Is there any reason to let non-geeks live?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Fen, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Ok, so what exactly is a nerd?

I have a friend who is, ahem... kinda slow. Nice guy. Dresses ackwardly, and comes from an overprotective family.

He is in all of the low streams at school, lacks creativity - yet has an undying enthusiasm for things that don't even matter. Example-- the other day, he got up late, and RAN to school because he did not want to miss a second of typing class! Apparantly, they were starting a new unit. He wont be able to get into uni, or maybe even college. Does that make him a nerd? Or not?

I have another friend,-- very bright, can grasp concepts rather easily, and has good street smarts. He is in low streams too (though not the lowest) and doesn't really care too much about school. He could easily go off to university or college - but doesn't want to pursue that kind of a life. Is he a non-nerd?? Does he deserve to die, -even in the most joking of senses?

I think a lot of people who consider themselves nerds, or that can identify with this kind of a thread are pretentious, or have some kind of a personality disorder. Really, I don't mean to insult anyone, but it's the truth. How you make it in the outside world revolves around your perceptions and what you make of those. I think my second friend is going to do a lot better, simply because he understands this. --And this chicks understand this, too. That's why they like the 'perfect', well rounded guys.

EDIT:: BTW, I can honestly understand this because I was once a pretentious little snot, too. Just like the people I seem to be bashing. It's just not healthy anymore to be that way. I'm aware of that and it's changed for the better.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cjard Registered Senior Member

i was thinking about a similar thing the other day. and the answer im afraid, is that the human race absolutely and positively needs morons, idiots and otherwise stupid people

ya see, theres just some things a geek will never do. you guys here couldnt run a planet; no offence, but it would fall apart in days. fire would break out, power would be disrupted and eventually nearly everything would be destroyed, or fail, if we didnt have morons who were prepared to do the shitty jobs, for minimum wage, that are so essential to the functioning of modern society.

i'd like to see anyone reason otherwise. and then go clean the sewers after they have finished their argument.

and heres another thought.. you take great care of yourself, look after yourself and avoid danger if possible, cos after all, it might kill you. yet, the guy who fitted the brakes to you car, probably left school to go work in his local tyre firm, with zero qualifications and about enough brain cells to swing a hammer
    this is why i work on my own cars, and noone else touches them

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fen Registered Senior Member

They could be, most probably aren't. Nanoassembled food. Or IV injected nutrition (trying to cook fancy meals tends to get you killed in combat). Ok farmer joe, into this chamber please.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. proteus42 Registered Senior Member

Fen, has somebody who didn't seem to be a qualified physicist insulted you recently? Does your soul still hurt? Do you feel you live in a hostile environment alone with your computer and your books? Is that it?

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I have an interesting link here which might be useful:
    http://home.att.net/~eugenics/lynn.htm

Though I don't necessarily agree with everything that's said, I'll point out that it demonstrates something very useful. That is, that even the highly intelligent can do the 'shitty jobs', and it's less a matter of intelligence, but other qualities.

You don't have to be a nerd to be smart, and you don't have to be smart to be a nerd. Of course we'll need people of different qualifications, but this whole joke argument on the necessity of non-nerds is just pathetic.

9. Fen Registered Senior Member

Well that's something I missed too. Intelligent people can act dumb, but dumb people can't act intelligent.

10. cjard Registered Senior Member

except to other dumb people. and do you know how many dumb people there are out there?

11. Psycho-Cannon Home grown and Psycho Registered Senior Member

What!!! without non geeks who will there be left for us to look down upon?
    You'll no longer be able to make quick comments and enjoy the blank look on their faces as the point goes right over their head and they sit burning out a goodly amount of their IQ trying to work out what you just said.

12. Capibara GrandfatherOfAllKnowledge Registered Senior Member

- I still say kill them all - I am not quite a nerd really - I have really low grades 'cause I don't give a f ruit about school and the girls love me because I'm tall dark and handsome , and I can make fun of the teachers - ah , well , not that handsome but I can't complain

13. Fen Registered Senior Member

Fine, keep a few in zoos. Problem is eventually they won't even understand our language (which will be much more advanced). Then eat them.

14. ben nevis Registered Senior Member

If I ever feel geekishness casting it's cruel shadow over my perfection I just look into a mirror and all is well again.

15. SG-N Registered Senior Member

If you realy want to kill non-geeks, you should do it with all non-graduated.

Is it done ?
    So how many of you are still alive now ?

16. theonlyguyever omg met's lake out!!1 Registered Senior Member

You guys are fucking dicks.

No, seriously! :bugeye:

17. m0rl0ck Consume! Conform! Obey! Registered Senior Member

Who would bring the pizza?
    Who would make the soda?

Let them live.

18. Harnu Semper Fidelis Registered Senior Member

Let them live you commie bastards! lol.

If you fight the idiots, they'll drag you down to their own level and beat you with experience

I don't understand a lot of math and scince (I do have a good grasp of the basics. I just feel no need to go further than that becuase I have no need to). If if you do kill off morons, people like me will help them

19. Fen Registered Senior Member

Robots. Nanotechnology.

20. cjard Registered Senior Member

a world full of geeks and robots. a planet devoid of personality and idle humour. liquidise me now.

21. BrainWithAGun Registered Member

Kill as many as you want... but I elect myself leader of the new world of geeks. We still need a vice-leader. applications available

22. Capibara GrandfatherOfAllKnowledge Registered Senior Member

that is silly , geeks have very hmm "colorfull" personalities and great humour - oh yeah , can I run for vice-leader ? I know how to make pancakes (the french kind not the stupid thick ones the americans do)

23. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

what's the classification of a geek or a nerd? i mean there are quite a few girls in my class who just study and study, a few guys as well. i mean we had a small test in julius caesar about 5 pages that's all....who'll study? all you have to do is read the question and recollect what the guy says in class. anyway...i overheard one of these girls telling the other..''i woke up at 4 and started STUDYING.'' then i thought these guys were insane.

i mean the funny part is these guys study all year round and when the time comes for the final exams at the year end, me and my friends just study the day before. i mean what is physics, chem. and maths really? application of concepts. i just learn the basic concept and apply it. these guys who just study and study can't do a sum which they've never seen before. i think that's just pathetic. so...anyway, are these guys nerds or not? and if they are...DEATH TO ALL NERDS/GEEKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.