Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Greatest I am, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

Gods have no needs or wants that man can assuage. Gods are said to be so high above us that for any God to have such a need would be like man craving the adoration of germs.

I see us as just as foolish as germs and the creatures shown in this clip as we act the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4a_uwyY_H4

I can see where at one time it would have been profitable to bend the knee to King/Gods as in the original archetype city states, as used in the original Eden myth written by the Jews, but not today.

That myth I think was written of the following reality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9cvYB7Tes

Our present secular systems of governance have bested the Gods in the moral and legal senses and only the really right wing theists would want to live under the laws of the old barbaric Gods.

I am not an atheist and seek God to appease what I recognize as my spiritual side. But not to bend the knee or adore; just to improve any defect in my thinking; if I have one.

I know that there are way more followers out there than leaders but cannot fathom why someone would want to lower themselves to adore even a God unless it is strictly as a self-serving action that we hope God will recognize and reward.

That is hardly being good for goodness sake. God would know and send such hypocrites to hell. Which scriptures say is where the vast majority of us will end up regardless.

That means that you, even if you pray daily and hard, are likely going to hell along with most of those you know. In a sense, you should feel sorry for those few who make it to heaven as they must spend eternity watching their loved ones in purposeless torture. That would drive any moral person insane.

Gods have no needs or wants and has no rewards to give in exchange for what Gods have no need or want of.

The Godhead I know certainly disavows such a need or want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkT1-N0VqUc

Why then, if you are a believer, do you need or want to worship a God if not for the reward you think it will bring you?

Is your need to adore a God a defect or benefit?

Regards
    DL

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arauca Banned Banned

The way as I feel , He have been a companion to me all my life , If there is a hell so be it if He sends me there so be it , I might be pissed but He have been a good companion , I got upset many times but at the end I reflected it was my fault . So I like Him to continue to guide me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. geeser Atheism:is non-prophet making Valued Senior Member

Clearly a defect, and made even more so by what has been written by Arauca, this person is having a finite life, but thinks it's ok that a god would send them to hell for eternity. Clearly it has to be a defect to make someone so deluded. Luckily their life will simply end. But to think that way has got to be a defect.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

I might be diluted , but I have the option go to hell or not , it depends on the life that I carry on, while I am a life , but you guys are absolutely so sure that there is nothing beyond this life , is plain stupid , as a gambler I have the option of win or loose , but the atheist if there is some life beyond is a loose loose proposition.

8. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Tell us verbatim what he has told you that you did not get from the bible?
    If bible God is the one you speak of.

Regards
    DL

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But you might be following the wrong after life religion too. This is Pascal's wager.

10. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

No argument.

It does seem rather a far cry from the justice that scriptures speak of. That being an eye for an eye.

Then again, Christians do not think that God has to follow his own laws or advice.

They have to embrace an immoral double moral standard to do so but they do not seem to recognize how their religious views have corrupted their morals.

Regards
    DL

11. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Only if your God sends good people to hell.

Does he?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94f2h-5TvbM&feature=player_embedded

Does your God send moral non-believers to hell?
    If so, why?

Regards
    DL

12. Black_Hawk106 Registered Member

I don't believe it's a defect, per se, but it's definitely not a benefit.

13. arauca Banned Banned

Not all that is in the bible is God spoken to me , there are some horrible things that people have done , so that is a story on how bad asome people were . Jacobs sons wiped out a whole village and there are many more

14. arauca Banned Banned

What else would I do, I am happy most of the time , and the bible is a remainder for me , that there is God specially Genesis , the creation and evolution up to man

15. arauca Banned Banned

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Are you worried you might go to hell? And even if you aren't, think of the children, did you make them worried for no reason?

17. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

The defect occurs only when one amplifies the belief. So worshipping a god would fall into that category since the believer has added detail to the belief. How could anyone possibly know that a god who is a belief, needs to be worshipped? Therefore the predominant belief is not a defect, however once fact is associated with it then it becomes unrestrained fantasy. At some point the boundary between imagination and reality cannot be distinguished and the believer is prone to compound their error many times over .

Other than the usual therapeutic affect for people dealing with things beyond their control, I see no benefit to god belief.

18. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The answer is it is like time. It is relative. It depends on your perspective. It can be a blessing. It can be blight or a defect. It is all a matter of perspective.

19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

So if most people in the world believed that time consisted of intelligent lightning bolts traversing the universe then you would not see that as a defective thought? I'd be OK with that but what if they felt compelled to worship the bolts?

20. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

If they wanted to worship bolts, fine. But I think you are missing the point. Religion brings comfort to some and it may bring distress to others. It depends on your perspective. My comment was not an endorsement of religion but rather a statement of fact.

The human mind needs to be reassured. As humans we have a need to exercise at least a modicum of control. And in a chaotic world, religion provides assurance, comfort and the perception of control and purpose. Religion can turned ugly rather quickly. We don’t have to look far to find examples of terrors performed in the name of God and religion. Religion is both good and bad. It depends on one’s perspective. Religion provides comfort and reassurance for billions of people around the globe every day. It helps them role out of bed and face the world every day. It gives them hope and comfort. It explains the uncertainty in their lives. It helps them cope with the world around them. It helps them deal with horror and tragedies and the uncertainties of life. And if it is a good religion, it helps them get along with their neighbors, and brothers and sisters across the globe.

21. arauca Banned Banned

I an not I don't know what that is . One of my sons say " he prefers to serve God because of His creation. .

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

amplifies?
    what would be an example of a belief that doesn't get amplified?
    (aside from something that one doesn't really believe in ... which, ironically, arises from a set of beliefs one inevitably "amplifies")

Its unclear how you propose to demarcate belief as distinct from ever finding expression in action ... and even more unclear how one can ever stabilize on the platform of not believing in certain things without believing in others

This sounds like atheist propaganda simply aimed at lessening the social influence/representation of theism ... (for the sake of asserting an alternatively favoured social influence/representation ... which is of course the waft and wane of any sort of ideological point of contention).

Usually dead giveaways are when the speaker bypasses any discussion on what constitutes "reality" despite it being the crux of the point under discussion.

IOW anyone who says "its ok to believe something as long as you don't act like you believe it" is guilty of doing what they are setting out to disband : namely, positing a position of belief through the agency of action.

:shrug:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  23. schema Registered Member

I think believing in a god, a "hereafter" is perhaps the only mechanism humans have for psychologically preparing for the inevitability of death. So I guess I would call it a benefit, but I say that lucidly.