Is God omnipotent ?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Plato, May 25, 1999.

1. Sirius B Guest

Flash,

All is forgiven, I had a "less than productive" day and came to the message board to escape. Only to find that I had offended someone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Please don't take a break, I really enjoy reading your posts!

[This message has been edited by Sirius B (edited May 28, 1999).]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. H-kon Guest

Lori

I read your post, and i also remember that you in another post said that you respected others opinions, but i feel that last post of yours was more of a personal attack on General.. I just had to say that.

But i also agree with you in a way when you say that those 144.000 that gets to level 2, will come back when everything is gone.. but i dont think they will come back here just to preach the word to the few remaining survivors,

If you look at the way we are doing things today, almost nothing is done organic.. we are doing everything synthetic, to make it cheaper, and its all is with a side-effect that is starting to alter ones genetics..so i believe we are going to learn the way of making things good again. but not in the name og God.

i think they will teach us to do things right, and i honestly dont think that if you are a member of one religious denominaton, you will be one of the chosen ones, and those who are not, but believe in God in their own way, will not. that is arrogant just to believe that, and that means to me that if you have the brand "Christian" on you, you are a better person than other, because according to the brand you are supposed to know better than everyone else.

I treat all religion as the same. .neither is wrong, and neither is right. that is why i mean that the truth is subjective in the form that what you believe is right for you, doesnt mean that if i had another way of thinking , and believed that was the truth, doesnt make that wrong, and besides. no one can prove it. no one can prove nothing, so your guess is as good as mine.
    I know i am an "outsider" in many ways.. I havent read the bible, because the original meaning of the book is gone.. it has been tranlsated, and re-translated, and the old catholics have rewritten the book so many times, to gain control over so many people and also in the name of Mammon( money) , that i simply cant trust the word in there, because humans have been screwing it up since the dawn of the book.

I believe in God, but the way it is been percieved at the moment, is nothing that i can belive in.. so fit me into a category, cause i am not buying it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori,
    So I tested your knowledge on the bible and I made a fool of you, so what. You wish to attack then I shall merely defend. If you own a bible throw it away because you lack the heart for its content.
    I do not profess to know everything and my belief in a god is more negative than anyone, I am merely putting across information that I know exists in the bible and I am trying to help H-Kon understand what it all means. I can not be negative on everything, I have my own views on the bible and it is not what the christians told me.
    I am truly amazed at your lack of respect for any suggestion than your own. Just because you don't fall under the banner of a loyal subject of god you become highly-strung. It is people like you who are blind, I merely ignore the existance of a god. You spit out your putrid bullshit and you don't even know the content of the book you are quick to preach excerts about, all you know is genesis and revelation, someone steal the middle bit to your bible?
    You have spawned determination and I shall obtain this book and I shall seek the words that I have spoke so that you can read these extracts and find out for yourself what this book says. You must remember, I did not write it other people did so do not attack someone for stating what other people have written about. I asked the same questions H-Kon asked and I got the answers and they were shown to me in black and white, I am not brain-washed just because I remembered the answers.
    You have proven one thing to me, Lori, you have given the same typical response the rest of the population has given in response to the bible you profess so much to believe in.
    I opened my mind to try to understand a book and now I do understand its content but it does not change my views, I still believe the bible was influenced by extraterrestrials.
    Tell me, whats wrong with giving the other sides view for a change?
    And one other thing which you small mind failed to pick up. These christians believe in the bibles concept of everlasting life that is the purpose of their adherence to the bible, to live forever. What is written in the bible is not a brain-washed problem of mine. I would only be considered brain-washed if I actually became a christian and that I shall never be because I refuse to bow to any diety.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Flash Guest

Gen... I have not had a f'n lot of sleep..
    so if I seem rude or a bitc* .. well

Ease up on Lori..alright?? I know we all
    have our different opinions and beliefs..
    ect... but one thing I do know about Lori
    is she has heart... so the two of you differ
    in what you believe...big deal..that shit
    happens all the time... I know I know...I
    get all bent out of shape too sometimes.. I
    guess what I am saying is I have met A LOT of
    christians through out my life... Lori, is not like a lot of christians ... She has spunk,
    yeah... you too stand by what you believe in.. Do you not think it might be better to
    state how you feel ...let it go... don't let
    people get to you man... You are trying to
    teach H-Kon..what you believe to be true..
    Lori is trying to share with others as what
    she believes to be true also. I guess what
    I am trying to say... is Lori is a good person... give her a chance. That doesn't
    mean you have to believe what she says..yeah
    I know... you feel attacked... but she does
    know her shit also..I am not saying that she
    is right and you are wrong...I am just saying
    she has spent a lot of time searching and
    learning from her sources..just like you.
    I maybe wrong here, but I do not think so..
    I think she has read more than just Gen and Rev..ok? I do not know about you..but I am
    getting tired of fighting with people in this
    forum... maybe its time to put the swords down..learn what we can...what we do not agree with- toss it aside. Ya know?

