Is there a female equivalent...?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by visceral_instinct, Apr 24, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

You know how people use the word 'balls' to mean courage, does anyone know a female equivalent??

I don't know one, although I think a cool thing to say to a female who was being cowardly would be '..you don't have the double-X for it...' a reference to the 2 X-chromosomes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How about "clit" or peerhaps "tits" ?:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

You don't have the ovaries for it!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

you can use balls for women, as a matter of fact it works even better to make a point.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

In the US it's common to use the same colloquialism for women. We talk about "ballsy" chicks.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

why do balls equal courage? is it an insult to women, that anything without balls has no courage?

10. draqon Banned Banned

girls lack this "equivalent" so there is no equivalent

11. draqon Banned Banned

I understand this is the jist of this age, were women want to be stronger,faster, and smarter than men and the media shows them that way real nice...but reality is different, females are not stronger and not as smart in long term and that is the reason why we have so many male scientists and engineers and mathematicians.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Orleander it could be because "courage" or at least agression comes from testostrone which is mostly produced in the testicals. Yes women do produce some just like men produce some estrogen but the levels are no where near as high in the majority of women as they are in the majority of men. Hence if you were a castreto you wouldnt have as many agressive tendances and so wouldnt be as "courages", so people would tell you to "grow some balls"

13. Sputnik Banned Banned

Women can be very courageous .... especially when they defend their children.......in my country we have the expression ...she is like a lionmother .....
    Then there were the amazons ....amazon is believed to mean " without breast " because according to legend , amazons cut off their right breast to be able too shoot a bow ....
    You could say ... a left breasted woman ......hmmmm....probably a bit constructed .....

A hysteric woman ( from the greek word for uterus ) .... but being hysteric is not the same as beeing courageous .... though they can be scary ....

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

So that saying came around as soon as a scientist made the discovery of where testosterone is made? So its a fairly recent saying then right?

15. Spud Emperor solanaceous common tater Registered Senior Member

Older girls claim to have power surges ( not hot flushes).

16. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I do not want to be stronger or faster than a man.

As for smarter, get into the 21st century already.

17. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Yeah and I did think of 'you don't have the ovaries' but it sounds a little constructed...

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orleander not nessaraly. As i said if you compare a normal man to a castreto (something that was common until recently) the physical strength, agression and development is not there in a castreto or unik. So it means that even if they had no idea what testotorone was they still could compare a "ball less" man and one who "had some balls"

19. Blue_UK Drifting Mind Valued Senior Member

Girls 'choose' not to pursue those careers. For some reason.

In the UK, girls get higher grades (this is an average - randomly chosen girl only a fraction more likely to have had better performance in school than random boy). I hasten to add that this is because boys are lazier during younger years, not because of any intellectual reasons!

20. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

It's not just that, young males have this culture where you're seen as a sissy if you're smart or you care about doing well at school. So they deliberately don't bother paying attention in class, in order to fit in and avoid being persecuted.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I don't think its so much that they didn't choose it as they weren't encouraged. I loved science and was always asking questions. According to the teacher, boys in the class showed great curiosity when asking questions. I was a blabbermouth

Most astronauts have a military pilots background. How long have women been pilots in the military?

22. BarbieGirl14 Registered Senior Member

I would NEVER act smarter, stronger, or faster then a boy I liked.

I like dominant controlling boys, and i'm not sure about other girls, but I work NOT to get bigger or stronger. I do like to be smart though, but for some reason my lack of common sense makes me seem very blonde, and since politics, and science isn't something most of my peers discuss, I'm not considered very smart. I like that though.

If I ever made the boy I liked feel like I was smarter, stronger, faster, or in any way more powerful, I would not be able to date him anymore because he wouldnt be as dominant and confident.

23. USS Exeter unamerican american Registered Senior Member

Oh dear god

I could really care less if a girl was faster, smarter, or better than me at something (although I'm not sure about if she was stronger

). I'm dating a girl who is on versity soccer and could have me laying on my ass in a second. But that's why I admire her.

I find it fascinating why you think boys should be dominant. Personally, I don't think anyone should be dominant, and both people are happier when they are equal and interact more as friends than as a boy over girl kind of thing.