Is the secret to life really found in a fortune cookie?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Why?, Aug 29, 2007.

1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, there's probably a little conficianism thrown in there, but I think you are making a mistaken assumption. The people that write for fortune cookies aren't philosophers, probably just some temp worker in a miserable office somewhere in Hoboken.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Why? Registered Senior Member

Well, they could just as easily stick Jesus quotes in the those cookies. What, never heard of Jesus? Why not Moses quotes?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It wouldn't fit with the Asian theme.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Why? Registered Senior Member

But fortune cookies aren't limited to Confucious. They also contain lottery numbers and general predictions.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

There probably are some biblical phrases in there. There are alot of asian Christians. I've read things like "never a borrower or a lender be".

Fortune Cookie Sayings were originally based on bible verses and proverbs. Then English versions of 'Confucious teaching' were introduced.

http://www.chinese-fortune-cookie.com/fortune-cookie-sayings.html

9. Why? Registered Senior Member

So, why the change from the bible to the Buddha?

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Confucianism isn't Buddhism, but I suppose it has to do with the mixing of cultures and the growing popularity of asian religions among Americans.

11. Why? Registered Senior Member

Confucious say, man who live like Buddha eat fortune cookie and grow large belly.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The large belly figure commonly seen in Chinese restaurants is not Buddha, but Hotei or Budai.

Recently, Budai statues, statuettes and amulets have become relatively well-known in Western cultures. Misconceptions have arisen because of this new enthusiasm, including the false connection made between Budai and Gautama Buddha, the historical founder of Buddhism.

13. Why? Registered Senior Member

So, chinese restaurants are perpetuating misconceptions about Eastern philosophy? How dare they!

14. draqon Banned Banned

whatever makes money

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I think the misconception is in our interpretation.

16. Why? Registered Senior Member

They could hang a sign on their Eastern version of Santa Claus - couldn't they? "This is Budai - not to be confused with our most sacred Buddha".

17. draqon Banned Banned

Buddha is a much more known marketing tool image.

18. Why? Registered Senior Member

Well, not to me. I thought the fat guy in the chinese restaurant that you rub for good luck was Buddha. Apparently, it is Budai. Where does the real Buddha appear in marketing?

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It doesn't really matter. Most people just pay lip service to Buddha, and view him as another diety, they are superstitious and don't know what he really taught.

20. draqon Banned Banned

noone cares for real BUddha. The image is though as a Buddha...so it works well with marketing. Whether it is Budai...or anything else...doesnt matter.

21. Why? Registered Senior Member

So, the asians are pretty relaxed when it comes to Eastern philosophy?

22. draqon Banned Banned

yeah they are cool about it.

23. Why? Registered Senior Member

You mean they don't believe it. My point exactly. This is why Eastern philosophy deserves to be housed in a fortune cookie, because it's not to be taken seriously.