"Is Royalty worth preserving?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by IXL777, Jun 3, 2003.

1. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

"Is Royalty worth preserving?I am a Royalist and I think all Royal families throughout the World should be preserved , what do you think?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'd rather have a powerless monarch than a powerful president...and you get a extra holiday.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Why?
    As they stand now?
    Such as in England, since the royal family has little to nothing to do with the actual policy making and running fo the government, do you think the instituition should be preserved and funded by the citizens?
    Or do you just mean the "functioning" aristocracies?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

In the UK the royal family is nothing but a PR division which is not needed. The spend public money on themselves, did you know they spend £3,000,000 roughly on food a year alone? It's ludicrous! The queens only function is to give new acts the royal accent and she hasn't denied one in centuries and she knows that if she doesn't pass one she'll be given the boot.

So as far as I am concerned the royal family in the UK is pointless and we should get rid of a millenia of history because it is the sane thing to do.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

let us not start doing sane things. Then we have to get rid of all our current governments too. What is the point of having them, except waste lots of money. At least royalty looks good on parades and openings. A president is just a person.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Justified absurdity.
    I like it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Justified absurdity- the british way.

I say keep the royal family instead of a president, but really, we need to demob them. there is noreal need for them. And please dont say England, say "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" i think thats the full style.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Also royalty are good for the economy...many gossip magazines and 'newspapers' depend on them. Do you really want to see all these people get sacked?

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Let me try...

Have you considered the cost of redesigning and reprinting the currency?

What about the jobs of all those servants employed by the royal family?

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Servants? We dont have servants these days, in this egalitarian society!
    hahaha. anyhow, theyll find new jobs wiht rich people.
    AS for the money, that wouldnt be a problem, we coudl always keep the same queens head on it for hundreds of years. or else print anyones head on it. make each note personal and unique with your face on it!
    hhmmm, i might just have a winner there. Ok, its my idea, remember that.

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Well then it'll be cheaper to join the euro and the servents can get jobs with fast food chains.

And gossip magazines can also stretch to C-Class celebrities instead

Problems solved

Now to rid us of our money sucking royal family of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Well, hang on about the euro. i'm not in principle against the idea, although my hsitoric side say noooo. But Brussels is no better than teh vcurent gvt, so its a choice of a rock or a hard place.
    AS for the money sucking royal family, the thing is that in fact if they were given back the crown estates to live off htey would likely be better off, becasue decades ago now, they signed na agreement with the gvt giving the gvt the money from the crown estates in return for the civil list. So last I knew the crown estates was worth more than the civil list.

16. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Here's a question, if we do join the euro, would the power of the Pound Sterling be put behind it?

Regardless of that, they still suck beans...royally I might add!

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

in australia there is a large republican movement

we want the head of our country to be an australian citizen

for startes one of MY reasons for surporting this is that the next king of australia will be the presidant of the british beef comision there by working AGAINST australian jobs

what we want is a figure head (cause the power already rests in the PM) who can go visit the sick and disadvataged, be a diplomat for australia and genrally do stuff like that

so to me no the queen has no relivance and the royal family will have LESS in the future

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

it is all comparing apples with pears...

We shouldn't have countries and we shouldn't have people leading a nation. But if we are going to go along with a stupid notion of a nation then why not go all the way and get some royalty.

19. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

20. edgar Registered Senior Member

SCREW THE KING!

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

that's the job of the queen and his mistresses

22. IXL777 mature with wisdom Registered Senior Member

copulation by royal approval........

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

There is no king in the UK, only a few Princes...how does that all work???