Is it ever okay for men to cry in public?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TimeTraveler, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Dog's have opinions, if you are a mean master you get bitten, and they don't rescue everyone, only their favorites.

Cat's don't do much anything but leech off humans. The time we spend on cats could be spent helping children in Africa in my opinion.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Opinionated does not mean intelligent. Cat's are too independent to be friends with, you can only lock them in a cage to control them, while dogs you can communicate with. I don't see how anyone can have a pet tiger running around and playing with them for example. Cat's arent companions, they are children, and if you want a child why not adopt?

I do not understand why people want to take care of cats, but cannot take care of homeless children of the third world. Why don't you adopt a child?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

i have a cat. i've always had cats. i find i canNOT stand the way dogs fawn all over you. that and the drooling doggy breath. *shudder!*
    cats are independent and some people like that. that is also the prime reason they are not like children. true, you can't control them, but why would you want to?
    personally, i like an animal i can pet when i need some company but won't mind when i decide to get up and walk away.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

If I ever cry in public, it's because my leg is crushed under a 3 ton bus, my testicles are punctured by toothpicks, and my arms are pulled out of their sockets. I would definitely cry in public over that
    ;p

9. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

sam was right when she posted earlier. she wanted to know what you would be crying about. that's the point. even women don't cry for no reason. it all depends on the severity of the cause. if a man cries at a sad movie, i would find it understandable. now if he's still crying after we get home and talk about it, that's a sissy.

HaS...
    my husband says you're a sissy but i think he's just kidding.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Darlin' please add your two cents to the Cats vs Dogs thread.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You have obviously never been owned by a cat.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

False on all accounts.

Experiments have shown that dogs will take a great deal of abuse and still come back to their master; cats will dump a cruel master faster than hot potatoes.

And cats brought up with love can be as faithful as dogs.
    Go through the links I posted in the cats and dogs thread.

The children from Africa would be better helped by abolishing some of the "fair trade" practices imposed on their countries by the countries that give them "aid". And providing a self sustaining economy instead. Please buy some products made in Africa as part of your contribution.

13. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Show me a URL instead. In my experiences with dogs, I've seen owners get their ass bit by the dog after abusing it. Dog's are loyal, so I prefer Dogs as friends. Friends are loyal or they arent friends. Cat's are vampires and their only utility is to catch mice.

I've never really seen a loyal cat, yes cats can be good animals, good pets, but they arent capable of friendship because they don't protect their master, they don't love as much as dogs do. Love is protection, if you love something you protect it, or you don't actually love it you simply lust for it.

I'm with you on trading with Africa. I'd love to buy African products and I'm waiting for the chance to do so, but the free trade system, the way it works, it's just not designed to be "fair", it's based on politics, favors, personal relationships, and all of that. The agenda simply does not include Africa, so adopting African children might be the best option.

When you have children of your own, if you don't already, consider adopting a child from a third world country. If you have a child, you'd give the child a brother or sister who looks different, and in the end it could be a good experience. I'm not saying it will solve the problems of the world but it's better than doing nothing.

14. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Why do you like cats so much? I like animals, but I require loyalty. Loyalty is how you know how much someone or something loves you, the more disloyal it is, the less trust you have, and the less of bond you have.

15. HonorAndStrength I know nothing Registered Senior Member

samcdkey hi

I have owned a dog and 3 cats in my lifetime.

We helped a stray kitten that was under my car in the parking lot years ago, meowing over and over. The kitten turned out to be female and then had babies, which made me take care of 4 more kittens. She had the babies in my backyard and I just can't leave them out there to rain or whatever, so I brought them in to take care of them. Once they were old enough (I had to read a lot about cats), I gave 2 kittens away to relatives but had to keep the other 2. The mother has passed away since, but the 2 kittens are adults now. They were born on June 10, 2005. In my experience with cats, just like all animals, they have different personalities.

