Is Racism about appearance?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by ElectricFetus, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BennyF Registered Senior Member

I don't care why some people believe in the mythical concept of race. I don't, and I offer myself to the rest of the world as a good example of someone who will never be a bigot because I don't believe in the imaginary concept of race.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Not always true.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

I would seriously love these types to take an MRI someday.

The results would be fascinating.

Your offer is rejected.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. BennyF Registered Senior Member

Hollywood has their own reasons for wanting to perpetuate the myth. By highlighting very superficial differences, they can encourage any group who thinks they're oppressed to ask Hollywood types to use their friendships with leftist politicians for political favors. Hollywood can also make movies that bring in income by appealing to a racist audiences and also to audiences who somehow feel guilty for their own personal or ancestral attacks by their own mythical race on other mythical races.

Race is unimportant and a mythical concept.

8. BennyF Registered Senior Member

It seems that you want to perpetuate a potentially harmful myth. Your feelings are noted.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I'm aware of the logic, I'm asking if it right and how exactly a group is categorized.

And how many Asians? How many per population percentage? How many white women to black women? If you look at the statistics they are much more discouraging then a few big name actors would lead you to believe.

10. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Prove it.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I said "mostly" you nit picking dip shits!

12. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Well then you have nothing to contribute to this thread then.

I disagree, I think they would start picking on each other for what ever reasons they make up fresh from the extinct made up reason of their ancestors, its instinct.

13. BennyF Registered Senior Member

I already did, using the example of the six world-wide races and the man from one race who fathers children with a woman from another race.

Their children can't honestly be called a full-fledged member of either race, so if you want to cling to this mythical concept, they have to be called mixed-race.

Tell me now what happens if these mixed-race children grow up to have children of their own, using spouses from either of the two original "races" or from a third "race"? How many races are you going to have to CREATE, just to continue believing in this mythical concept anyway?

14. Neverfly Banned Banned

No, you did not. Sorry, my wording was poor.

I am still uncertain that it's MOSTLY a contribution. I'll get to this below in a response to Benny F.
    I'm sure this would be very helpful.

But let's be scientific here, even about the ugly truths of human nature.

Akin to Pareidolia, there are many traits and behaviors that have demonstrated success in human survival. One such trait is the deep fear of strangers.
    Not strangers as in a person you've never met, but a KIND Of person that you've never met.

This deep fear, served for thousands and thousands of years to hinder exploitation and invasion among tribes.
    Distrust is deeply rooted.

Although cultural factors can influence growing humans to reject these natural notions, the notions are as natural as pareidolia.

Given training and time, the effect can be Overwhelmed by rational knowledge.

While you say something that could be true, the actual performance of such may not be quite as easy as you make it sound.

ElectricFetus:
    Personally, I find using racism to fight racism to just cause more bitterness and to be ultimately, self defeating of the purpose.

15. BennyF Registered Senior Member

I am contributing much more than you realize. I can never be a bigot because I don't believe in the mythical concept of race, which is absolutely necessary for any bigotry to flourish.

HUMAN instinct promotes a childish pecking order in children. They often look for small disadvantages in other people in order to make themselves artificially bigger. In their eyes, every grownup is taller, more physically capable than they are, and has more privileges than they do, so they look for other, smaller children to exploit. Anyone whose skin is a different shade of brown than their own is fair game for this scheme, which can lead to bigotry, and which makes it so important for unbelievers in the myth to stand up as the good examples we are.

16. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Interesting that you use the concept of a race, and the eventual dissolution of that race, to prove there was never one to begin with.

17. sandy Banned Banned

You mean about Hollywood? Yeah, there are famous Asians, too. I did not list all the minorities.

18. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Fair enough.

19. BennyF Registered Senior Member

Read one of my early posts. I learned in high school that you can disprove something by making the temporary assumption that it's true, and then showing, by a series of logical arguments, that this assumption NECESSARILY leads to a false conclusion, such as the need to create an extra race for the children of a B male and a C female.

20. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Not at all.
    There were quite separate and distinct races, now they are becoming less defined.
    Eventually, races will fade into history if things continue as they are.

That does not mean that the concept of race is mythical. Try again.

21. BennyF Registered Senior Member

Try WHAT? I'm already an unbeliever in the mythical concept, which means I can never be a bigot.

It's YOUR job to convince ME that race does exist, and that you have to try hard every single day to avoid bigotry. I don't.

22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I don't think you can never be bigoted, simple ignorance could easily cause you to accidentally be racially offensive, perhaps racism by accident is for another thread. Racism has acquired a whole list of does and do not, like etiquette, another contrived concept.

Clearly if you trying to argue with me by repeated and advocating my argument your only preaching to the choir.

23. BennyF Registered Senior Member

You must think that bigotry is possible even for people who think of the whole world being populated by one human race instead of half a dozen separate and mythical races. Please explain.

What I'm going to tell you is something I said to a church's Bible discussion group well over a decade ago. If you were to meet someone who lived in Moscow, and if you (through a translator) were to ask him what race HE belonged to, he would tell you proudly that he was a member of the Russian race. He would also tell you that this racial identity made him biologically different than the Cossacks, the Tartars, the Mongols, and the Baltics, all of them considered to be (by him) a different race than his own "Russian" race.

Is this racial concept any stranger than our own concepts? Is it any more scientific? Could this myth contribute to his own brand of bigotry? If so, then why continue it, and why continue our own potentially harmful myths?