Is politically correct (PC) a form of lying?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wellwisher, Jan 20, 2012.

1. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

This is true, wellwisher. PC is simply a weapon for wielding guilt regarding very specific political issues. My "PC" friends will get all upset about phrases like "Indian sit" (where you sit on the ground with your legs crossed) but they have no problem with dropping "Catholic Mafia" or even "crypto-Fascists" in their daily conversations.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's not about feelings per se, it's about honesty. An Indian isn't from India. A female mail delivery worker isn't a mailman. It's based on historical misunderstandings and prejudice. For the most part. Deal with it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

So where is the Crypto-Fascist Catholic Mafia from?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Who said crypto-fascist Catholic is politically correct? It doesn't sound PC to me.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The Pope's underground leatherboy club?

9. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Just an anecdote of typical language used by otherwise very politically-correct folks here in the States. My point is that "PC" is used as a weapon, selectively.

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The point is that I like to insult the Pope. If you like to be non-PC what you are saying is that you like to insult people (usually people that have been disempowered historically). That's fine, just know that that's what you are doing.

11. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

Ah...have we discovered how the PC crowd justifies the hypocrisy? "I'm only polite to those that I consider to be historically disempowered"?

The idea of being considerate of others' feelings is wonderful. The PC movement, as it applies to politics, is a lie.

12. wellwisher Banned Banned

Being non-PC does not mean you like to insult people. It means you will put truth and freedom of speech above the biased PC guidelines. These guide lines are not objective nor do they apply to all.

As far as calling the America Indians, native Americans, how is this any better, since they were here before it was called America. Shouldn't you use a native term in the native language, since native America is not technicality correct? It is not about being correct in an objective way, but more of a power grab via the hijack of language. I consider myself a language preservationist.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm polite to people that deserve it. It's not a lie, often PC terms are more accurate. Some people are language activists. If we change the language, we change attitudes. Republican operative Frank Luntz knows this better than anyone. Note that Republicans do the opposite all the time, for instance calling Obama the "food stamp president", now it's not "global warming" it's "climate change", it's not a "health care bill", it's a "big government takeover" with "death panels". Hypocrisy indeed.

14. Ripley Valued Senior Member

New fangle morality, eh? Such a bore.

It's hard to be completely against political correctness because the mob global community—such imprudent ruffians delicate innocence—are so prone to fuck-ups faux pas.

But the trouble and inconvenience of having a politically correct culture dominating the landscape is that now the genuinely conscientious man—and everybody loves a well-balanced character in our midst—will be difficult to detect!

15. RJBeery Natural Philosopher Valued Senior Member

So by this logic, only the historically disempowered are deserving of politeness. That's exactly how I would characterize the leftist view myself but I cannot believe that you would admit it. By the way, "global warming" wasn't changed to "climate change" by the conservatives. It was changed by the liberals so that any time weather appeared "erratic" (excessive heat, excessive snow, excessive rain, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc), they could blame it on consumerism.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

sure, in some cases but people lie anyways. it doesn't have to be labeled under political correctness.

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who are the opposite of the oppressed? The oppressors.

18. michael_taylor Registered Senior Member

It's just politeness.

So, yes, I suppose that is a form of lying. Or at least dissembling.

19. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Not at all. Some of the most PC people I have met were self-declared Christians. The others were explicit atheists.

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I guess, in short, PC is all about projecting oneself - and those already on one's side or those one wishes to attract to one's side - as a conscientious persons, while the PC agreement is to never look under the surface and to never actually test a person's conscientiousness.

21. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Thats not PC. Seriously do you HAVE a partner? because what she wants there is blood obvious. She doesn't want you to tell her if you think its a nice dress, she wants you to tell her you think she's attractive and that you love her. Are people really that thick?

22. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Men tend to be.

23. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I think that a little harsh, if it was true women wouldn't say that because they would never get the response they wanted. Communication is a two way street after all