For instance, the 2 kittens, one of them is white (female) and the other is black (male).
    I named the black one 'Delta' because he was the fourth and the white one, 'Saddie' because for the first few months, when she was a small kitten, whenever she looked around she looked like she was depressed. Haha. All the time, her eyes were big and looked like she was sad about something, it was cute ;p

Anyway, the black one is loving to me, loves to be around me always. Always tries to get on top of me when they are in the house. The white one however, doesn't have a care in the world. She will never come to me or anyone else unless it's time for food. Then she will come and be affectionate and seek you out. The mother was the same way.
    I love animals, but I don't want cats.

As for dogs, I'm a fan. I love dogs.

16. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

are you sure you aren't confusing loyalty with abject adoration? there is a difference.
    there are tales of cats waking their masters in the night and saving them from CO poisioning. tales of cats traveling across entire countries to be reunited with their owned (anyone who loves cats will get that one

). dogs, as pack animals, are more inclined to be subservient to their masters who are really the alpha dogs. cats, as solitary animals, really only fight for life and when they have to.
    my husband owned a cat he saved from a junkyard. this animal leaped on his leg one day and he thought the cat had gone insane. but when the cat stopped tumbling and seeming to fight and invisible enemy, a brown recluse spider - dead - was hanging out of its mouth. those things are poisonous to the point of disfigurement.
    that sounds like loyalty to me.

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I'm not saying that all cats are disloyal. I'm saying that the majority of cats I've had experience with were. So I'm not interested in having cats as a pet. In truth, the majority of humans I've had experience with are disloyal also and I would rather not be friends with the majority of humans. I hope you see my point, I 'm not a cat person.

I'm a pack animal.

18. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I had a good relationship with my cat. He and I got along very well, were very close, but we had sadomasochistic exchanges. He'd bite me, I'd hit him, then he'd bite me again, then I'd hit him again, then one of us would give up, he'd walk away, and then a few hours later, we'd begin it again.

He was a good cat.

19. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

But as to men crying:

No. It is not permitted to cry in public. It is unmanly to show such emotion. Even in disaster, a man should keep his head. However, in certain cultural contexts, public display of manic grief is acceptable - Mongols would run around their fallen leader mutilating themselves with knives, Jews cry hysterically when a religious leader dies in their community, et cetera, et cetera - and in private or semi-private situations, one can experience sympathetic crying when met with military or generalized heroic sacrifice (few would call a man a sissy for shedding a tear at the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" or other such things) or perhaps a contained sensation of grief at a funeral, specifically when a particularly moving thing occurs. But the display must be limited (the eyes ought to be covered if possible) and it ought to be done as privately as possible. It should not be done to excess, either. If a true outpouring of grief is necessary, it ought to be done in extreme isolation.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Women cry at the drop of a hat. They use is, consciously or unconsciously, as a tool to garner sympathy. It's generally quite effective.

Men can not use crying in this manner. It generates disgust and distain rather than sympathy when a man cries over some trivial thing.

Of course, men can and do cry in extreem circumstances such as the death of a family member. But only in situations where no action is required or possible.

21. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

i totally understand. you see, i'm NOT a pack animal. i suppose your own tendencies dictate what type of animal you like to have. like i said, i prefer animals that will leave me alone when i want to be left alone and cats will do that.

men crying...
    i have to say i would rather die than cry in public but there are times - for others - when it just can't be helped. i suppose this should apply to men too.

22. Kat9Lives Registered Senior Member

i sometimes I have a cry when i have had toooo much to drink..i never remember why....my friends just buy me another drink and apprantly i get over it...
    as for men....sometimes they might just need to get it out in public. i guess it's ok with me as long as it's for a good reason. men have feeling too...right???

23. nubianconcubine ...observing... Registered Senior Member

of course they do.
    that's why they heartlessly convince you that you're the sun in their universe only to turn around and bang your best friend and actually think you're stupid enough to BELIEVE IT WHEN THEY INSIST THAT IT WAS ONLY A MISUNDERSTANDING ALL THEY WERE ACTUALLY DOING WAS PERFORMING A NEW FORM OF CPR BECAUSE SHE'D ACCIDENTALLY SWALLOWED HIS ZIPPER!!!

...but, yes, men have feelings i suppose...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.