Is faith a reliable path to knowledge?

Discussion in 'Comparative Religion' started by James R, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

My quote is not good enough for you?

Ooops, why does the sin Pride (vanity) come to mind?..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Are you really Walking the Talk...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No I don't, if you don't understand what I am saying then it's off limits to you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What part of ''You'd need to go into more detail, so I can see what you mean by them'' don't you understand?

Seeing as you don't want to elaborate further, I will consider it a secret. So yes, secrets are off limits to anyone, unless they are in on them.

jan.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm just itching to know.

Jan.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just don't scratch it, you might get infected.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

As always George Carlin explained these "profound" questions best;

10. FU2 and then sum it up Registered Member

Sanctity of life is an inherent concept of the majority of the human population. Most will cringe at the idea of killing or seeing death. It is instilled in us as a preservation tactic. Both preservation of our species, and the preservation of our environment (the chain of the natural world (creatures other than human)). (In preservation of environment there is preservation of species)

I don't think we humans fit into the natural order of this planet. We are the Apex. (Naturally or unnaturally I am not sure) It is a theory that I do not believe, but consider, that we were installed on this planet by another intelligence. Be it a non-corporeal being or another intelligent and inquisitive race I am not certain.

If there is a creator he instilled this quality, the sanctity of life, for our longevity.

If no creator, then it is instilled via evolution for preservation.

Though we are in the decline of the Heath of our planet, the human race has had its fruitfulness.

I don't believe in an entity known as god or etc. BUT I do feel that there is more than what our perceptions present to us. I do believe in dimensions that are locked away do to the limitations of our perceptions and senses. There may be a 6th sense that we can never truly envelop, and there may be realms beyond.
    I don't believe in an afterlife, but one could very well exist in a realm we can only glimpse of in our living existence.

I am slightly nihilistic and completely agnostic. I don't have faith that there isn't a god, as much as the contrary.

Life be with you. Live it with as much fullness as could be.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  11. FU2 and then sum it up Registered Member

I think that versatile knowledge is developed completely separate from faith. A lot of stupidity, and I don't even mean minor things, come from being bound to a belief. Wars. Prejudicial hate.
    "Imagine" lennon

12. FU2 and then sum it up Registered Member

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You mean, the sanctity of life is an inherent concept of the majority of the living population. Self-interest.

Nature doesn't care about life or death, it just deals in changing form of expression. As Carlin said; "if everything that ever lived is dead and everything that is alive now, will die, where's the sanctity of life"?

Actually we do have an immortal species of jellyfish. They can be killed, but if nor fatally wounded they can regenerate forever.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turritopsis_dohrnii
    Pretty neat.

14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Other species include the slime mold and in the metamorphosis of the caterpillar into a butterfly.

15. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I've always felt that life was more than simply living and dying, that there was a spiritual element. Maybe that is where faith comes from--you know it is there but you can't quite put your finger on it.

It depends on how you define evidence. What I might consider evidence you might consider consequential. Also, when does faith become conviction?

I think it is a personal experience, much like an ah-ha moment. Not something that can be package and passed to others easily, though many have tried.

Not in the past.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Confirmation Bias results in Empathy, the ability to see from another's perspective. The ability to share the same emotional experience is a remarkable ability of humans, but to a greater or lesser degree in all animals, whaterver it takes to survive and mate.

I also confirms and enforces your perspective of reality as well. Unfortunately this confirmation bias is a double edged sword which, if you live in Empathy, can lead to a vibrant inventive a varied symbiotic species, or in the absence of Emapthy can lead to a mutually destructive relationship and war by the Tulpas of Apathy, Antagony, or Apostacy.

These are abstract concepts and really can only be practiced in the abstract world of mysticism, where the Demonic Concepts of Approval and Confirmation (flattery) are very powerful Tulpas with great power of Persuasion and Temptation.

But with help of the Angels of Objectivety, Consideration, and Wisdom, we might attain a meaningful life.

What did I just say? Does it have any meaning? Does anyone care? Do I care? ....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  17. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

You did quite well.

18. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Some idea about above questions can be available in "Sp ritual Terms defined?" thread posted by me in Religion sub-forum.

19. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Faith is usually defined as belief in the absence of evidence.

To the extent that the above definition applies, it cannot be a reliable path to knowledge.

20. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

True faith should be reliable path to knowledge like children keep true faith in their mother and learn a lot.

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Of course it should be but there is no reason that faith is reliable even when you have built this faith using knowledge gained from those who should know and really do wish to guide you as best they can well intentioned and very much with good intention by passing on their faith and demonstrations of how that faith has been of benefit for them so for them it is a precious gift but you must look in other places for what may be other input that may further help but the key is perhaps be prepared to consider things that you may never have considered until now which as a pay off for you may take you past where all those who helped in fostering your development and growth and well no doubt but I am not entirely sure but I would say I am sure you know what I am driving at is probably now somewhat apparent and you may or even say yes well that had crossed my mind but it is only now by having someone on the outside of my life and thoughts look in to help distil various thoughts but as I said you have possibly considered similar.
    Alex

22. KUMAR5 Valued Senior Member

Yes but while judging a true faith, selfish interests & lies are not counted. Those are just seen. We do not count selfish interests & lies in mother-child relationship.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Well, it isn't.