is it wrong to THINK it?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Taffy Wake, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

This is to Oxygen

I once had a dream like yours. I killed someone - and it was gory-but I also went through the process of cutting them up into pieces and burying them in the backyard of a house I used to live in. I didn't know who the person was, thank god, that would have added to the freakiness of the dream.

The experience of waking up thinking that I actually had done that overnight will always be remembered. I woke up expecting police to be pounding at my door.

I'm someone who hates confrontation of any sort, so I bottle up a lot of stuff that maybe I should vent. I also hate violence of any sort, so this dream really rattled me. I read books where they say dreams mean something, but nothing related to my dream. I don't think I've ever been more frightened.

I write this because I've never heard anyone else having that same experience, so I feel a bit relieved. Thanks for sharing that, I hope you feel a bit better too.

Teri

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bohemian Nightmare I am better than you Registered Senior Member

i think it depends weather you are detered by the consequence or the immorality of it. for example, i find myself attracted to some young girls i know. i could probably have sex with them and not get caught, but i wouldnt do it because in my heart i know that its wrong. but if i was only detered by the possibility of getting caught, then i could percieve that to be wrong.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Teri Curious Registered Senior Member

Hi Bohemian Nightmare, and welcome.

I remember distinctly I wasn't worried about either. My objective in this dream was to cover up the person I had 'murdered' without being caught. The method I used in the dream didn't make me feel sick at all. During the dream it seemed like the best option for covering my tracks. Your question is a good one - now that I think about it, the guilt and horror hit first and secondly the consequences and fear. I NEVER want to have that sort of dream again but from time to time it comes to mind, and I think about how much of myself there is that I don't know about.

At another time I had a dream that may be of interest to those who are afraid of dogs. While I was growing up my fear of dogs would always get me into trouble, because dogs smell fear and would always attack me (not badly, but they would nip at me, and being a little kid I was always scared). Even though I love puppies and would adore having my own dog, any other dogs (particularly big dogs) would cause me to really become frightened and I would do all I could to avoid getting anywhere near the dog. One night I dreamed I was crossing a footbridge where there was no room to avoid walking past a German Shephard. In the dream, the dog of course attacked me. It gripped my forearm biting down hard. The thing was that while this was happening I was thinking that his bite wasn't all that bad and that it really didn't hurt at all. The dream was telling me that I really had nothing to worry about. And guess what? I've never been frightened of dogs since. I wouldn't go as far as staring one in the eyes but I don't have to cross the road anymore to avoid them. I figure that was a psychologically healing dream. That being said, it makes me wonder whether all the pent up anger at people that I never express resulted in the 'murder' dream. It also adds to my amazement of the human mind.

Happy dreaming
    Cheers,
    Teri

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Taffy Wake,

Yes... because is the INTENTION that counts...

Love,
    Nelson

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

who counts those intentions?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I have had such intention tht I should be locked away for some 10 000 years

let's say I have an intention to kill you this very instantbut I can't do that because you're smwhere far away. and after a few minutes decide tht my intention would have no use if fulfilled I start to make plans how to imprision you and take over the world and send into slavery all people of Africa

How does this hurt you or me or africans. the effect is ZERO.
    so why trouble with some moral nonsence?
    cheers!

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

When you have this kind of thinking you are hurting yourself. And if you do what you are thinking, than you are hurting not only yourself, but other people too.

What is important is what's in your Heart. If you like to hurt, you are in serious trouble not with other people, but with yourself. You will most likely finish with no self-steem, or so proud of yourself that you'll do what you intend too... One of the two extremes, nothing in beween.

Love,
    Nelson