Is there anything wrong to marry your cousin?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Saint, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

What the hell are you talking about??? They ARE having sex! Who said that they weren't? ...just because I said that they weren't planning to have any kids? ...so you automatically assume that I meant that they weren't having sex?

Enmos, you're smarter than this last group of posts. What's going on with you?

If we give gays the right to marriage, how can we deny those same marriage rights to adult incestuous couples? That's the question!

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, but you do realize that not all babies are planned, right ?
    If you're having sex, even 'safe' sex, there is a chance that you're going to get pregnant.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So ...what does that mean with regard to marrying cousins? Are you saying that people can't get married unless they promise to try to have kids? Or that if they don't want kids, then they have to promise never to fuck? Or gays can't get married because they can't have kids ...and that's what marriage is all about?

What are you saying, Enmos?????

Baron Max

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I'm saying that it's taboo for a reason. And that reason is biological in nature.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

So is it taboo for gays to marry. So you're against same-sex marriage?

Baron Max

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I don't think that's a taboo of the same category.
    Besides, why are you assuming that I'm against someone marrying their cousin ? I couldn't care less.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Then why are you even posting in the thread???????

Baron Max

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

:bugeye: To express my views on it, why else ?

Why are you ?

13. yasmin Registered Member

It is true about the problem with genetic defects. I honestly do not think anything is wrong as long as they do not have children.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

You make no sense what so ever.

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Cool! But I still think I did. Same-sex marriages don't produce children.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and neither do marriages between the elderly or infertile couples.

First cousin marriages have the same rate of birth defects as do women 40+ having children. Should that be illegal as well?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

So you are in favor then ?

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The only way I would have a problem with it is if identical twin bothers married identical twin sisters and their kids (first cousins) hooked up. Wouldn't those cousins be genetically brothers and sisters?

But no, I have no problem with cousins marrying, just like I have no problem with women over 40 having kids

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, well I don't have a problem with it either. I was just saying why the taboo exist. People can screw their grannies for all I care.
    I do think it's wrong for them to have children, for the children's sake. And yes, 'them' includes 40 year old mothers.

20. swarm Registered Senior Member

Actually that is a bit of a misnomer. The danger exists mainly - if - there are recessive genes that can be reinforced. Many tribal groups and even early societies have very close relationships with all the available potential mates.

As long as there is occasional movement to allow for an influx of new material, then things seem to work out ok.

Now that said, the earlier generations from in breeding tend to suffer. Like any genetic process it is necessary to purge the failures, i.e. those who are expressing genetic defects, and allow those who don't carry dangerous recessives to breed.

A good example would be cheetahs. Cheetahs had their population reduced to just a few individuals in the fairly recent (genetically speaking) past. They can often be closer than first cousins in humans (though as a race we have similar issues, just not as recently).

However the difficulty of their environment has purged most of their recessives from the population and cheetahs rarely have genetic defects.

So if you live in a genetically close society and you and your cousin haven't got any recent outsiders in your ancestors (who might bring in recessives), and you live in a challenging environment (to purge previous recessives), you probably are pretty safe breeding.

If you live in a diverse society and your parents were genetically no closely related, you are more likely to have recessinves if you in breed.

Experience from in breeding stock says you are likely (but not certain) to have an increase of:

* Reduced fertility both in litter size and sperm viability
    * Increased genetic disorders
    * Fluctuating facial asymmetry
    * Lower birth rate
    * Higher infant mortality
    * Slower growth rate
    * Smaller adult size
    * Loss of immune system function

A often used, but admittedly faulty "typical inbreeding percentages" are as follows:

* Father/daughter – mother/son – brother/sister → 25%
    * Half-brother/half-sister → 12.5%
    * Uncle/niece – aunt/nephew → 12.5%
    * Cousin → 6.25%

That discounts the fact that there are mechanisms to eliminate faulty embryos in the reproductive process and genetics is not a simple 1-1 process.

The fact is people make extensive use of inbreeding in pets and stock and there are numerous societies where 1st cousins can and do marry without problems and there are cases of incest where the offspring did not suffer from their close parentage.

All sexual reproduction is a crap shoot to one degree or another. That's really the point you know.

21. X-Man2 We're under no illusions. Registered Senior Member

If the circumstance came up,how many cousins back would you say yes to marriage? 2nd? 3rd? or farther? Inquiring minds want to know.

22. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

is that right?

23. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Just think this way, you have 2 grandfather and 2 grandmother, 4 grand grand mothers and 4 grand grand fathers, 8 grand grand grand mothers and 8 grand grand grand fathers and so on.

Therefore, number of your ancestors is 2^n, n - number of generations, assuming average generation childbearing "lifespan" is 30 years, 3000 years ago you (ALONE) would have had 2^100 unrelated ancestors, taking 2^10 as roughly 1000, it would take 10^30 of people to make just you and your siblings. Obviously, there were only a few hundreds of millions of people living 3000 years ago. Therefore, there were lots and lots of cousin-cousins couples in your bloodline, you are a product of cousins.