Is ET Out There?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Norman, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I disagree with your reason of why it is a bad idea, and feel that it would be possible mentally. It's the science behind it that causes the problems.

A couple of years in an enclosed space with nothing but a few board game with 5 other people can do wonders to you mind.

Quick definition of quintessence:
    It's a dark energy/matter which fills up about 2/3 of the space. This dark matter is the cause of the exceleration of the Universe. This was discovered aboue 2 years ago. It's considered an "opposite" of gravity since it repulses or acts as a negative towards gravity. If we use this we can allow objects to gain speed in space with the use of gravity.

it's something similar to this. Im not a professor on such a subject.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

I believe that any "alien" signals we get are going to get in the future are just going to be sounds waves projected from people on earth being rebounded and sent back towards earth by distant planets. While we think we are being contacted by aliens, it can simply be the sound of some kind taking a shit in the bathroom around 200 years ago.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's always going to be a question of whether or not we're going to recieve first, intelligent alien signals from deep space or a friendly earthly visit by intelligent aliens in a spaceship....It's doubtful that any intelligent ET's out there would want to risk their own lives or let alone their spaceship to land here.....For if they did, their spaceship would first be impounded by the government, inspected, stripped down and then torn apart into pieces for it's advanced technology........Then the aliens who landed here would be subjected to hundreds of medical tests and physicals and interregated endlessly by government special agents in the name of science and national security and last but not least, kept in isolation and secrecy for years and "not" be allowed to return back to their planet (nothing left of their spaceship) and there would be nothing we or any human rights groups could do about it for the simple reason that the aliens would probably not be considered human......and not qualified for human rights........Right? Right!!!

Atta Boy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

This clearly calls for a broadening of the Universal 'Human' rights extending to 'all' intelligent species,...

Problem solved,...oh wait a minute: Japan is still eating dolphins,...and chinese still eat dogs,...ect

Uhmmm,....they are monsters

8. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

Tell that to the "intelligent" aliens if and when they ever land here......Maybe humans are also part of their nutrional requirements........

Atta Boy

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Fukushi -meta consciousness- Registered Senior Member

Maby in the far (or not so distant) future, we come across a planet full of cow's,...

then I bet we would supply these ALIENS to the earthly food-chain

10. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I think the aliens would probably stick to pork instead.......It's the thought of "Mad Cow Disease" that would probably turn them off to "Beef".......

Atta Boy

11. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

All jokes aside: aliens might well not be able to ingest any Earthly food, due to subtle differences in biochemistry. If their metabolism was simply anaerobic, for example, based on sulphur compounds, all meat from their planet would be poisonous to us, and vice-versa.

Even if they did breathe oxygen and use water as a solvent, the specific amino acids making up the proteins in their biosphere might be different from ours (as might the phosphate bases in their DNA: Earthly life uses only 4, and many others can exist). Cattle or human flesh could well seem appetising and tasty to aliens, but - if the nucleic acids were incompatiple - they could derive no nutrition from it.

12. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I think it was either the "Twilight Zone" or "Outer Limits". I saw a show televised back in the 60"s, where a race of very tall smooth talking space travellers landed on earth in a big saucer shaped craft and promised a better life for earth people if they came back to their planet with them.........However, before departing with their space craft loaded with humans, the space aliens left a beautiful book as a gift for the president and people of earth......I believe it was a "Cook BooK" titled: "How To Prepare Man" or something like that.....The space travelers were called "Cannibots"......

Atta Boy

13. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

Oh, really

Well, you ain't wrong.

14. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I would expect us to treat a visiting ET with awe, deference, and courtesy. Why not be friendly in hopes of obtaining new technology? What intelligent person would not be fascinated to learn about their culture, origin, evolution, religion, politics, et cetera?

The above having been said, I do not expect that we will ever be visited by an ET.

I would expect life elsewhere in the universe to have biochemistry very similar to our own. Why assume something exotic like sulphur or silicon based biochemistry? This is probably many reasons to expect carbon based biochemistry similar to ours.

An interesting difference might be organic molecules with opposite handedness to ours. Other subtle differences could make our organic molecules incompatible.

15. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

The best thing you and all of us can do is to watch the great SCiFi movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (Circa 1951) and learn what we would do if an intelligent ET with good intentions landed here......

Atta Boy

16. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

The great human race, already has plans for dealing with ET when they land(a bit late though)

http://popularmechanics.com/science/space/2004/2/when_ufos_arrive/

If you folks are open to the idea that ET can land here, and that the government would cover it up, then why do you never post in the ETI threads - or does the pseudoscience label scare you?

17. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Thanks for the link, crazymikey; I don't know about the welcoming committee, though. A bit Western-biased. Those people might also, unconsciously, try to impose their time-honoured preconceptions on the VIsitors.

18. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

It's a good bet that if any ETs decided to land here on earth and thought they were going to be in danger after once landing, they probably wouldn't land.....Who is going to gaurentee their safety??? The movie "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" showed some secret landing site behind Devils Tower........Any spy satellite could locate any potential so-called secret landing sites in minutes and zoom in for a high resolution photo. Then the word gets out to the rest of the world. The word "secret"??? Nothing is secret in todays society.....Nothing. If a group of ETs landed here, it would be big news in just a matter of hours...........Sorry for ETs.....

Atta Boy

19. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

They won't make themselves known until they think we can stand the culture shock, let alone think we are advanced enough to threaten them. Though I suppose a small expediationary force could be overwhelmed by the unprovoked onsalught of a whole planetful of primitives...

20. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

As the original article suggests: It's not about wether ETI exists, it's more about wether they can do long division. I think they can

Yes, Starthane Xyzth; they have to be cautious, and to accelerate the process, take proaction action, by gradually making their prescence known. They could do this by ---- errr I don't know --- but I could guess ---- skirting across our skies and playing tag with our pilots --- making patterns in our what fields ---- allowing mass sightings --- abducting human beings and giving them information. Of course - just an educated guess

In regards to us becoming a threat: As soon as we venture out into space, armed with WMD; we become a threat. That would be now

21. Norman Atta Boy Registered Senior Member

I imagine that the first manned mission to Mars, the crew will be armed with WMD......Ballbats!!!

Atta Boy

22. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I hope no-one has got WMDs in space at the moment! Dropped from a few tens of thousands of kilometers up, a mere 10-ton lump of rock and iron could be a WMD, simulating a nuclear explosion with its kinetic energy. If provoked by trigger-happy Americans deploying nukes in orbit, aliens could use our own planet's gravity against us.

Then again, the old Project Orion concept achieves slow interstellar travel by using small nuclear explosions to propel a spacecraft. This use of WMDs might be the best way for use to go out and meet ETs, or for them to reach Earth.

23. crazymikey Open-minded Scientist Registered Senior Member

When I say WMD Starthane, I mean it in the broadest sense, to encompass all weapons of mass destruction; biological and chemical warfare, gene warfare, high-power particle beam wapons; EMP weapons, and eventually, as soon as have weapons that can rupture spacetime themselves, then were more than a threat; were dangerous. That could theoretically be possible - scary thought