Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Compared to most other species will kill far less of our own kind.
    Well, that's why we have been steadily cutting emissions back...
    Unlike the dinosaurs we actually have a chance of defending ourselves from several types of disaster. The only real threat of us completely destroying ourselves is from advanced germ warfare (which probably exists). Everything else is basically too distributed to kill a majority of the population. Hell, even germ warfare is unlikely to kill everybody.

And if you are going to dispute what I say, at least try and back it up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

LOL. Okay crazymikey, you got me. We're DOOMED!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and we should all get a interspecies transform surgury so we can impress you.

You don't see how you just paved over the entire species with your negative attitude and lame analysis?

Tell me, in your analysis, have you accounted for AI, nanotech, quantum computing, or well, a gazillion unknowns that you couldn't possibly account for?

You did?

Impressive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

I think this is hi-jacking this thread. Maybe, we should have this discussion somewhere else.

Actually, we kill, much of our kind(holocausts, wars, nuclear weapons, murders, crimes, genocides) and we kill all other species(entertainment, research, food, clothes, other) we are the most dangerous and violent species on Earth. So dangerous, that we could kill our own planet.

What makes humans different from other animals, is that humans call themselves "intelligent" and "civilised" There is nothing "intelligent" and "civilized" about what they do however.

Not steadily enough. The threat of global warming, and the depletion of the ozone layer is a real threat, that is being ignored today too. We are not doing much about it, yet if we want, we have the capacity to end it.

As we've been discussing, who knows if the dinosaurs were intelligent, we have no way of knowing. Nonetheless, the dinosaurs existed for 150 million years. Homosapiens have existed for 10,000 years, and they already on the way, to not only destroying themselves, but the animals and the planet. In terms of our role in the biosphere of Earth, we are nothing more than a virus that threatens to kill her. So I'll give you some credit; we are succesfull as a virus.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

I would tell you, none of those technologies are our own, but let's not get into that. Rather, I would like to tell you, being succesfull or advanced, is not about technology, and especially in the case of humanity, where technology is nothing more than a currency for power. It's actually superficial. Real advacement, It is about maintaining harmony, helping nature and other life along, enjoying one another, helping one another, making life beautiful, enjoying the spiritual essense of the your consciousness and the universe. Rather than making it a curse. Instead we have done the complete opposite, and yet, are proud of it. Sickening.

8. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Lol... didn't think you'd adress my points. Classic. Basically you just said, 'we can defend ourselves, but we litter, and litter is bad'.

9. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

Persol, I don't think I'll ever address your points

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Wow... did we just agree?

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I've always loved the idea that dolphins (or some species of dolphins, anyhow) possess mental faculties equal to our own. People have believed that for so long, it's become dogma.

Unfortunately, decades of effort have failed to decode "dolphinese" clicks, grunts and whistles as a complex language. There is information involved, but perhaps mostly no more original or intellectually complex than birdsong.

Your statement echoes The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy: that humans think themselves more intelligent than dolphins, because we have developed art and technology and come to dominate the world while all the dolphins do is play around in the sea having a good time.

For the exact same reason, however, dolphins considered themselves more intelligent than humans...

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I don't think dolphins really care that much whether or not they are more in intelligent than humans.......I think dolphins live happily in a world of their own and a far more tolerant of humans than humans are of dolphins.........

Atta Boy

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

The majority of ET intelligence in the Universe could be more like dolphins than us: non-technological, and perfectly content with their natural state of being!

14. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

Starthane, if the dolphins were to set foot on land again, can you imagine how intelligent they could become, as they evolved into a technological species?

If it is true, they are more intelligent than us, then theoretically speaking, their technological evolution would be far more faster than our own, maybe hundreds of times faster.

15. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

No. Once again you are assuming that intelligence means technological advancements. You're also assuming that only land dwellers can have technology. Both are unfounded.

16. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's possible that dolphins in their evolution was no need to move to the land, instead, they are just as happy to live in the sea.......Dolphins can out-swim and out-think their preditors and compeditors................For what reason would they want to move to the land???

Atta Boy

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

It's certainly conceivable that intelligent marine or acquatic creatures - if they had a good set of manipulative limbs, unlike the dolphins - could also come ashore temporarily, as seals and crabs do. They might spend most of their time in the water and still develop technology, if they had access to land for the use of fire and tool-making.

Or maybe, the route to high technology which mankind has taken is not the most common one. Purely marine aliens, perhaps dwelling on planets with no land at all, may nonetheless possess technology far ahead of ours, and vastly different.

18. Faulty Ragged Rascal Registered Senior Member

I wonder how you arrive at the conclusion that dolphins are more perceptive than people.

Everyone loves dolphins and it's such a cliche. As marine species go, they're pretty smart, but "THE TRULY INTELLIGENT SPECIES ON EARTH"?!

Did you know that male dolphins sometimes gang rape female dolphins?

19. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Yeah, I don't quite get this either. Octopuses seem to be more intelligent... yet dolphins get all the credit. I can't help to think that it has more to do with appearance and realtive 'friendliness'.

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

LOL.. Faulty that's a good point. "they're always happy"

How would you know? LOL.

*imagines little dolphin fun-meters strapped to dolphin heads in the wild*

Hm....

21. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

Isn't your wife happy when she makes little squaky noises?

22. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

What does an "unhappy" dolphin look and sound like???

Atta Boy

23. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

tuna fish.