is it necessary to take showers everyday?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by chris4355, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I live in Atlanta, GA. Most of us should know where our water originates because every year we are in a new drought. They will always start off the news of this drought by saying Lake Lanier is 15 feet below full and that the Chattahoochee river is drying up (and full of toxic substances).

It really sucks that we have millions of people living in an area totally dependent on a man-made lake initially designed for flood control.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

What part? I have daughter who lives in the NE I visit in July.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I live in Decatur... but the far west part. So, I just say I live around NE Atlanta as well. If you want to come kill me, I'm 1/2 a mile off the N Druid Hills exit.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

My record for not showering is about 4 weeks.
    That was of course, when I was consistently traveling. So Instead of a full shower, I'd wash body parts that were filthy.

However. In a nutshell

It depends on what you do during the day. If you sweat alot, then yes. If not, as long as you keep wearing fresh clothes and shower once a week, then you don't have to shower every day.
    Also, different people emit different levels of smell,so if you radiate whatever you had for breakfast. yeah, you should shower.

But not showering every day isn't life threatening, neither is not showering every month. If it was, homeless people would all die out by now.

8. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Actually, Flies are attracted to the smell of soap and the colour of your skin, unless it's perfectly transparent or grey.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I agree with Dragon. Your friends, no doubt, realize that showering with a cast is difficult and so are putting up with your offensive odor. I know from personal experience with aupairs (like nannys) that came from Europe (where a daily shower is, apparently, not so common) they would stink. I'd have to tell them that, while in the US, a daily shower was mandatory.

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

flies are natural 'de composers' often looking for a place to lay eggs.
    they also feed on nectar's so are often attracted to something sweet
    possibly perfumes. any substance that emanate gasses and oders
    of degeneration (rotting) wil also attract them.
    Source(s):
    USC Irvine, entomology

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I'd bet that a daily swim, and frequent rainwashing etc, is perfectly natural and physically best.

Humans really like to bathe. They'll break ice to go swimming, build little catchponds for water right inside their houses just to sit in, etc.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Huh ? Do you have a source ?

13. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

lol. I can assure you my friends would comment on it regardless. we are quite blunt with each other.

I actually told them a week later and they were surprised.

14. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I do not know, but bet that 200 or more years ago at least 2 of every 3 could not even swim. Perhaps someone good at searching will tell us?

One of the strange things I liked about Cornell back when I was an undergrad there was swiming the length of the pool was a graduation requirement, if you could not produce a doctor's certificate excusing you. I doubt it still is as most going there now can swim.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  15. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Here's something I've always wondered...Does washing with soap everyday increase the amount of oil your skin and hair follicles produce? A couple of years ago, my water was shut off for almost 3 months, due to a really big water leak I could not afford to fix. My parents only live a couple of blocks down the road, so I did all my showering there, or at my gym. I went from showering everyday to once or twice a week, and I noticed my hair and skin didn't seem to get as greasy as quickly when I was showering less. Now that I'm back to showering everyday, if I don't shower on the weekends, I get really greasy, very quickly.

My friend was in Desert Storm, and he said they would go weeks without showering..he said eventually you just started smelling like the desert.

16. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

ive noticed that too. my skin does not break out or get oily at all if i dont shower.

when i was younger and had acne problems, just the act of taking a shower before sleeping would make my entire face break out.

17. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

I used to shower twice a day (in Indonesia), now I just take shower once a day. Indonesia has quite high average annual rainfall, around 1,780–3,175 mm in lowlands, and up to 6,100 mm in mountainous regions. On the other hand, Australia has just around 300-700 mm average annual rainfall, with exception of Tully, Queensland, which is up to 4000 mm. Therefore, I am allowed to shower more often than you

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

j/k

I only shower twice a day in summer (in Germany), because sometimes it's too hot and make my nose bleeding. But I normally take shower just quickly (I guess less than 5 minutes) except when I wash my hair.

Gotta go to Uni, ciao for now!

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

the dam indonesian's are stealing our rain

i am writing to kevin rudd to suggest we invade to get out rain back

19. John99 Banned Banned

20. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Infection???? Yeh, great big killer lizard and infection is what I'm really going to be concerned about!

21. iceaura Valued Senior Member

To find what is "natural", in the sense of physical adaptation, 200 years ago would not be the right time frame.

The correlation of non-swimming with disease and general misery argues better the other way.

We have no historical records from the right time for observing our natural physical environment, but it almost certainly involved a lot of wading and swimming. Look at your feet.

22. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

You said swimming was "natural" - Iwas only pointing out it is only very recently that mankind in general has been swimming. Now many, if not most, men use a fork or chop stick tool to put food, but I would not say that is natural. Likewise any activity that has been recently introduced has no claim to being "natural" - For example flying airplanes is not a natural activity of mankind.

I fail to see your point about 200 years not being the "right time frame." Any activity "A" introduce only during the last 50,000 years would seem to me to refute the claim that activity "A" is natural to man. For a more marginal acivity, I think one could argue that growing cerials in cultivated fields is not a natural activity of man. I was only refuting your claim that swimming is natural to mankind. I will however admit that occasionally a few men fell in a river or lake and managed to get out without drowning. It would be informative to know when mankind first made boats - probably some men soon thereafter intentional swam.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2009
  23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Because what people were doing 200 years ago has no better claim to what is "natural" than what they are doing right now.
    And I was pointing out that we have reasonable evidence swimming and wading were common activities of humans since before they were humans - let alone a mere 50k years ago. Again - look at your paddle-webbed feet (and fingers), your esophageal tract and nasal/laryngeal morphology, the layer of fat all over your body, the down-turned nose, the strange sweat gland setup, etc.

And look at where humans live - if you take a map of the world and put a black dot on it for every thousand people, you'll have the oceans and lakes and rivers outlined in black. You'd swear we were mapping seal colonies.

And how human children like to play. At the beach, if possible. Overlooking or near water, second best. If all else fails, get a hose and fill plastic pond in the back yard, or a box of beach-like sand with some buckets of water to make little rivulets. People even construct little ponds of water inside their houses, to sit in and "bathe". Their pets don't use them much - outside of pet ducks, pet beavers or muskrats, pet fish or turtles, or other animals as water-oriented as people are.

The first man made boat almost certainly predates agriculture by tens of thousands of years.