Is suicide considered jumping bail?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Syzygys, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

What happens when the person released on bail commit suicide? Who gets the bail money, the government or his family???

Well,let's take it to another version, what happens when he gets killed on bail? That is certainly not his fault....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Bail is basically a guarantee that the person will appear in court at the designated time and place. If it's impossible, for various reasons, one of which is that the person is dead, the person(s) putting up the bail money can get a release from the court based on the death certificate. Effectively, the person (the dead person) has fulfilled his end of the bargain and the bail money is released to ....whoever put up the money.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

but suicide is illegal, there's no way the government would treat it as a normal death.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CatherineW Registered Senior Member

Is suicide illegal everywhere in the US? It's definitely not illegal in the UK...

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Would they then "arrest " the body and put it in confinement?:shrug:

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, bail is an insurance that the bailed out person would show up at court at the requested date. In case of suicede, it is still the bailed out person's fault not being able to show up for the court date, so I guess the bail money is the court's....

I am not sure about when he dies in a car accident while going to court....I would consider that natural cause, unlike suicede.

10. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Death is the greatest penalty the court can, in its boundless wisdom, confer. The bail-sprung defendant who has killed himself, then, if guilty, has self-delivered the maximum possible penalty in his own case, by definition, plus some in all liklihood (since only the tinest proportion of cases are candidates for death), whilst saving society thousands in legal costs, and, as a bonus, has advanced the judicial queue by one place. His heirs therefore deserve back his bail money, perhaps with a proxy thank-you card.

If not-guilty, then the decedent defendant's heirs deserve back his bail money, plus punitive funds drawn against the police and prosecutorial systems, for contributing to his untimely death.

So you see, either way, it is unreasonable and immoral for the bail or bond money to be retained.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Suicide being illegal is a prime example of the utter stupidity & absurdity of humanity.
    I wouldn't be much surprised to find that somewhere it is legal to kill oneself in a certain manner or 2 yet illegal in any other way.

The deceased have been tried for crimes & the body "punished".

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Zap, in case of suicede, we never get to know if the person was guilty or not, because the case gets closed...

13. Zap Facts > Opinions Registered Senior Member

Right. So the case should either be tried in absentia, or else default to part two.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

bail is a monetary gaurentee that the person will appear in court.
    since the person failed to show up the state gets the money.
    -in my opinion.