Is Philosofy a Truth Seeker?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Linx, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Linx Registered Member

Well... is it?
    Then why is there so many different philosophies after 2000 years? Is there any truth within it... something we can call knowledge?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Linx Registered Member

So... what's your opinion...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

Philosophy is philosophy.

8. VossistArts 3MTA3 Registered Senior Member

i dont know is it any more complex of an answer than to say people just dont live that long. even is a philosopher works up a good original philosophy he or she probably dont have very much time to follow it all the way out. following someone else phillosophy especially after theyre gone seems like a waste of time. i dont guess that the next gen. has near the connection the original did, but i could be wrong.

9. duendy Registered Senior Member

'philosophy' means 'philo-sophia' the love of wisdom. the Goddess in patriarchal paganism was demoted to the 'mindedness of 'God''....so one can see the pursuit of philosophy was to get CLOSe to god's mind, which becomes 'Logos' then later the 'Word of God' in monotheistic religion

The first notable emergence of philosphy in the ancient mystery cults was in the branch of the Dionysian earth religion, called Orphism (see at google 'From Orphism to Gnosticism').....it's approach was philosophical and it reformed the origianl Dionysia, replacing its insights of 'open interpretation of Ecstatic ritual, and no separation between Earth ad Universe, etc., with an earth-negative donctrine it set down in stone, which indoctrinated the idea that a person's 'spirit' was trappend in the body and Nature...their term for this was "soma sema", meaning "the body a tomb"

as i see it. the fault of philosophical understanding--as shown by that overview, is that it gets lost in its own abstracted reasoning. in ther words it analyzes reality into byte-sized abstract-chunks and then believes they actuall hav an existence in them selves. so for example, 'light' and 'dark' ......from spliting those concepts we can imagine that light can be in a BATTLE against dark and vice verse. but in REALITy this is not so. it is JUSt in the philosophers heads

and talkin heads. their form of thinking cuts their heads off from their very BODIES. for they all put down Nature and natural emotions. go read Plato if you don't believe me.....check out Platonic dualism

10. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Sure philosophy is truth seeking....What is truth for me is not neccessarily truth for you. The questions have not all been asked so how can all the answers be known?

11. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

Philosophy is not an explanation of the world, but an arrangement. There is no real philosophical truth, that's why there are so many philosophies.

12. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

I find Lord Shiva as the logic (behind an explanation) and this is what makes a philosophy work (I would assume) and if so then philosophy is Lord Shiva and the reson behind everything and that itself is the truth. I think this also explains the myth that we are moving towards a 'Satya Yuga' (Time of the Truth) as we have better logical explanation of ‘mostly’ everything that we experience.

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

haven't understood a word of what you have just said!

14. sunday7 Registered Member

This is only a matter of opinion. There are many "philosophies" that rely on the notion that there IS one truth.

15. Onefinity Registered Senior Member

Unity in Diversity.

16. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

Eastern Philosophy treats Lord Shiva as ‘the self’ (Atman), the motivation for the being (living or non-living) to be in the state what it is. If so, I was suggesting in a much simple way, that we could consider this Atman as ‘logic’. Life (in living beings) and state (in non-living beings) are nothing but logic in different forms. In ‘life’ this logic convinces the self to remain alive and in a ‘state’ it reminds each component (micro or macro) to remain in the same stage without a change (increase or decrease) it’s entropy levels. But as the entropy of the universe is increasing, as change is inevitable, both ‘life’ and ‘state’ is not stable. It means ‘the self’ is forced to change per the nature, or the natural cause for a change at some point. If this was not happening then the world/universe would not have evolved to the stage it is now. And if the myths, Eastern as well as Western (some one need to help me with the Western part), says we are moving towards ‘time of the truth’ (Satya Yuga) then it means nothing but the universe will evolve and in future everything would be understood much better, in detail, from a micro and macro perspectives.

I find ‘logic’ as the best English word to explain Lord Shiva. Eastern philosophy says many things about Shiva

- Universe is filled with Shiva (universe if filled with ‘the self’ that want to exist)
    - Shiva is the destroyer (logic that drive entropy to increase)
    - Shiva exist with his feminine counterpart (like logic exist in relation to a ‘matter’, in any form)

Another interesting question would be ‘What about the inner evolution of ‘the self’”?

17. FieryKitten Registered Member

Philosophy is the search for knowledge and truth. Philosophy is the love of truth. There may be what you all call...many different "philosophies", none of which are true, but may have truth entailed.

Tell me, would anyone say that relgion is a truth seeker? It most certainly is not. Religion is a product of philosophy, and simply a stop on the train that is headed for knowledge.

FK

18. TheAcridApe Mt. Monkey Resident Registered Senior Member

It is hard to say because you have to undersatnd what truth is. Also what it is to you yourself.

19. FieryKitten Registered Member

There is only one truth. Truth is not subjective, by virtue.

FK

20. TheAcridApe Mt. Monkey Resident Registered Senior Member

You don't belive in truth as oppinions? But I can kinda see how truth only is thruth and how some things can only be truth and that's all. haha

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. FieryKitten Registered Member

Absolutely not. Truth is objective. And by virtue opinions are subjective. Opinions are beliefs, and beliefs need not be founded in truth. I can believe the sky is made of blue construction paper. Is that truth? What if I really believed it? What if I found some evidence?

FK

22. Yorda Registered Senior Member

In reality, there is no such thing as objectivity. Everything is subjective. Otherwise, no one would probably argue like this.

23. Cottontop3000 Death Beckoned Registered Senior Member

I totally agree. Anyone who thinks they KNOW anything is just deluding him/herself. Of course, I could be wrong.