Is There a Difference between Spirituality and Religion?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I would say yes. You can be spiritual but not religious, you can be religious but not spiritual.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

How w would you define religion?

Jan.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

A ritual, as the most basic definition, though more narrow in scope, in my opinion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

"Spirituality" is a function of the mind. Religion is a more-or-less-organized attempt to explain that function.

sculptor likes this.
  8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Are you a function of the mind, bob?

9. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I'm a function of your mind - and you're a function of mine.

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yes. There's a difference.
    Spirituality does not require ritual, rules - or even other believers.

candy likes this.
  11. Yazata Valued Senior Member

The way that I use those words, there is a difference.

I use 'religion' to refer to historical traditions that possess a sufficient number of the characteristics that we associate with religion. (Defining 'religion' is a fundamental question in the philosophy of religion. I see it as a 'family resemblance' concept.) But basically, I conceive of religion as what is passed down from generation to generation. In other words, a religion is an objective element of social reality (at least as objective as anything social can be). Religious texts and theological doctrines are 'religious'.

And I use 'spirituality' to refer to the (ideal) individual psychological responses to those traditions. 'Spirituality' is how people (should) respond to them. I tend to associate it particularly with monastics, religious contemplatives and people like that. But it certainly isn't restricted to them, they are just the ones who set out to cultivate it.

I think that historically, the concept of spirituality is Christian. It refers to the Holy Spirit and to those individuals who behave as if the Spirit of God has in truth touched them and entered into them. More recently the word has been extended to followers of other religions and to people who follow no religion at all.

Imagined as a Venn diagram, I see religion and spirituality as two circles that intersect but don't entirely coincide.

Not everything that is passed down under the name of 'religion' is 'spiritual' in my opinion. Killing blasphemers isn't.

And people with beautiful inspiring hearts needn't be inspired by Christ, the Bible, the Quran, Krishna or by any religious tradition.

The connection between religion and spirituality seems to be that, ideally at least, religions are supposed to facilitate the kind of inner transformations that we associate with spirituality. They typically don't, but it's the goal.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    sideshowbob likes this.
  12. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

The meaning has moved on somewhat since the early days, though, I think with the increased influence of Eastern traditions, thoughts, and philosophies. It is now more about the ineffable qualities of man, or to the indescribable feelings of there being something far greater than ourselves, irrespective of what that might be, whether it is God, the universe, humanity, or anything else.

There is also the SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious) label that some self identify as.

Also bear in mind that one can have beautiful inspiring hearts without being spiritual in any way. It all depends upon what one finds beautiful and/or inspiring.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sideshowbob likes this.
  13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

The point of religion (spirituality) seems to be lost in the rituals and traditions. I could be wrong since I have never been commited to any one specific organization.