Is it possible to dim the nuclear explosion?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Eagle9, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Eagle9 Registered Senior Member

Imagine that we are going to explode the nuclear bomb in high atmosphere (let’s assume at the altitude of 50 km). After explosion the shockwave and radiation (Thermal and Ionizing) are produced. And now imagine that we need (no matter why) to almost completely dim the (both) radiation. In other words, the shockwave should be produced the same, but the intensity of both radiations should be significantly decreased, how this can be done?
    Wikipedia
    So, if I understood correctly, in order to decrease the (both kind of) radiation we should surround the nuclear bomb with some dense material, right? Will it work? We should not forget that we are talking about the explosion in the rarefied atmosphere, so for our goal this additional layer should quite thick, is it right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I don't think so under the scenario you've given. Consider subterranean testing back in the '50s:

Underground nuclear testing

That's many, many tons of rock to absorb all the blast, not just the EM stuff.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Eagle9 Registered Senior Member

Ok, but I am not speaking about subterranean testing

I want to know if it is possible to decrease the intensity of both radiations significantly. Instead of rocks we can use any material known in Chemistry (for example we can choose the material with the maximum value of specific heat capacity in order the additional layer to be heated/vaporized as slowly as possible. As I guess in this case the EM radiation will be somehow “delayed”) and besides the thickness of the additional layer can be arbitrary.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

My reference to subterranean testing gives you facts about the amount of shielding you'd need.

Dense stone has a high heat capacity. You'd still need many meters that would vaporize, and many more meters to absorb the radiation remaining...

So, the short answer is no.

8. Eagle9 Registered Senior Member

Dr_Toad
    Ok, thanks for your answer

9. river

No

Because there is more to nuclear explosions then you may think

For example in testing of nuclear bombs , the calculations of the megaton yield , were wrong

The yields were actually above or below the calculated yields

Which implied that something else was going on