Is the US heading for Recession

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Asguard, Jan 17, 2008.

?

What do you think?

1. No recession

18.4%
  2. Us recession, No world recession

47.4%
  3. US recession, World recession

34.2%
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

(Firstly can someone PLEASE give me the correct spelling of that so i can correct the title)

The point of the thread is twofold

1) to see if people really think the US will fall into a ression

but secondly to ask now that China and India are so big will it really matter to anyone OTHER than the US if they do

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Do you see in the upper left hand cornor of the reply box where the little check is located and under it is ABC. Try using that to check your spelling for it works great for me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Recession

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Sure it does!

Irony at its best!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I did that jus ta get your attention, I know how to spell corner.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

if you people dont get on topic i will delete your posts

9. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

The spelling is correct.

Any recession from the the U.S. will rebound around the world, the globalization of the economy make it impossible for a major recession in any first world country not to affect the rest of the world, its like a cold, everybody gets it

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

India and China will simply cool down but I doubt a recession will happen. The rest of the world will follow the US into the doldrums.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Actually the ecconomic comments here in Australia are that a US recession may actually help the australian ecconmy because we are so dependent on china which has a 12% growth rate currently. if the US goes bust china may drop to an 8% growth rate (acording to the econimest on ABC radio adelaide) which wouldnt slow Australian exports but which might make it more sustainable.

So although it used to be the case that if the US sneased the rest of the world caught a cold it may no longer be the case.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah, India is expecting a slight slowing down of the economy too, which may be good considering we are not equipped to deal with the speed at which we are growing now.

Give us time to build on infrastructure for which we are already using mostly Chinese products. Also make American scrap metal and scrap paper cheaper which will be a tremendous boon, since we import it from the US and convert it to higher value commodity products that Americans (and other Western countries) buy.

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Australia's national debt is very high...about 90% of GDP, which wouldnt even qualify for membership in the EU.

This is a huge drag on the economy, which might be pushed over the edge by a worldwide slow down.

15. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Be VERY intrested to see your figures on that. Also are you refering to private debt or goverment debt and if goverment debt at which level of goverment? Because "Surposedly" the federal goverment has no debt (although i would belive peter costello about as far as i could throw him)

16. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Just look up 'Economy of Australia' on Wikipedia.

Divide the public debt at 585 billion by the GDP at 645 billion and viola!

To qualify for membership in the EU a nation cannot have more than 60% debt to GDP.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

would it surprise you to learn that wikipedia isnt concidered to be a relable sorce at uni?
    I only ever use it for infomation on games and TV programs

Try finding statistics from the ABS, the australian parlimentry libary or the UN or even the CIA fact book but not Wikipedia.

for your infomation this is the australian federal budget for 2007
    http://www.ato.gov.au/budget/2007-08/bp1/html/bp1_bst9-01.htm

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I think Wiki is fairly accurate on major figures. There was an article in Australia's News Weekly stating that the national debt was up to 400 billion...and that was three years ago.

http://www.newsweekly.com.au/articles/2005jan08_e.html

If Aus has suddenly reduced the debt to zero in just a year or so it must have involved the privatization of public industries perhaps.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

well that artical refered to private debt not goverment and it also never referenced its sorce.

Im sorry but wikipedia and news articals with no sorces are not nessarly accurate. I would rather you gave an athotive sorce. Im not saying your wrong but the sorces you give are quite poor for the area's your using them

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

No it makes a distinction between 'national debt' and 'foreign debt':

"Australian national debt has sky-rocketed to $400 billion during the Howard administration, but no one dares complain because the alternative - paying down the debt or stopping the borrowing - is an awfully unattractive option with fearful consequences for business and jobs."

I looked it up on the CIA factbook but their figures are two years old.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  21. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Well, I think India and China can take the slack, If the US pulls out, So will Europe, some countries dependent directly on the US might falter.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the figures in that artical are at least THREE years old so i would go with the CIA fact book if i was you

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Canada may suffer, they have too much business south of the border.