Is it fair to send people to hell for being mistaken?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Nasor, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

So much for "internal morality"...

Stop 'laughing' and start reading...begin by memorizing the portions previously provided/posted.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Since Photizo posted on this, yet ignored my last attempt at discussion, let me try this again.
    Perhaps (s)he didn't see my post...

Tell me exactly how.

The quote says that it is not the observation of the law that makes one "good".
    One can be "bad" and still obey the law.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Draqon, I totally agree with you, but to answer the question of this thread, one would need to determine if a mistake was being made. IMO, believing in these things is a mistake, so not believing in them makes one of sound mind and, therefore, no mistake has been made.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

One _raven, the book of Romans also says exactly the opposite of the Romans 3:19 verse you mentioned. Check it out.

Romans 2:6-13 (New International Version)

6God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11For God does not show favoritism. 12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

So according to the above passage, salvation is by works and by keeping the Law! :bugeye:

Regards

8. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Glossing over portions of Scripture prohibits you from gleaning Its Truth i.e. yanking the verses out of the context of Paul's argument (which comprises the first 5 chapters of Romans btw) will cause a spiritually fatal error. ...You need to read a bit further along in Romans...but I doubt you possess the Spiritual 'stuff' necessary to grasp Paul's argument. Regardless, you've been careless and sloppy.

9. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

This passage is specifically referring to hypocrites who judge others being thusly judged by God.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Photizo, I am still curious to hear an answer to my original question. How could it ever be "just" for a person to be sent to hell for all eternity simply for making an honest mistake?

11. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Since you understand this passage, could you please explain it to me?

12. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Nasor, that's just the way it is. Same crazy logic that says a baby(whom can never possibly make a mistake) goes straight to heaven.

If you love your kids, slay them, before they sin. Nope Logic does not apply here.

13. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

One_raven Romans 2:6-13 says two things very, very, clearly and simply.

6 God "will give to each person according to what he has done." 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

How can the meaning of these simple words be inverted to mean exactly the opposite of what they say?

Jesus even teaches exactly the same thing.

14. Photizo Ambassador/Envoy Valued Senior Member

Deliberately lying to oneself can hardly be classified as an honest mistake.

15. erkel Registered Member

we may never know the answer. unless you died and came back to tell about it.

16. nova900 more spirituality,less dogma Registered Senior Member

For a god that proclaims to represent unconditional love to send people to an eternal hell is a god that is a contradiction unto itself.

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Is that your belief, that any person who is not a Christian is deliberately lying to one's self?

18. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Since, you must surely not be lying to yourself, while everyone else here must be, please explain Romans 2:6-13 to me when you have a minute.

Thank You!

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You see, that's the problem. Not everyone who doesn't believe in god is "deliberately lying to oneself". Some people simply analyze the evidence as best they can, and reach the wrong conclusion. Many people honestly don't believe that there is a god, no deliberate lying involved. That's the whole problem...it's a situation where god is punishing people simply for being mistaken, rather than for deliberately doing something wrong. How could that be just?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

Is just me or can anyone else detect the arrogance of Photizo?

21. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

Not sure if God did it on purpose, but this world was set up to make it seem like no God exists to the highest degree. Look around. There is no evidence for God at all. Especially in people.

There are fossils imbedded in rocks which clearly suggest evolution (Oh that's right, Satan planted the fossils of the first bacteria, fish, mollusks, etc.)

By simply looking around and not seeing any sign of spiritual occurances (people walking on water, etc.) it's not hard to see why the vast majority of people do not have a firm faith in God.

Given, it is possible to have a weak faith in God. 85% of all Christians have a 10% weak lingering belief in their mind that Jesus saved them from their sins. Which is why 85% of Christians lives their lives as sinful or even more sinful than many "atheists". I have that same weak 10% lingering belief that Global Warming was caused by us, which is why I will never alter my life or make any sacrifices to adapt to Global Warming, such as consuming less energy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I can't tell if he is really a christian, or just someone playing games pretending to be a christian. He might be simply parodying christians by answering everything with cut-and-paste bible verses and refusing to actually engage in a discussion. His user title is "Light Bearer" which is the literal latin translation of "Lucifer", which seems like an odd name for a christian to give himself. "Photizo" is greek for "to illuminate," which goes along with his "Lucifer" user title. But "Tizo" was also the name of a historically famous sword from Spain that was used by Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar in the 11th century, and since his user icon is a light saber he might have been making a joke about a "light sword" by adding "pho" to the beginning so that it implied "photons". Or maybe it's all a coincidence and I'm giving him too much credit.

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I believe in other threads I have accused you of arrogance, or stupidity, or some equally damning personality defects. However, in this instance I agree with you completely. Perhaps you could take your partner out this evening to celebrate this stamp of approval.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!