any point at which mass exists within an infatesimaly small space is called a singularity, singularitys are believed to exist at the center of a black hole. This is how they work: Now particles can interact with each other even from light years away via the disturbances they create in space time (this is known as vector alignment (see quantum entanglement)) these disruptions are called signals, however quantum physics tells us that signals cannot travel faster than the speed of light. Now imagine two particles one on top of the other on the surface of the event horizon (the distance from the center of a black hole (singularity) that not even light can escape i.e. the escape velocity needed is beyond that of anything/it would take infinite energy and more to escape at this point) anyway these particles begin to get sucked in to the black hole soon reaching the speed of light as the travel inwards(remeber this would all happen very quickly) because the 'signals' cannot travel faster than light the two particles are never aware of each others presence and so they continue travelling unimpeded to the center as witth everything else so that no particle ever feels another and they just go inwards forever towards a smaller and smaller center of infinite smalness.

5) At this center the singularity is just a single point of space time, howver it is beleived that a spining worm hole (which has been observed) would have a ring shaped singularity dues to centrifugal force, it is beleived that space time is stretched into the ring like two cones put point to point, the worm hole theory states that if you were to travel through this ring you could travel through the void (tear in space time where the continuum has been split and you are in the middle) and come out of what is called a white hole (the white hole has never been seen and is only a mathematical solution to worm hole theory) so basically a ring shaped singularity would pull space time towards itself so that one point touches another possible orriginally in diferent universes, so that you could travel to different parts of space in a split second

ps. white holes are white because they eject the matter black holes suck in.
    also the threads are not meant literally it is purly a way of understanding hence; analogy.