Is Everything Predetermined?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Reiku, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reiku Banned Banned

Good points - something i may not have actually defined properly.

''To clearly see this is the case, start with fact that the particles can not think, follow the same four steps, and then conclude that thinking is impossible, does not exist.''

I think that perhaps this might not have so much to do with treating singular particles with thought, but treating them one of two ways.

1. Is that particles are on a set course. If this is true, the field guiding them (the quantum potential) will contain the information necessery for thought, as thought could be pin-pointed down as a materialistic phenomena.

2. That particles, are a collective species. They must be in large families to even produce anything close to the 'so-called' independantly-thinking states.

''The very nature of evolution is that it can and does produce more complex things (by "trial and error") from more simple things. Your agrument does not exclude the possibility that evolution as produced both "thought" or "free will."

despite this observation I again state that I tend to think genuine free will does not exist, but (1b) and my essay's discussion show that it is at least possible (can be consistent with nature's physical rules) that it may''

I'm glad you're on my wavelength Billy.

Reiku

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

Well over my head.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Reiku Banned Banned

''Well over my head.''

Oops... I never meant that.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

I would like to note that free-will is real to the observer. It may not be real in the technical sense.

8. Tnerb Banned Banned

lol
    Well.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

What can I say. It's over my head that is for sure.

I am simply waiting on a good debate. Apparently, all of the issues dealing with free will are too complex :/

9. Reiku Banned Banned

They don't need to be over your head. Perhaps it was the way i was explaining my axioms. Can you tell me what was it that flew over your head - because i was kinda going for straight-forward answers...?

10. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Gee, isn't it obvious that you can't tell if you've moved your hand according to your own free will or some resident "algorithm", existence of which is well beyond your comprehension/perception, made you to move it?

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

Ok. I'll explain...

It was simply the complex things of Billy T and this whole physics perspective thing. I don't agree with that...
    Remember, I am a mindless twit. But I have some important information to present. Or some clarificationing of what is happening. That seems to be my speciality. I am just looking for some answers that are short and not too long. Sometimes I don't like reading about some things.

12. Tnerb Banned Banned

That my friend is simply the answer given by the Baron Max.
    Free will is as has been said numerous times, something certain to the observer but not to the universality of it. This raises a important question.

I would suggest reading existentialism is a humanism.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

''Sometimes I don't like reading about some things.''

Because they are counterintuitive to your initial beliefs?

''Gee, isn't it obvious that you can't tell if you've moved your hand according to your own free will or some resident "algorithm", existence of which is well beyond your comprehension/perception, made you to move it?''

Hole in one.

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

Whatever.
    Enjoy your debate.
    Hope you get some answers.
    Doubt it.

15. Reiku Banned Banned

Existabrent

Sorry, that was a real question. Did i sound out of order or something?

16. Tnerb Banned Banned

Yeah.
    Also it wasn't true.
    I don't want to read about universals or physics or anything.

17. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

Decreasing the level of highmindness of discussion, I'd like to comment that most (if not absolute majority) of humans desire predetermined universe. Astrology, all kinds of mind/card/intestine readings are alive and well. Humans just don't want to be alone in the empty, cold, uncertain universe. It's too scary, it's too pointless. Baby Jesus, for example, guiding your life is much more comforting, you are not alone in the cold, somebody gives a dime, etc.. Thus, human desires are indirect demonstration of the fact that Universe is indeed cold, distant, meaningless, uncertain, giving no dime about you or a fly. In other words, free will is real.

18. Reiku Banned Banned

''Yeah.
    Also it wasn't true.
    I don't want to read about universals or physics or anything.''

If you don't understand what i said, then you are now clutching at straws. I never meant to offend you, but if we are going to ''scientifically talk'' about the nature of free-will, we should see it in more of an open light, not some dogmatic, and perhaps even narrow veiw totally dependant on epistemological or metaphysical viewpoint.

Reiku

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

You are mis understanding me.

No, I don't want to read or, that is why i do not understand what you said- physics and science and whatnot.

I am not dogmatic. And if you want to see it in light then you would bring good points to the discussion. Of course this is exactly the narrow view you are talking about. I don't see any though. There are better points in better threads.

20. Reiku Banned Banned

I never said you personally where dogmatic. I was leading to a simple analogy of a discussion without science. Not you personally, again.

''You are mis understanding me.

No, I don't want to read or, that is why i do not understand what you said- physics and science and whatnot.''

You're right, i am misunderstanding you. And i still am. Can you tell me more clearly what you mean...?
    What i seem to gather, is that my posts are not to your suiting...?

21. Tnerb Banned Banned

This whole thread isn't.

22. Reiku Banned Banned

Then why are you here?

You know, i find it pretty strange right, that someone who doesn't like phsyics, would come into a science thread, and declair his dislike for a certain type of work, ''because it isn't to his/her liking...'' ;-/

23. Tnerb Banned Banned

Please.
    Where is the evidence

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.