Is it ever okay for men to cry in public?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by TimeTraveler, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

This thread is to ask a question, to men, but also to feminist or independent "fighter" women who don't want to be protected by men.

Is it ever okay for a man to cry in public, or is it a sissy/bitch move? I think most men believe it is aganist the rules of manhood, however lately a lot of women, usually the independent feminist thinking women, are often the same women who want men to show weakess in public. Is it part of a conspiracy? Do you really want to be rescued by someone who can't stop crying long enough to do the job?

What say you?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why is the man crying?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

So you are saying the context matters? and that it is not a general rule?

Under which situations are crying acceptable?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Well if he's crying because he just realised his socks don't match, there is something wrong.

However, if he's crying for a genuine reason such as grief, happiness, shock or frustration, well it's perfectly understandable. I don't see why men should not have the same freedom to express their emotions as women do.

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

pointless thread, useless discussion, and unscientific.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why cato, did you once cry cos your socks did not match?

10. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

shhhh! you are not supposed to let them know the thread is not really closed!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

thread closed

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Assuming this is the "sad" type of crying, if he gets shot in the nuts or just saw a loved one killed right in front of them.

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

No, it's not ok for anyone(man or woman) to cry in public. Really, anything that you could cry over isn't anyone else's bussiness. So, all you're doing is wasting people's time. But is it ok for men to cry? Yes.

13. Satyr Banned Banned

I tear up in public every time I listen to people talkā€¦..but my tears are of a different sort.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Is there some ethical law against males crying? No.'

The only time I have cried in the open was after about 12-15 shots of vodka. I don't even know why.. it was probably stupid.

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

There's a threshold for everything. There are men crying in the photos of entire families killed by suicide bombers of air attacks in the Mideast. I don't think anyone would call them sissies. At some point you have to say that if a person can experience something and not cry, then there's something wrong with him.

If we live in countries where stuff like that never happens, we should consider ourselves blessed. Yet children die every day from illnesses and in accidents. I hope their fathers are crying. It's dangerous to bottle up that much grief.

Some of you look to me as your elder, so I guess I should say that I have cried in public a number of times and nobody thought I was being a sissy.

16. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

This reminds me of an old comedy show.. Attack of the 50 foot woman, I believe it was. One of the skits was about Nancy Kerrigan getting beat on the leg with a screwdriver. They played it like she was a big crybaby. She got an eyelash in her eye and started to bawl. But what was really funny was when she was at the doctor's office and her parents were asking, "Doctor. Will she ever be able to skate again?" The doctor replied, "She can skate now, it's just a bruise." Nancy started crying, "Why me???? Oh, why????"

As to the thread topic.

No. It's never ok for men to cry in public. Unless his favorite prostitute has been murdered by his least favorite serial killer. Then it's acceptable for a limited time only.

Other than that?
    No.
    No tears for you!

17. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

According to the rules of manhood, that all men know. It's not ever acceptable to cry in public. It's acceptable to cry, as we all have done it, but it's against all rules to show weakness in public.

Do you expect someone who loses their entire family to cry? Hell yes. Do people in this country lose their entire families like in the middle east? Yes, look at the faces of the victims of hurricane Katrina. Does this mean it's good to cry in public? My opniion is no.

Everyone will cry at least once during a funeral, or over a death of a parent. Very few people however will do it in front of their peers. Men will go to a walk and cry. Men will cry late at night or early in the morning when they can't sleep. Men will cry while trying to shave or in the shower. It's simply against the laws of Manhood to show weakness in public and I wanted to get the perspective of the average man.

I was not asking if it's okay for men to cry or not, I was asking if it's okay to do it in public, to let other people know how you feel, to give a public display of weakness. If people cry on TV over the terrorist attacks, doesnt this fuel the terrorists? If you get bullied and you cry, doesnt this fuel the bully?

18. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Exactly. But I don't really think that women should cry in public either.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

The only times I've cried as a grownup in public and not in public has been when I've been crying from happiness. I can't and don't want to restrain myself in such moments.
    That mostly has been in concerts and similar occasions where the music or the show just takes me away.
    Is it ok or not I don't know and don't care about.

20. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Who wrote these Laws of Manhood? Does he/she/it have a name? Were they handed down by Jehovah on a stone platter, like the Ten Commandments? Are these stone tablets preserved in a temple somewhere?

I've heard many rumors, but I've yet to actually see where they are written down, and by whose authority.

Perhaps you have these answers?

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

How do equate letting people know how you feel with weakness?

22. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Oli, it's weakness because no one really cares how anyone else feels generally. The only people who really care, your mother, maybe your best friend, but the majority of the people on planet earth don't care about you or how you feel. The world is cold and ruthless, and only a select group of people care about strangers, the majority either does not care, or hates you. The goal for you, is to find/meet the select few who care about you.

It's a jungle, if you show weakness you get attacked. Look at prison, the rules of prison mirror the rules of the outside world. In prison if you cry, you get labeled a "bitch" and you lose respect points. Crying is consider a show of weakness, and weakness is hated by the majority. Look at everyone on earth that is treated like crap, and then notice they all have some sorta weakness to attract that treatment.

If you want to know the laws of manhood, ask a man. If you don't have a man to ask, observe the rules of the street and the rules of prison.

1. Don't be a snitch

2. Keep your word

3. Don't cry or show weakness

4. Maintain a good yet strong image.

These are just 4, there are hundreds of rules for all sorts of possible situations, such as how to go through a divorce, how to be a good father, how to be responsible, how to deal with women, the rules of dating, all that stuff that your father told you, and his father told him.

23. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Maybe he's referring to these Rules of Manhood that we're supposed to be adhering to?

Though who wrote them is anyone's guess, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.