Is rap really a genre of music?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Facial, Jul 26, 2005.

?

Is rap music?

1. Yes, rap qualifies as a type of music.

59 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. No, it is something else.

25 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah i can tell you dont listen to rap, but its a good thing your like a female will smith in a way,

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

will smith? So I'm an actor trying to rap, yeh that sums me up.
    Meanwhile I have heard (not voluntarily) slim shady and I admire his poetry, very very talented. Shakespeare of rap world I'd say. Most of rest of what I hear is crap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

I think he is saying you are a stiff rapper, and not legit, but don't let me put words in his mouth, I could easily have misread that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I understand thats what he meant, a failed wanabee rapper?

too right not legit, I'm a lady, I like classic rock mainly! Rap.....poo although as said before I can appreciate slims poetic ability.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  8. duendy Registered Senior Member

its like any art, the more you practice the more you will flow with it. they sayyyyy, when you do say--dance,learn an instrument, paint, etc etc, braincells actually changes....! yip

9. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

haven't had a chance to drop in and check out the rap battle, so I can't say anything about anybody's skills, I just thought you might have misunderstood since will smith made a lot of money as a recording artist, and you said you don't know anything about rap.

10. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

well you'll see that I don't when you do check out rap battle, it rhymes but thats about it!

I assume to Chi will smith is way down in league table of rappers!

11. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

I think it's hard to appreciate rap if you don't listen to it.

How could you judge something with such a limited exposure to it?

Furthermore, how can you appreciate something you can't understand?

Finally, how can you judge something without really knowing it or understanding it?

Think about it.

12. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

easy peasy, I know what I like, I don't need educating in 'what gives me pleasure'

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

nah will smith was an emcee before an actor.

but i was comparing you to will smith because he doeesent use street slang or curse, his rhymes are not thuggish like most rappers,

that was the comparison,

peace.

14. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

oh.....

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah i did not mean what you thought i did, sorry for giving that impression maybe i should have explained further beforehand,

peace.

16. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

The poll results are overwhelming...

What say you doubters and nay-sayers?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

speaks volumes about the voters who voted 'yes'

18. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

That they can appreciate an art form -- however elusive "art" may actually be in hip-hop, it does come around from time to time -- that you cannot because you are too self-righteous to grasp its beauty?

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Beauty is in the eye of beholder. It has no objective value.

20. Facial Valued Senior Member

Considerable, since it's now by a factor of 2.
    I have strongly made some deep self-reflections about my initial opinion, and I now have changed my definition of music to include rap as well.

21. Zarklephaser Registered Senior Member

Then why would you argue that the poll "speaks volumes about" some of its participants?

22. Mrhero54 Registered Senior Member

Face it. You cannot create a definition of music that does not include rap without being prejudice.

Wheter it be judged by the harmony, melody, etc, or the emotions it evokes or the opinion of the masses, rap qualifies as music.

Fear the day it permeates through every form of media. It burst into the music world with record speed and is the fastest growing genre of music. It will rule the world one day and your kids will love it!

Death to Classical, Rock, and Anything Not Rap!

23. s0meguy Worship me or suffer eternally Valued Senior Member

As much as I hate this type of music, yes it is music. One thing I've gotta say though I've never seen anyone remotely intelligent listening to this sort of crap (observation not prejudice)

I wonder though, according to many IQ test surveys, organisations whatever, music choice seems to be somewhat linked to IQ and most of these surveys show that classical music is generally liked by the highest IQ group and rap or R&B by the lowest IQ group. I wonder why this is, perhaps group behaviour? Perhaps an intelligent person has preference for complex music?