8. Flash Guest

Sirius B,
    Hey.. I was not offended... those questions
    I was asking were, believe it or not LMAO..
    sincere.
    I am going to try to behave from here on out... sometimes I let my anger get the
    best of me...and in the end.. I now see that what I had said to you hurt you, that is not what I wanted to do. I am sorry for that..I
    really am. I do not want to hurt anyone.

9. Flash and Lori,
    Very well, I apologise for my insolence, I do not wish to make a war of this, so I lay down my arms. This is a forum after all.
    In future I shall use caution as to how I reply to any subject matter.

10. Lori Guest

Hello? You didn't make a fool out of me because I failed the quiz, you made a fool out of me by spewing that Jehovah's witness shit like it's the true word of the Bible, you arrogant sob! YOU are the one that said that we aren't going to heaven, right? Were you being sarcastic, or judgemental? Make up your f'ing mind. You are here to slam Christianity just because YOU SIR were stupid enough to let yourself be taken by a bunch of fools for two years. Listen, I'm glad that you changed your mind, and decided not to take their word as the truth, but coming out here, and slamming all Christians, including me, is not an answer. You sound very stupid and close-minded. Get over yourself, general, and you may just learn something new. Because what you have been told about the Bible is a bunch of bs.

11. Flash Guest

[This message has been edited by Flash (edited May 30, 1999).]

12. If I sound stupid and close minded try listening to yourself. You are a fine subject of narrow-mindedness, and before you have another go at me I shall call myself narrow-minded too, so do me a favour and bury the hatchet.

13. H-Kon.
    The best way to find the answers is to look in the bible itself.
    Revelation, chapter 20 tells of what has happened after armageddon and how satan is released back on the earth.
    Matthew, chap27, verse 37 mentions the king of the jews, work it out, that way I don't get criticised.
    Revelation, chap7, ver4 about the hundred and forty-four thousand.

14. H-kon Guest

To both Lori and General.

In a way it is good to know that you both are really devoted to your belief as I am , and i agree with Flash that we should lay our arms down, and try to do this a little calmer.

The thing here is that no one really knows anything about what it all means.. we all have our opinions, and who knows whos right?

That is why i say that the truth is subjective. its what fits our individual minds that we "decide" to believe in.

One humorous thing i have been thinking about.. I wonder if there is someone here that can combine all of our beliefs here, and make it as one.. that would be fun to read.

But i appreciate that you all, not only Lori, and General are so devoted to this.,. this is what i believe is the reason i come to this site 100 times a day to read your stuff..

General,.I am gonna check that info out.. thank you

15. Sirius B Guest

Flash,

Take care man, whatever you are dealing with in your life (right now) will pass eventually. I really do enjoy reading your posts and I don't think you need to change anything about yourself to make it easier for people like myself. Changing who you are or what you stand for just to appease others is never a good thing (in the long run).

Even though I haven't been posting here as long as most of you guys have, I have a feeling that you will "handle" whatever it is (in your life) that is making things uncomfortable for you. Be strong Ma-man!

We shall talk again.

16. H-Kon,
    Another one here for you.
    Matthew Chap 27, vers 29, how christ is mocked, he is the son of god not the king of the jews.

To Flash,
    You are what you are.
    Because I don't conform my relationships fail, so, who gives a shit.
    What I mean is-you are an individual and people should look at you as you are not try to make you something they want you to be, that's what I told my estranged wife anyway.

