Is Nibiru confirmed to exist?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by Saint, Oct 25, 2016.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

http://phys.org/news/2016-10-curious-tilt-sun-undiscovered-planet.html

Curious tilt of the sun traced to undiscovered planet
    October 19, 2016

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

X-rays stream off the sun in this image showing observations from by NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array, or NuSTAR, overlaid on a picture taken by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO). Credit: NASA
    Planet Nine—the undiscovered planet at the edge of the Solar System that was predicted by the work of Caltech's Konstantin Batygin and Mike Brown in January 2016—appears to be responsible for the unusual tilt of the sun, according to a new study.

The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly.

"Because Planet Nine is so massive and has an orbit tilted compared to the other planets, the solar system has no choice but to slowly twist out of alignment," says Elizabeth Bailey, a graduate student at Caltech and lead author of a study announcing the discovery.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-10-curious-tilt-sun-undiscovered-planet.html#jCp

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

So let me get this straight ; how big is this planet , relative to the sun ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

This planet is 130,000 less than the size of our Sun , yet it tilts the Sun . BS

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure you'll understand. I mean you couldn't work out how a planet maybe responsible for the Sun's tilt.
    clue: How do you believe they find extra solar planets river?
    Simply by the "wobble" or "otherwise unexplained" movement of a star.
    They are not actually seeing the planet, although other methods and technological improvements, mean that sometimes they can spot the planet.eg: If it moves in front of the distant star: consequently resulting in a dimming of the light.
    Hope all that helps...far better then the following nonsense.
    The following is an example of that bullshit......
    http://planetxnews.com/2016/06/16/overwhelming-evidence-2017-arrival-planet-x-nibiru/
    "There is no hiding this incoming solar system any longer! It consists of a dark star, smaller than our sun, which hosts seven orbiting bodies, some smaller than our moon and a couple of them larger than our Earth. The dark star is called “Nemesis” or “Planet X.” The blue planet is called the “Blue Kachina.” The planet that is larger than Earth that is orbiting the dark star is called “Nibiru.” It is also known as “The Planet of the Crossing” and the “Destroyer.” There is another object – some refer to it as “Helion.”

This system is, of course, not aligned with our solar system’s ecliptic, but is coming to us from an oblique angle and toward our South Pole. This makes observations difficult, unless you’re flying at a high altitude over South America with an excellent camera. As it intertwines and approaches it, will come from our south and loop all the way to the extreme north, then come back south again as it exits our orbital path.

The evidence to support this is overwhelming. There are 40 volcanoes erupting at the same time on Earth now. Earthquakes have dramatically increased both in number and intensity. The Elite are frantically building underground “safety” bunkers. The public is being kept in the dark deliberately to avoid panic. Storm systems are multiplying both in type, intensity and size. Sinkholes and cracks are appearing in the earth’s crust. Heatwaves are getting stronger and are lasting longer. I’m just waiting for the fat lady to sing!"

8. river

Observation

From your article pad ;

The large and distant planet may be adding a wobble to the solar system, giving the appearance that the sun is tilted slightly.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-10-curious-tilt-sun-undiscovered-planet.html#jCp

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I've read the article river, I posted the article river.

Planets, particularly large planets , can and do have effects on their mother star, and as a result the whole solar system, either in a wobble of the star, or a tilt of the solar system and star.

http://www.space.com/34448-planet-nine-solar-system-tilt.html
    Did the Mysterious 'Planet Nine' Tilt the Solar System?
    PASADENA, Calif. — The putative "Planet Nine" may have tilted the entire solar system, researchers say.

In January, astronomers revealed evidence for the potential existence of another planet in the solar system. Researchers suggest that if this world — dubbed Planet Nine — exists, it could be about 10 times Earth's mass and orbit the sun at a distance about 500 times the distance from the Earth to the sun.

Previous research suggested that Planet Nine would possess a highly tilted orbit compared with the relatively thin, flat zone in which the eight official planets circle the sun. This led scientists to investigate whether Planet Nine's slant might help explain other tilting seen elsewhere in the solar system

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Where did you get that figure?
    The "hypothetical" planet is 10 times bigger then Earth, and earth is around 11 times smaller then Jupiter, which in turn is around 11 times smaller then the Sun.
    Like I said, all planets have an effect on the Sun, particularly Jupiter due to its size.
    What you chose to believe from the point of incredulity, is your own business.
    Please note: a still hypothetical planet.

11. river

What are you on about ?

You don't know how many Earths fit inside the Sun ?

