Is God Rational?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I have told this story here but I will repeat it...a neighbour years ago told me how he realised there was a God when looking at a tree and arrived at the unsupported conclusion that only God could be responsible.

He went religiously crazy unfortunately ...and his poor wife stood by him but clearly she knew he had lost the plot. Motivation ..he wanted to go to heaven but created a hell on Earth for family and friend..so sad and not uncommon.

Lucky he didnt stone me when I mowed the grass on Sundays...well bless my soul and thank God he was a hypocrite.

Typical rat bag.

For a theists everything is proof of God and for an atheist everything is proof there is no God.

I have a great business idea..sell flat bread with a Jesus image burnt in...easy to do technically...could you place a photo of the pope on the bag or is he copywrited?

I did watch some evangalist pushing his " manna from heaven" flat bread so my idea is not entirely original.

Alex

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

If you lose sight of that little gem contact with other humans would be a pain.

My mate into the big foot I have know for fifty plus years and so I feel like I need to show him its a con job just like religion but he has embraced bigfoot and houses him in his reality...no need to offend him by saying he is the victim of a con just like religion.
    The other guy, the car guy, started into how we could not be descended from apes...So I thought about my observation about individual realities and moved the conversation back to bigfoot.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Why do they consider coming from apes worse than coming from dirt???

<>

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Now that is a wonderful observation one that I have never thought about.

Probably not just dirt but God type modeling clay..I must ask at the art store for some...with a straight face..."I would like some God clay please ..yes God clay..that stuff you use to build little humans"

After I accept the normal clay I would buy I can then ask if I could have half a dozen rib bones.☺"

I do hope the car guy calls again as I may restart the conversation that I avoided.

I may run my just made up version of evolution...

"Did you now "they" have worked out evolution runs in reverse.

"Yes "they" have now complted a fifty year study and they show stupid peoples offspring evolve into monkeys."

"You know how less and less people are religious these days...well thats the reason ... eventually the religious families disappear becoming monkeys."

When one day I buy that pointy red hat that I have promised myself I think a youtube video presenting this new reasearch should be produced.

Although a good reason not to would be the sad fact that even such a stupid notion will find a following.

Still as crazy as that idea may be it is still more plausible than a universe creating God being interested in humans making humans with modeling clay or as you call it dirt.
    The vatican has probably had many discussions whether it was dirt or clay to avoid a touchy subject that could have split the flock...could be worse than another church of England arising. God forbid.

There is only one thing that sometimes makes me believe there is a God ...and its not a tree..its a cat☺...or are they indeed God...now a cat is really God like except for that licking their bottom...or maybe they are right on that one.
    Toilet paper is probably the work of Satan.
    Alex

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Nope

A dog is god. It's just when he changed form he became dyslexic

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Every time someone asks whether I believe I came from apes, I ask "Do you believe you came from dirt?".

<>

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You probably missed my major edit where I toned down my harsh approach.

Anyways how do you explain that girls have one less rib than boys ...that is absolute proof of God creating humans.

Alex

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

AND...

Talking in tounges should not be looked down upon as silly after all they make just as much sence talking in tounges as they do in English or any other language where at least one person including the speaker that understands what is being said.

Mmmm when next at the super market I may make my enquiries by "talking in tounges"...

Religion is such a joke and the believer is the guy who gets the pie in the face☺

However dont get me wrong I respect their beliefs.
    Alex

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

You do know that God created girls first

The first model had 3 breast across

When god ask her what she thought about her body and Eden she said

"About the body. The middle breast gets in the way a bit when I'm exercising. Can you remove it please?"

He did throwing it into the bushes

"And Eden?"

"Bit lonely"

"Ummmm let's make you a companion. Let's find that useless tit"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    I do not respect their beliefs. Their beliefs do not deserve respect.

<>

14. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Sorry I was still talking about cats☺

Actually I was having a shot at this fall back "oh thats my faith" thing really...faith or belief we must respect as a no go area...such a cop out and should be called out whenever it is run out as an excuse for stupidity.
    Faith is mere opinion and should not be allowed to end sensible discussion...

God loves us blah blah.
    Let me question that...
    No no you cant do that..that my faith..all quiet all stupid and the lies and made up nonsence does not get the airing it should have to provoke sensible conversation on a subject devoid of sence.

Alex

15. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Are there any books, websites, or apps out there that have debunked bible stories or religion in general?

16. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

What has mystified my about spirituality and religion is when people are faced with facts that contradict what they believe they still hold on to those beliefs and search for alternate explanations. Maybe it is paranoia of God's anger burning against them that motivates them.

17. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

I wonder if believing in God because faith in him gives you positive emotions and peace of mind makes spirituality or religion rational?

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I dont know that an arguement that suggests being irrational leads to a rational outcome sits well with me however you make a reasonable point.

Humans demand an answer.

Present a proposition to your friends and as soon as you are finished they weigh in with their opinion even if they have only then been introduced to the subject.

Ask how something happened and rarely will you get "I dont know" which is probably the most appropriate answer, but you get their opinion on what may have happened, then if you suggest a different answer you find they change from supporting an opinion to assuming their answer is fact.

So early humans asked "how did the world get here" and from there the opinions flowed and the bank of facts grow...pity they did not say "we dont know so lets avoid making up stuff that just pops into our heads".

Religion is satisfying for many because they have answers to their questions and certainly for religious folk they now never have to say they dont know.

So what happens when you die...let us now make up crap and treat it as fact...so contentment swells as the made up becomes the real answer.

So now they want an answer they have a book of facts...well you need to be able to interprete the bible to get your facts...what about this story in there...oh its not a fact but a metaphoric lesson...so how good could it be to arm yourself with a book that will stand any version of facts you want it to produce.

I dont feel uncomfortable to admit I dont know this or that and somewhat proud that I dont fall for made up stuff simply because it is in a book...I like to think for myself and confront the real possibility that I dont know and may never know...
    If you want a moral code and must look in a book I guess that must be good for folk who cant work out for themselves what may or may not be wrong.

But if one is kind and patient decent morals become apparent and there is no need to look to the bronze age for direction...and then have to work out that perhaps mowing the lawn on Sunday is hardley something that should see one committing murder.

One may as well use a block of wood as moral authority...oh block of wood should I kill anyone...the block of wood will put a noble thought in your head...no dont kill anyone as that would be unkind.

Oh you most wonderful and wise block of wood.

But humans are often weak and need more than they can muster from their own thoughts and so for those who cant manage thinking religion may work for them.
    Alex

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Of course there will be ...just look...and if there are none start one up and prepare to become a millionaire.

Alex

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

///
    Having peace of mind believing most people will suffer horribly for eternity for not having the correct belief is not rational.

<>

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

23. mmatt9876 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the info on atheism guys! I have a lot to think about, reread, and consider.