17. Lori Guest

Fine, general, arms are laid down. By the way, were you just swearing? lol It's funny to me that one day I get bitched at for being too close-minded, and the next day I get bitched at for being too open-minded. Would anyone else like to judge Lori??? (Now I sound like Bob Dole, lol!) Let me explain why I reacted so vehemently regarding your Jew-hova bull-shit spewing...I've been posting out here for quite some time, and yes, I am a Christian whether you would like to think so or not. I've taken an OVERWHELMING amount of crap from non-believers because of the superiority-complex, judgementalism, power-hungered, exclusivity-minded bullshit that has transcended from Christianity over the ages, and still is today. And you coming out here, sharing the perverted tales of "the chosen few" with everyone, is not helping anything or anyone. I could not tell at first if you were believing and perpetuating the BS, or making fun of it. I still don't quite know where you stand. This is where I'm at...I think that it's safe to say that there is ultimately only one truth. None of us, out here at least, know what that one truth is. I believe that the Bible is Divine and true, and the absolute final word regarding our "missions in life". We have not been able to successfully interpret this piece of work, with the main reason being our own egos, which Satan has been feeding upon for centuries upon centuries. I don't feel, though, that we should just throw this great and Divine work away, just because man's nature is to look at it through jaded eyes. I see no purpose in denomonationalism. It may be a funny thought, H-kon, but let's not sell ourselves short, shall we? Maybe we all CAN figure this truth out if we keep open minds, and keep praying.

18. Lori,
    Perhaps judging people is one of our flaws, especially when we do not really know each.
    Firstly, I apologise for coming across offensively to you at any time and secondly, please stay open minded.
    On religion I stand divided and probably always will, it seems to be a fight from within. Even though I learnt many things about the bible and believe the bible has a great influence over us I always come across a contradiction somewhere down the line and the war in my head starts all over again.
    I do not mean to patronize anyone and hope you can forgive me for my interpretations, perhaps, one day, the scriptures will become clear to everyone, and then again perhaps not, the division in me will be eternal, that is why I swear and do other bad things, because I will not return to earth. Perhaps in death I shall find peace from this world of chaos.
    Inside, I still have a million questions that will go unanswered.
    If there is only one creator, why has he left us to continue on this path of destruction that we are falling into, he could stop it now. Why has he left satan to lead so many into an oblivious destiny of blindness, feeding on anger, hatred, envy and greed. How long will he prolong the wars of religion and ruling of dictatorships.
    Divided I stand, divided I shall fall.

P.S.
    Psalms. Chapter 83, verse 18 gives out god's name that is why I used it. Everything has a name, god does too.

19. Lori Guest

general,

Maybe we are more alike than we think. Chaulk it up to a huge learning experience, and try not to be so hard on yourself. Don't forget about how much the Bible concentrates on the concept of forgiveness. It's more important than judgement, I think. Then again, no judgement, no need for forgiveness, huh? Still, as far as your questioning goes, I've been there too, and probably am still to varying degrees. I've come to a conclusion though, that life is definately a learning experience, it just seems that a lot of times we're not quite sure what it is that we're supposed to be learning, right? Other times, though, when you see war, and children being abused, and abortion clinic bombings, and racism, and kids being massacred at school, well, it seems kind of obvious doesn't it? The concept is simple generally, the debate lies in the details.

20. Bev Guest

I agree with Lori. In the garden a choice was made, from that point on God allowed us to make our own choices. It is all about the choices we make, choices that hold consequences. We can choose to believe or not believe in God, as well.

As far as whether or not free will existed before creation, it did. Lucifer exercised his free will.

I know that this really doesn't completely answer your question, but I don't think your question can be answered now. I do think that one day you will have all your answers.

When I think about Gods omnipotence, I think of a parent allowing their child to make mistakes so that they can learn from those mistakes and grow to be a responsible adult. It isn't easy to see your child make mistakes that can be painful, but out of love you do this for them. And of course, there are times as a parent where you have to intervene for your childs safety, as well, done out of love. I believe God and his angels do this regularly.

Oh, My beliefs are based on faith and his presence in my own life.

Have a nice day! Bev

21. H-kon Guest

Hi again people..
    I have been away for a while installing BeOS R4 on my 'puter. So now i am gonna start reading all those posts and reply if i have a thing to say.

General.. i havent read it yet, but i will as soon i as can find some time.

22. H-kon Guest

Hi again people..
    I have been away for a while installing BeOS R4 on my 'puter. So now i am gonna start reading all those posts and reply if i have a thing to say.

General.. i havent read it yet, but i will as soon i as can find some time.

23. Mock Guest

To All
    Coming in late here.Left of centre.Would an omnipotent God create beings who question him ? He did. Why ?