Figure it out pad ; how many Earths fit inside the Sun ?

Its simple mathematics , it's not complicated .

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You're talking about volume, I'm speaking diameter.
    The point though in this debate was the ridiculous implications re the OP and detailed in the link I gave.
    I don't believe you have yet commented on that.
    The second detraction point was you implying that any planet would not have an effect on the mother star. That is also wrong as per the examples I have given.
    They are the two crux of this thread so far.

13. river

Pad your going off the rails .

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Back with your insults when cornered river?

Again, the inference and implication in the OP was a planet X, that was going to collide or catastrophically disturb the inner solar system some time next year. That is sheer bunkum. Would you like to comment?
    Your other implication that any hypothetical planet would not affect the mother star is also wrong as per the observational examples i have given you. Want to comment?

15. river

Pad ....easy there fella

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No it isn't Saint. That is pure hogwash.
    In time this thread will be moved and really you have been here long enough to not post such rubbish in the sciences.

17. river

You are insane .

18. Saint Valued Senior Member

• Do not post nonsense in the main science forums
    Science is rubbish,
    create more sins in the world.
    More pollution, more diseases.

19. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yet here you are, posting on a science site.

20. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And, perhaps worst of all, it has no answer to the question "How to we deal with ignorant, unimaginative, bigoted fools?"

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The sun has a plane of rotation, like any other rotating body.
    It can be compared to both external reference points, (such as the galactic plane) and to internal reference points (such as the plane of our solar system).

Not having heard of this is a strong hint that you're in over your head.

22. ForrestDean Registered Senior Member

People have been predicting the arrival of this "Planet X" for well over a decade. Each year they keep saying it will arrive next year, and have been saying it every year since. And it's not just the "New Agers". People are always waiting for something to take them away from the seemingly monotonous, mundane, business as usual life. New Agers waiting for Planet X or an alien rescue, or Earth's ascension into the new 5th dimension, Christians waiting for the rapture or the second coming of Jesus, conspiracy theorists waiting for the New World Order or the elite to implement a one world government, martial law, Fema camps, etc., doomsday economists waiting for the collapse of the economy, and on and on. I think people are just tired of the same old same old. Most people are probably just tired of getting up in the morning and doing the same old thing every single day - kinda like the movie Groundhog Day. People are probably tired of having to go to work so they can pay their taxes, pay their mortgage, pay their bills, and put food on the table. People are probably tired of the same old stupid politicians always making the same old promises that everyone already knows they can't keep, tired of the same old wars, the same old poverty, same old increasing disparity in social classes. I think people are just tired and just want to see change.

There have been so many countless failed predictions over the years you would think that at least one would come true, if even by accident. And if ever there is a major event that occurs, someone will obviously take credit for predicting it. Never mind the hundreds of failed predictions they made before hand. By the way, whatever happened to that 2012 thing? Oh yeah that's right, nothing. Ever heard of the Webbot Project? You know the supposedly high tech computer that made predictions based on statistical data associated with human behaviour. What a joke. That was a failure. I'm not sure if Clif High still uses it or not. I think he's still around though. Anyone ever heard of the October 14th 2008 prediction by Blossom Goodchild. That was embarrassing for her. I think she almost wanted to commit suicide because she was so certain, but I think she finally got over it.

Anyway the list goes on and on and on. If by some remote chance that a "Planet X" does arrive into our observable solar system, no one can take credit for predicting it's arrival except for the scientists or astronomers who happen to see it already coming with one of our telescopes.

23. exchemist Valued Senior Member

To be scrupulously fair, the word "tilt", applied to the sun, seems pretty meaningless unless someone says what about the sun (which is essentially spherical) can be said to be "tilted", and with respect to what. Unfortunately you did not make this clear. (Sometimes I wonder if you entirely understand the things you post with such aggression....... Mind you, if you choose to correspond with River, I am not surprised you become aggressive

)

Reading the article you linked to, the "tilt" referred to is the difference in alignment, by 6 deg or so, between the axis of spin of the sun and the orbital axis of most of the planets (i.e. perpendicular to the ecliptic).

Given that the solar system is thought to have condensed from a rotating cloud of gas and dust, conservation of angular momentum would lead the axes to be aligned. That they are slightly misaligned can - it seems - be explained if there is an undiscovered 9th planet at some large distance from the sun, which has a markedly different orbital axis. The article proposes an object with the mass of 10x Earth, and a highly eccentric orbit inclined at ~30 deg to that of the other planets. There is also a Wiki article on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Nine