Is there any reason to let non-geeks live?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Fen, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fen Registered Senior Member

Actually, it's quite the opposite. A geek is intelligent, and you basically gave the definition of intelligence--being able to apply your knowledge to new situations. Geeks get good grades without studying usually (if they want to bother to). Interesting that the girls are the ones that have to try so hard to "get it". Females really have no place in the future.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Capibara GrandfatherOfAllKnowledge Registered Senior Member

"Females really have no place in the future." - of course they do ... some of them are not THAT silly and some of them are really just too ahem ... cute or something

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fen Registered Senior Member

Yeah, this really has to be addressed to give the full picture. It's came up here before on sciforums.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ThePHNX Registered Senior Member

Are we talking a different kind of virus here?-)

Arab Proverb;
    He who knows not and knows not he knows not is the greatest fool, shun him!

,,,,,,, it goes on to deal with those who know not that they know,

,,,,,,,those who know they know not, and

,,,,,,,those who know and know that they know (ultimately the most frustrated of the bunch, but then how would I know?)

HBH

One final thought we wouldn't have to kill the stupid just let them die of their own inability to survive (do you realize how few women drivers there'd be without automatic transmissions - White Knuckle Pilots without Auto-Pilots?). That would solve the farmer problem (God bless em, do you really want to dig in the dirt?!?)

One good point; if you kill all the stupids it would really drain the politician pool.

8. SG-N Registered Senior Member

We've got no automatic transmissions here and women are still alive... and they have no problem with cars !

9. ThePHNX Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, a Gallahad, young, Ms., or what? anyway, where is `here'?

BTW, you don't have to have much skill just to live, especially in the collective states where parasites are both supported and encouraged (which is a mobia schematic). In fact, I though that was the point of the thread.

10. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

I think Fen would make a great parent. Don't you think?

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

you need non-geeks for certain things. assembly work comes to mind. carpenters... construction workers... etc. please, don't kill them. i don't want to have to kill my own chickens and stuff.

12. edgar Registered Senior Member

farming is the most important job in teh world. hands down.
    a geek is a guy whose obessed with computers, math, science, and physics...im not bashing them or anything but to me their conversations are boring....besides geek's would lose agasint "average people" bcuz "average people" outnumber geeks like 20 to 1

13. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

And without 'geeks', a farmer would not be able to produce enough food for more then a family.

14. edgar Registered Senior Member

um okay..by ur defintions, ageek is some one who is associated with electronical stuff. a farmer doenst need high speed browers adn stuff like that.

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Actually Edgar, it depends on how "information oriented" that farmer's business is. Some farmers use GPS and computers and such to increase crop yeilds, etc. I would imagine that as technology progresses, a farmers dependency on information access will increase as more infomation yields more analysis yields better problem solving capability yields increased crop yields.

16. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

No... they need tractors, and electricity, and food processors and many other things that depend on "computers, math, science, and physics", which you said is what geeks do. I'm using your definitions here.

P.S. - Could you please attempt to type complete sentences.

17. SG-N Registered Senior Member

Here is France and Europe...

Do you have cows, chickens, beef... and do you make your own tables, your bed, your house... No ??? Unbelievable !!! How do you survive ???
    If you are a geek (and I think so) you would not live your boring life without non-geeks.

Have a nice day

18. SG-N Registered Senior Member

wesmorris & Persol :

Were there any geek 150 years ago ? No... So how did the farmers produced enough food for everyone ? I think (but it's just a theory) that humans are able to live without GPS and computers. I know that it's crazy...

In fact the good question would be : can we live without geeks ? (Of course

we do !)

19. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

the word" geek " is a fairly recent Americanism, derived from the Middle Low German "geck," which was supposed to a sound crazy people made.

"Geck" became "gek" in Dutch, meaning madman or fool. It found its way into American slang as "geek," a guy who does really gross and disgusting things in the side show at the carnival. The classic act for the carnival geek was to bite the head off of a chicken.

Eventually the word was used to refer to anyone who was gross or undesirable, be it through lack of hygiene, lack of social skills, or some other repulsiveness.

20. ThePHNX Registered Senior Member

"

21. SG-N Registered Senior Member

ThePHNX :

Your post is hard to read (bad use of quotes...).

Anyway, if your life is the way you described it : "Sorry !". It's not boring... You could be called a hacker but not a geek ! IMO a geek would not do what you do. He would only think, use his computer and be proud to be more intelligent than the "non-geeks" (they are wrong... they just have more scientific knowledges)

22. ThePHNX Registered Senior Member

Re: ThePHNX :

You're right, I have a problem using this text editor, when I split the quote as I did the gets sticky, tried duplicating the code to close the bold as would do in other editors but it didn't work.
    I'll work at it but there's only so much time in this boring life!-)

23. Fen Registered Senior Member

True, but words evolve. I see nothing wrong with the "geek" banner. And the meek shall inherit the earth?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.