Is it ever okay for men to cry in public?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TimeTraveler, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

LOL!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The only time I've ever cried in recent memory is when my cat died. I didn't want to cry (not sure why), but it was too much and I broke down.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Why wouldn't you want to cry when a beloved feline dies??? Really??? Cats are a mainstay, a bulwark in this forsaken world. And dogs are overrated.

Cats: great creatures. Whimsical, independent, great.

Why be ashamed of crying for a cat?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. I've had several cats over the last 20 years, in fact my oldest cat is 18. I would be devastated if anything happened to her.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Excuse me, but dogs are just as worthy of a tear as are cats. Dogs have been our companions and allies far longer than cats. I think. When was the common house cat partially domesticated (as no cat is really fully domesticated the way dogs are)? When was the last time you heard of the faithful cat rescuing his/her master? Um... never?

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It's hard to respect someone who hangs on to your every word and never has an opinion of his own.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Never owned a dog I see. You're missing out on a wealth of complex behavior that a cat could never hope to match.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Owned two, in fact.

11. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Keep em' in a box or something?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Also goats, mice, a tortoise, hens, roosters.

Even roosters are more opinionated than dogs. My grandmother had one for 15 years. Really arrogant.

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Ok. You already know I have sheep, a goat, two cats, two dogs, a bird, and an angora rabbit. Also owned guinea pigs, a snake, the odd trutle or two, and gerbils.

You're talking about simple creatures here. Cats only appear opinionated. It pure aloofness. Cats are aloof because they evolved to be solitary. The don't need and don't have manners or a complex repertoire of social behaviors. Dogs on the other hand have actual opinions on things. Like tolerance for one cat more than the other, play styles, when to try for a dominance ploy over the other dog (even over the smaller members of our human family), opinions on which toys are worthy of attantion, etc... I could go on. The cats are monotonic in this regard. Utterly aloof, shallow, and limited in behavior.

14. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

I think we need a thread for this. I'll start one over in Biology and Genetics. Could be interesting.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Appear opinionated? I must have had more than 10 cats over the last 25 years (about 4 right now, not counting the ones who visit). I've had cats throwing temper tantrums, refusing to eat for days because of an implied slight, cats who fight for attention and are incredibly possessive, cats bringing me weird gifts, cats having babies on my legs when I'm sleeping. Babe, you cannot teach me anything about cats. Believe me when I say, they will accept or reject you only on their own terms and they do not change their minds about who they like or dislike, not easily. And it has no correlation to whether you are the one feeding them or not. If they like you, it's for some deep seated cat reason which you cannot fathom. Of course, they know which side their bread is buttered, but that is totally separate from who they like.

16. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Oh boy. Go over to the new thread. We'll fight there

17. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Of course they are just as worthy, so is any other pet, dog rabbit, hamster, rat, gerbil, etc.
    I think cats were domesticated in ancient Egypt, which would put them far earlier than domestic dogs.

18. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Don't you mean later? As in dogs being domesticated some 12,000+ years ago?

19. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

No they're not.

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Oh brother. Join the fight in the other thread.

21. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Boy have you gotten this right. I have had cats for just as long, but far more of them. Also had dog for that long. Dogs universally love the owner/master/alpha, some very rare exception exist of course. Cats choose who they like, much like humans do. Oddly I have found that when i own a dog and a cat together they get along quite well. Probably becuase the dog knows the cat is part of the pack and the cat knows I am not gonna get rid of a dog so they might as well play nice.

Overall though I have cried at each pets death, also at the end of Armageddon but then again if you aren't drying there you need to go to the psychologist.

22. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Oh, domestication. What exactly does that mean, anyway? How does one define it? Is that where dogs follow the person holding food, entranced and drooling all the way?

Cat attacks burglar:
    http://www.laceyville.com/Aggie/Miracle_Pets.htm

I've seen that show every once in awhile on Animal Planet. One segment had a cat who, if I remember correctly, pestered a mother non-stop until she followed him up the stairs to the baby's room. The baby had a fever, and was immediately taken to a clinic or hospital. The cat knew something was wrong.

Another one involved a woman who was hypoglycemic and the cat would warn her before she was even aware that she was about to have an episode.

Since I've only seen the show a few times, I've probably missed some examples of life-saving feline behavior, but nonetheless, they do exist. And who's to say that just being a companion isn't in itself a lifesaver?

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Sure they are. All animals have their own merits. Unless we're talking about snakes. Never really liked them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.