Is it possible that the gravity that keeps our feet planted on the Earth is..

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by jiveabillion, Jul 8, 2013.

1. jiveabillion Registered Member

You didn't watch my 58 minute video where I explain all of that. Like I said though, you'll have to figure out what I'm trying to say because I don't know the vernacular very well and I haven't had the chance to sit down with a physicist to go over it yet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

To repeat, because you obviously missed it the first time

The warping of space/time by mass and energy. That's General Relativity, which is very well tested and verified by experiment, observation, and practical application.

By 'you people' you mean people who have actually studied it?

I don't have to watch an hour long boobtube of a crank to know it's a crank.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jiveabillion Registered Member

Fine, be like everyone else I've tried to share my idea with, you are such a dick.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

If everyone else you've tried to share your idea with reacts the same, you might consider that you're the dick.

8. jiveabillion Registered Member

Actually, the one person who has listened to me is a guy at work who studied physics in college and continues to study it. He says it makes a lot of sense and has urged me to write a paper. Since I don't know the math, I've been trying to find someone who can help me with it. He would help me, but he is moving to Tennessee next week and has a full schedule with work and kids. It's the online physics community that I've found to be full of dicks that won't even take the time to watch my video. What I really need is someone to meet in person or at least video chat with so that we can discuss things while I make sure we are both on the same page before I move on.

You have proven to me that you are one of those dicks.

9. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

You're demonstrating that you're a classic crank.

"I don't know anything about physics, I don't know anything about gravity, I don't know any math, I've never studied any science, but I'm sure I'm right because I thought up this great idea. Prove me wrong"

You will continue this, because that's what cranks do.

10. jiveabillion Registered Member

Well, you've demonstrated your position on my theory. You may leave the thread now. Thanks for your valuable insight.

11. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

The real meaning to gravity is secret as weapons made using gravity could have big consequences.

The public do not need to know why and how gravity exists and works, so they get a foolish idea given to them at school. I doubt nasa believes the version we where all given at school.

The meaning behind gravity is probably a top secret. Too dangerous to tell people, as the ptb need some techs and knowledge kept secret to keep others from finding new weapons that can be very dangerous.

12. jiveabillion Registered Member

Thanks for making fun.

However, you have brought up a fact about our education system. I didn't find out until recently that the solar system revolves around the galaxy at a ~60 degree angle like it does. They don't teach that in school. They also don't make it clear just how far away from the sun the planets are. All of the illustrations are made to fit on one page and the planets are made big enough for you to see some detail. It's terrible that they don't teach a more accurate model of the solar system.

13. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Holy crap that's a riot! If your video has gems like that in it then it may be worth watching just for the laughs.

14. jiveabillion Registered Member

What's so funny about that? Are you saying that the Solar System doesn't revolve around the center of the Milky Way?

Edit: I re-read your post. I see that you think it's funny what they teach. I don't think it's funny at all.

15. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I didn't comment on the solar system revolving around the milky way did I? But since you are asking about it; is that angle +60% or -60%?

16. jiveabillion Registered Member

I still don't see what's so funny. I've seen the ecliptic plane depicted as both 60 and 62 degrees relative to the galactic plane if you're looking at it with the solar system between you and the galactic center and the solar system revolving clockwise.

17. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

If we operate on the assumption that you are not just trolling for laughs, you should WANT to try to explain things here.

More to the point, your claim is mathematical in nature, so claiming youve figured out a new theory of gravity without math is equivalent to saying you hit 62 home runs without a baseball bat. It would be insulting if it went so laughable.

18. jiveabillion Registered Member

I realize that, but I lack the proper vernacular to express my thoughts without visual aid. I've tried explaining myself many times before, but all I get in return is "you're using the wrong terms for this, that's now how that works, you must mean this". It's been incredibly frustrating.

19. Tach Banned Banned

It is frustrating because you are attempting to discuss subjects that you are clearly ignorant on.

20. jiveabillion Registered Member

That's kind of a stupid way to look at it. We humans could observe and think long before we had any notion of math. I have made observations that inertia and momentum (along with its conservation) are all that would be needed to make what we observe as gravity. It seems to me that everyone looks at gravity from a frame of reference where the Earth is at rest and nothing on its surface that isn't moving relative to a point on that surface has any momentum, when that just isn't true.

If you were in space and traveling in a straight line at 100km/s and you threw a ball behind you, it wouldn't stop following you unless you threw it at 100km/s. If you did that, it would just stop moving in the direction you are moving. However, you can't throw it that fast because of the conservation of momentum. You would be accelerated away from the ball. You and the ball would still be traveling in the same direction, but at different speeds. If you were to slow down to a speed lower than the ball was traveling, it would catch up to you eventually.

21. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

If you were standing on the equator, you would be moving in an eastward direction at about 1100 miles per hour. Inertia would keep you moving in a straight line, so you should simply fly off the surface of the earth. Your momentum would keep you moving in that straight line at a constant speed. Spin a rock on a string horizontally over your head. Release the string, and the rock flies off in a straight line at a tangent to the circle. What prevents that? What keeps you moving in a curve? What keeps your feet on the ground, when inertia makes you fly away at a tangent to the curve?

22. jiveabillion Registered Member

First of all, that would be proper acceleration.

The Earth isn't slinging you around like that. It changes the direction of your momentum as it rotates you around without accelerating you. You have to look at the directions and speeds the earth is moving relative to the direction it rotates. A body on its surface has the momentum to move at the same speed as the center of the earth. If you follow a body on the equator and keep close attention to the path in which it moves relative to the center of the Earth, you can see that it proportionately speeds the body up in one direction, while it slows it down in another. You can watch how it does this on any point on the surface of the Earth. The body's own inertia creates the normal force as it resists this change in direction. If you calculate and plot the resultant of force vectors on a body on opposite sides of the Earth, you will see how the resultants intersect. If you do this all along the equator, it creates a cone shape that points towards the path that the solar system is moving around the galaxy. If the Earth wasn't in the body's way, it would move towards the center of where the Earth was.

23. Aqueous Id flat Earth skeptic Valued Senior Member

Read your history again. There was no significant progress in ancient cultures until they began to discover mathematics.

No you haven't. You just think you have. Big difference. Another reason math is needed. This may be like teaching a tone-deaf person to sing, however. It's entirely possible you are not trainable and are simply locked in on your personal view of reality, which, as we all know, collides with the most basic ideas in science posted everywhere. Apparently that is what drives to you post here. However if you are here to learn, there are plenty of folks who can help.

If you have no sense of math, you can't possible have a sense of a frame reference. So anything you think about it isn't likely to be true. For the same reason that you even use words like “inertia", "frame of reference" etc., you should at least be curious what they mean. It's hard to know how you can understand them if you are ignorant of math. But then, if that's true, and assuming you are honest, you should conclude that all of this is beyond your comprehension and ask for help.

As above, you have no reason to believe in conservation of momentum if you are incapable of discerning the causes of gravity. Further, without any math you're just making a lot of assumptions to shore up your beliefs. What's to gain from that, when a little light reading could put this to bed for you?

If you seriously believe any of this you can very easily test it by comparing the weight of Neil Armstrong on the Moon vs. on Earth, and comparing their rates of rotation. What does that tell you?