Is Libertarianism A Realistic Posibility?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Aug 6, 2008.

1. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Fariness in paying for a government system that benefits its citizenry unequally - as all do - is a properly discussed criterion when evaluating a taxation system. A fairer taxation system distorts the markets less, curbs freedoms less, suppresses productive effort less, costs less.

But more to the point, a bad argument for a tax does not invalidate the good ones.
    Probably. But that would not be a matter of principle, even libertarian principle, but one of circumstance and physical reality.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Is it libertarian if one group exercises disproportionate power over other segments of the society?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

The difference is that renting a backhoe is a voluntary agreement between you and the lender. An income tax is taking property at the point of a gun. Taxation would be more like the government forcing you to lease the backhoe.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

It depends what you mean by "power". The idea of libertarianism is that nobody has the right to initiate force (or fraud) against anyone else.

8. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Fairness in execution, yes, I agree. But you're missing the point. I was mocking the claim of fairness by pointing out that only the rich would've paid the income tax. If certain rich individuals are taking advantage of government force to secure their profits, then their method of taking advantage should've been the target. Implementing the income tax did nothing to change the rich's influence on government. Not to mention that the rich who take advantage of government force and the rich who don't would've BOTH been held accountable... way to be fair.

But going back to my attack on your earlier point, the government systems you mentioned earlier did not and do not require an income tax to exist.

Just because you say so doesn't make it true.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

What do you think?

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

No, I don't think it is Libertarian for one group to exercise disproportinoate power. There is some common areas in which we need some ground rules. Where those ground rules fall gets a little murky. The key is what is disproportionate. It is rather subjective.

What comes to mind is the financial mess created under the W years and Republican domination of congress. I think those that voted for them should flip the bill. As I never voted for them or supported any of their excess spending or actions. But I have to pay the bill...not fair.